Pocket PC GPS

OK. I have read seveal posts and just keep confusing myself. I am using a Pocket PC and a Pharos CF GPS card. I have Pocket Streets 2002, Mapopolis, & Ostia. I want to load a map of my city and load say, 20 waypoints to show other caches in the immeadiate area while stalking my current prey. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I seem to only be able to load/choose one waypoint at a time. Is this right? If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for other PPC/GPS software please shout it out!

Glisson

To live in fear is not to live.

With microsofts pocket streets, you can create as many pushpins as you want when you create the maps for use in the pocket PC. I use expert GPS to convert pocket queries to csv files, then import them into streets.

With mapopolis, you need to download and use a mapconverter program. To use it, you need to have microsofts JVM program which is no longer available. If you have it installed on your computer already, you can download and use the conversion program at:

http://www.mapopolis.com/mapconverter.zip

Ostia software I'm not familiar with I'm afraid.

Originally posted by Searching_ut:

With microsofts pocket streets, you can create as many pushpins as you want when you create the maps for use in the pocket PC. I use expert GPS to convert pocket queries to csv files, then import them into streets.

QUOTE]

I see the import wizard on streets but don't see and option to choose csv files and on ExpertGPS I don't see a file conversion tool.

With ExpertGPS, you go up to the "file" function menu in the upper left hand corner. From that menu select "export". When the windows "save as" box pops up you should be able to select save as "comma seperated value .csv"

For Microsoft Streets, I'm using 2003, but as I recall earlier versions were the same. Go to "Data" on the menu bar at the top of the screen. Select the "import data wizard" You should get a windows import files dialog box. At the bottom of the dialog box, there is a selectable box that says "files of type:" select "text" which should show the extensions txt csv etc. You should then be able to find the csv file you created with ExpertGPS and load it into streets.

Hope this helps. Once you get the hang of it it's a lot easier to do than try to describe.

OK. Let's try this for the GPD impaired. namely, ME! I have EasyGPS, GPS2html,GEOclipping, GEObuddy, CacheFinder, GPS Babel, OZI GPS, and GPXview which is for Pocket PC 2002. I am not using an external GPS. I am using a CF GPS card on my PDA. I want to download the easyGPS info on cache pages and use it to create waypoints in PocketStreets 2002. I would prefer to do this without haveing to create new maps continually. Basically just adding pushpins to the database. Possible? It would be super cool if you could surf to the cache page while in the sync cradel and select the cache page and the prog strips the info right from your Pocket Internet Explorer page and creates a new pushpin. Yeah, and Ed McMahann might stop by with some good news.

I tried downloading the EasyGPS info, running it through EasyGPS and saving it as a GPX file. I then transferred it to my PDA and tried opening it with GPXview. My PDA gave me the same look you guys are now! icon_redface.gif

Oh well. If anyone has

1. Any idea what I'm taliking about. ( I'm not even sure anymore)

2. Mastered this process.

3. Likes working with people with a 6 year old's intellect. ( probably spelled that wrong lol)

4. Speaks fluent TechnoNeanderthal

5. Loves a challenge.

and

6. Has nothing better to do.

I would sure appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks,

Glisson

I found the cache. Now I just need to find a clue!

quote:
I want to download the easyGPS info on cache pages and use it to create waypoints in PocketStreets 2002. I would prefer to do this without haveing to create new maps continually.

First of all you need to be able to get pocket queries. GPSBable will then become your best friend. I use a batch file which uses GPSBable to make a pushpin file a TPG file and copy them to variouse direcories so I can be lazy and just look at all those caches I haven't found.

The batch file is for LOC files but GPSBable does do GPX. I've jut not rewritten the file yet. The catch is you need to use the files you have saved from geocaching.com and not via EasyGPS. It changes them. You may be able to do this with the LOC files you dowload using the download to easygps function as long as you save the file first. GPSBable may allow you to appent the current file but you will have to figure that out.

REM *** Unzip the Zip File (Someday when I figure out the command line for zip)

REM *** Create PSP for Pocket Streets from LOC file.

gpsbabel -i geo -f c:/temp/decode/2693.loc -o psp -F c:/temp/decode/Idaho.psp

REM *** Creat tgp for National Geographic Topo from LOC file.

gpsbabel -i geo -f c:/temp/decode/2693.loc -o tpg -F c:/temp/decode/Idaho.tpg

REM *** Delete old Idaho Tpg file

Del c:datamappingIdaho.tpg

REM *** Move New Idaho Topo file.

Move c:tempdecodeIdaho.tpg c:datamappingIdaho.tpg

REM *** Delete old Idaho PSP file

Del C:DataRenega~1Storag~1MyDocu~1Pocket~1Idaho.psp

REM *** Move New Idaho Pushpin file.

Move c:tempdecodeIdaho.psp C:DataRenega~1Storag~1MyDocu~1Pocket~1Idaho.psp

REM *** Delete Old Idaho Mobipocket Book.

