Any way to save TXT to my Garmin GPS V

It would be nice to save TXT data of the cache or benchmark description. Right now, I load the TXT file on to my iPAQ but I would like to carry one device. I could just use my iPAQ with Pocket Terrain, but I love the GPS V.

P.S. I'd prefer to be able to just upload a TXT file directly to the GPS V into a "notes" area.

I don't believe this is possible. To my knowledge, there is not a way to modify the system to add a 'notes' program or file.

I know it's another piece of equipment, but I take a PDA (palm) with me. If you become a premium member, you can download tons of cache pages to the PDA (pocket queries). You can also get the EasyGPS files, with the coords, dumped onto the GPS V. It works great for me. When I am in a new area, and have a little time, I will look on the GPS V for the nearest cache, and then I can read the cache page on the palm.

Happy hunting,

Tom

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

I hate to admit it, but I got the joke! icon_frown.gif

I also take the camera and cell phone. Fortunalty, my cell phone is a Samsung palm powered phone. icon_cool.gif

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention the bottle of whiskey that I bring along. Ah... it's for snake bites. Yeah, that's it. For snake bites. icon_wink.gif

You can enter text by going to the waypoint screen where your choices are DELETE GOTO MAP OK

Press MENU and a text entry screen will come up. You have to enter text via the rocker so it isn't easy, but it does show up on mapsource and easygps.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Steve, thanks for the suggestion. Based on your answer, I tried to save a waypoint with MapSource and edit the "Description" field to see if it would save it as a waypoint note in the GPS V. It did!! This made inputting text MUCh easier. The only problem is that the text field in the GPS V is only a few words long. I was hoping to save the text on the location of benchmarks and that won't fit. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.