:Which Magellan Meridian OS Version Do You Prefer And Why.

From what I've heard here in the forums, each unit works differently. Mine works great with 4.02. Others have had to many problems with 4.02 and gone back to 3.12.

I've heard many problems with 4.06. This is keeping me from trying it. 4.02 works fine and 4.06 doesn't have anything compelling to change for.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

My Merigreen came with 3.08. I then upgraded to 3.12, but only for a week or so before going to 4.02.

I used 4.02 for a couple of months, and had the chicken track problem, so I upgraded to 4.03. Have been using it for a couple of months.

I was pretty comfortable with 4.02, but 4.03 just seems a little wackier, but I cant nail it down.

It just seems it takes longer to load maps, redraw, and sat reception seems a little flakier.

But it has been getting me to caches and benchmarks, so I've kept running it.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

What was your chicken scratch problem?

I was seeing something that several other people reported, too: when doing a turn, the track appeared to "overshoot" the turn, then correct itself such that there was multiple tracks at the turn. This would disappear after a screen redraw, at which time the track would appear as you would have expected.

It really was a very minor thing, but the 4.06 seemed to prevent the "wrong" track from appearing in the first place.

I've not heard of your particular flavor of track problem, but if you haven't tried 4.06 it might solve it. OTOH, if you can live with it, you might just want to wait until an upgrade more worth your while comes along.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

Started with 3.08. I have upgraded to 3.12, then to 4.06. I skipped 4.02 because of some horror stories I read about.

I have had no problems whatsoever with 3.08, 3.12, or 4.06.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

I've had some whacky problems with 4.06 (unofficial version from Yahoo Meridian Groups) and while trying to downgrade to a lower version of the firmware, I ended up killing the GPS! I had to send to Magellan for reprogramming. It came back with 4.06 on it -again- !! But here's the funny thing: the GPS seems to behave now. Looks like the reprogramming of the unit flushed out a few cobwebs ;-)

One thing that I love about v4.06 is the card utilities. Once you start using them, you can't do w/o them.

82972_1100.jpg

I don't know if this would have had anything to do with your observed oddities on 4.06, Geo, but your brief description did remind me that it seems to be important to do a lot of "Clear Memory All" executions. Some people reported uploading new firmware and having undesireable functioning until they did some final memory clears.

I heartily agree about the card utilities feature. It makes the SD card function like a little hard drive. Very useful for working with specific data sets (and NOT working with everything else at the same time).

Max

3.12 seemed to be very stable. However, the 4.0x upgrades offer some more features in the firmware. I particularly appreciated a fix so you can't power off accidentally, a card utilities menu, and a position-destination goto line on the map screen.

Max

Just upgraded from 4.02 to 4.06 on my MeriPlat.

Working Good.

What I did:

* Turn off Detail Map, then removed the SD memory card.

* Reset ALL memory

* Forced Software Upload Mode on the GPS

* Loaded new firware

* Reset ALL memory

* Replace Memory card, and reloaded Home waypoints.

* Turned off WAAS, from the CODE Menu (CODE 03)

Working Great.

I turned off WAAS to make sure the unit does not act sluggishly.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

I decided to go with v.4.06..I followed the steps to the letter and now my GPS works BETTER than the old v.3.12..It takes only 35seconds to lock on sats and draw the map. I can get to within 2' of my bench mark in the back yard. My old M-315 with v3.15 is also there with the Merigold. I have used it for a few days now and i'm totally satisfied with its performance. My brother will be happy to know that I didn't mess it up. Thanks to all that responed. If you haven't made the change what are you waiting for. Just follow the instructions, yes you'll loose all your way points but it's worth it. Bye to all..Final post ...NT

There are no new features relative to 4.02, but a bug fix or two. It's not on the web page because--as near as I can tell--Magellan seems to forget they have a web page. They are inexcusably behind in keeping current updates available.

Max

quote:
Originally posted by lthaus:

Howdy folks.. I wanted to double check this because I'm new to my Platinum...

On the meridian web page they only have 4.02 available..

Whats new with 4.06 and why is it not on the web page??

thx.

You can download the firmware (4.06) from the Magellan Meridian Yahoo Group

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

quote:
Originally posted by embra:

There are no new features relative to 4.02, but a bug fix or two. It's not on the web page because--as near as I can tell--Magellan seems to forget they have a web page. They are inexcusably behind in keeping current updates available.

No kidding! They will mail you the upgrade CD, but they can't post it to their web page.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

Yeah, this is a big gripe now. As TotemLake mentioned in another thread, the lawyers have made some sites take down their copywrited materials, including firmware & software upgrades and basemaps. That's their right (and I can understand why they may want to restrict basemap commerce), but if they're going to shut down the outlets we've had to turn to because they don't provide it themselves, they ought to pick up the slack. icon_mad.gif

Max

I have a Magellan Meridian GPS with V3.12.

A friend had exactly the same and tired to update to V4.02 from the Magellan site. He ended up with a dead unit. In his words "transmission errors during the transfer" caused the GPS to go dead. He advised me to pay someone to do it so as to avoid the problem. As he does computer for a living I wonder if he got sloppy and overconfident and skipped a step. Any advice, comment or observation would be appreciated as I would like to try to upgrade but, don't want to go through a dead unit.

Also, I live in the far North of Sweden. There is no detail on the map other than the coastline (and in MapSend Europe the city of Luleå isn't even shown). Is it just that Magellan decided that it wasn't cost effective to have any detail for this area? Suggestions on how to add topo/landmark detail would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance for Your Help!

Jon

Jon

Well, the three times I've done it have been as smooth as I could ask for. It's always a good idea to have fresh (or nearly-fresh) batteries and to follow the directions carefully. If one does run into problems (which in my impression happen but are rare) there are ways to recover from them. So I would want to be reassuring on the subject of firmware upgrades. Use good batteries, be careful, enjoy.

I can't speak to your lack of map detail. You might want to check in to the Yahoo Meridian User's group. There are many European users there, including some Swedes.

Max

Another thing is to restart your computer before trying the upload, then close all open programs (you don't want your computer to stop working while you do this). Once you get it started leave the room for a few min.

Also easygps is a good program to store your waypoint (if you don't have a SD card to save them too) so you can restore them. You can get a free version of it here:

http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/download.aspx .

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.