Del C:DataRenega~1Storag~1MyDocu~1booksh~12693.prc

REM *** Copy over new Idaho Mobipocket Book.

Move C:tempdecode2693.prc C:DataRenega~1Storag~1MyDocu~1booksh~12693.prc

Wherever you go there you are.

What does a fela have to do to get pocket queries? Sign up as a card carrying member? I think that I got some of what you said but won't know till I try some stuff. Can I load several caches together to make one big fat file of pushpins this way? Can I have more than one set of pushpins in my directory labeled Pheonix?

Thnaks,

Glisson

I have been reading the thread about PDAs and software. I'm lost. <- [i was re-reading this and saw a pun here!) I just got a cf card receiver today. my etrex was stolen and i decided to try a cf card. I am using mapopolis. How can i add a waypoint? Can I add a waypoint? Are they called waypoints in Mapopolis? Can you add Lat and Lon in Mapopolis? Can I ask more questions?

I bought a holux card. It really seems to be fast and accurate. Is there a program out there that is not a mapping program, but just a gps program with waypoints and routes and tracks? Is that what I want? Or not?

Don't feel bad, I started this and I'm lost. I think you might like Vito Navigator. Not a map program but a GPS coordinate program. Once your CF GPS gets a lock it gives you all the standard crap. Number of sats, signal strength, location, current coordinates etc. it will also let you enter your own waypoints ( the coordinates of a cache lets say ) and then show you a "compass" with a line pointing towards the location of said waypoint. Check out the demo at http://www.vito-tech.com/products/?prod_id=9

I have mapopolis and couldn't find where to enter waypoint coordinates at just now but seems like I did it once. I also use Ostia software and can't really recommend it at all. It came with my Pharos CF GPS unit. For in city use I recommend Microsoft Pocket Streets. Version 2001 is free from MS but 2003 is less then $30 and often has a $10-20 rebate. Then you will have all the maps for the US on cds and can cut your own map at will. If you get the free version you can request maps here. http://zodfalcon4.tripod.com/maps2002/index.html

From what I have read your card should be a great unit. How does it perform in your car? Mine does pretty good but plan to get teh external antenae to let the PDA sit in a more natural position for viewing.

Good luck and let me know if you find any apps that work well with your setup or have any more questions.

Glisson

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

With GPXView you can export the pushpin file directgly on your PDA. It saves you the trouble of making a new map every time.

HOly crap! That's even easier!! I even like the pushpin notes better!!! Now if I only could divide Jersey up into 4 seperate sections for export!!!!

Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

I've been playing around and think that I found an easy way to enter lon and lat in mapopolis. The map is very accurate so all I did was find the location and tap the screen near where the cache is. It gives the lon and lat. I tap until I find the exact location and save it a favorite or a location in a maplet. All I have to do is navigate to that point and I'm there. Or not. I will be trying other methods and let you know if they work. The holux card is amazing. I am getting good readings inside metal buildings. When I purchased it the salesman told me I would not need the external antenna as this new chipset was very sensitive. He was right. Have no trouble in the vehicle getting high readings and low POD.

I signed up last night as a paying member here at Geocaching.com and I now have access to pocket Querries. This is awesome! Sent preferences and the file is e-mailed to you. Just import that file to GPXview and you have a nice list of all the caches that met your search. It also exports these locations as MS S&T pushpins. GPXview has a nice look and works great. I didn't understand why it wouldn't work before. You must be a paying member to get the GPX file it needs to view the data on your PDA.

Glisson

quote:
Originally posted by Glisson:

I signed up last night as a paying member here at Geocaching.com and I now have access to pocket Querries.

Welcome to the club. Just going to mention GPSbabel is a great Import/Export tool for moving .loc files to MapSource or .xml to .gpx or whatever.

gpsbabel.sourceforge.net

Originally command line-only, the GUI makes it an everyday tool for me. Give it a try.

Don't ask me. I'm not from around here...

I'm having a blast with this. Scored a cache today and hooked up my PDA to my cell phone and logged my find from the truck before I left to hit another! Who's a gadget geek? Oh. That's right. I am! Querries and GPXview make this much eaiser to handel things in the field though.

Glisson

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

GPSBable may allow you to appent the current file but you will have to figure that out.

gpsbabel -i gpx -f existing.gpx -f new.gpx -o gpx -F existing.gpx

Will slurp up "existing" and "new" and rewrite a new, merged "existing.gpx" file.

If you get into merging, you may want the most recent gpsbabel that supports data filters such as duplicate suppression, as well as ClayJar's "exported" tag that prefers newer over older stuff when merging GPX files of different ages.

The above line becomes:

gpsbabel -i gpx -f existing.gpx -f new.gpx -x duplicate,shortname -o gpx -F existing.gpx

Unfortunately, most of the really cool stuff isn't available in the GUI for gpsbabel and is currently only available from the command line.

alex