GPS V question

I just bought (Pick up on way home tonight) the GPS V. I am pretty loyal to Garmin, owning a GPS iii+ for many years now. The few shortcommings for me seem to be corrected in the new unit. 1 thing I did not like about my old unit that I can not find anything on is;

Did they increase the capacity of the track log?

I am doing the Iron Butt on my motorcycle ( 1000 miles in 24 hours) and it would be nice to do the whole thing without having to download it to my laptop.

baloo&bd

The V has a tracklog capacity of about 3000 points. This probably isn't enough to keep a 1000 mile trip in total at the default detail level. If you set it to "low" (Main Menu->Tracks <press menu&gticon_wink.gif you might fit it all in, at the expense of some crudeness in the path.

With the latest firmware upgrade, my legend will now keep 10000 trackpoints in the active log. Somebody said that this was due to memory previously reserved for future firmware expansion now being used for other things.

-- Mitch

quote:
Originally posted by Pneumatic:

The V has a tracklog capacity of about 3000 points. This probably isn't enough to keep a 1000 mile trip in total at the default detail level. If you set it to "low" (Main Menu->Tracks <press menu&gticon_wink.gif you might fit it all in, at the expense of some crudeness in the path. -- Mitch

What you may be able to do is keep an eye on the amount of active track log used up. When it gets near 100 percent then save it and then clear the active and start over. You are allowed to save 10 tracks which you can download later and put together.

The Iron Butt sounds like all road so your tracks will take minimum number of points and you'll probably get the complete trip saved.

Good Luck, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

Originally posted by Criminal:

I upgraded from the III+ to the V as well. My problem is that I can't remember how to do a track-back with my V. I also miss the round compass page too.

Humm, the V does have a round compass page when you are doing offroad navigation...

Trackback is done by hitting the menu button from the track menu page I think. Alway hit that menu button to see if there are any specific options for the page you are currently on.

As Olar stated, that seems to be the best method. I can tell you that your trip will definately not fit in one tracklog.

I found this out real quick when I first purchased mine. I don't remember the exact number, but we had been driving about six hours when I noticed it had begun to overwrite my tracklog icon_frown.gif

If you save it when it gets near full, you can start it over again. Being able to do this ten times, you can more than likely fit the whole trip, just remember to check the track log frequently.

Kar

I have 6,000 tracklog points and 1,000 waypoints on mine, because I use 2 GPS V's.

Having only 19 megs on each one, is still limiting though.

It will be harder to run out of memory now.

On a trip from Lakeland Florida back to Detroit, I ran out of Tracklog memory somewhere in Ohio, so I used my Meridian Platinum. I then saved the Tracklog data from the Platinum, using G7ToWin, then ported that to Mapsource. Interesting to save into one of ten tracklog memories of my GPS V, my Meridian Platinum tracklogs.

GPS V has been the best GPS that I ever had, but as far as loose battery contacts, the worst experience yet. The Batteries are much looser in the old GPS V than the new one.

One nice thing about Magellan GPS units, is the ability to turn on or off pages, like the round compass page, so that you only have what you need.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

Yep, I know the feeling. I miss much of the "FEEL" of my lowrance airmap with all of its special customizable pages and its better basemap (for lakes and streams). But, the V is still better for what it does that my old lowrance could never do.

Garmin could program in just about anything but they wont. They can't please everyone. Too bad they dont release specifications for programming your own firmware. Man, we would have all types of flavors for everyones desires. Wonder if any of the GPS manufactures will ever do that...release a developers kit so that then you could truely have the PERFECT GPS.

Todd

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

quote:
Humm, the V does have a round compass page when you are doing offroad navigation...

That's the problem, you have to be navigating to a point. Sometimes I want the round compass while I'm driving around going nowhere. I know I can get the bar compass across the top of the data page, but I liked the round one better.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

WHat the heck is the difference between an automatic route between two points where you have addeda few vias and a MANUAL route that follows roads???

They seem exactly the same functionality except you can have more manual waypoints than vias???

Todd

Does anyone miss the active route page from the GPS-III+. I bought a III+ after my V and really liked that feature. Liked the highway page display as well. I returned the III+ in favour of a couple of Etrex's but if I ever come across one again I think I will pick it up.

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

The battery spacer Garmin sells with it's handlebar mount solved that problem for me.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

Any odea if they sell the spacer seperate. I use my GPS on a motorcycle and while the bumps are minimal and I never have had an issue with the III+, if they do sell it, why take the chance?

quote:
Originally posted by Baloo&bd:

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

The battery spacer Garmin sells with it's handlebar mount solved that problem for me.

Jolly R. Blackburn

Any odea if they sell the spacer seperate. I use my GPS on a motorcycle and while the bumps are minimal and I never have had an issue with the III+, if they do sell it, why take the chance?

Of that I'm not sure. Sorry.

Jolly R. Blackburn

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

The latest firmware (3.20) for my eTrex Vista stores up to 10,000 points, real handy - it was able to store my recent 1000 miles trip in automatic mode, with great precision. GPS-V is Vista's close relative, may be similar upgrade is on the way.

When you get back, don't forget to try QuakeMap for tracks joining and viewing - and if you make photos you can link certain trackpoints to your photo collection and publish the log here.

Best luck for your trip!

http://www.quakemap.com - redefining Easy...

quote:
as previously posted by Baloo&bd:

I have read in numerous posts that if you call Garmin and explain that you are having battery problems, they will send you the spacer for free. It's worth a shot.

Kar