Garmin 76S route points from Map Source

Ericgps

When I generate a route using MetroGuide the route follows the road perfectly. However, when I upload to the Garmin GPSMAP 76S it no longer follows on the road. It is like it is dropping points during the upload. Is this normal for this unit? Am I doing something wrong? I have the lastest firmware and the latest software update for Map Source installed.

Thanks,

Eric

This is normal operation...routes generated using MapSource and then uploaded to the GPS will not contain every point to make the route perfectly smooth to follow the road precisely. If it did contain every point, the route would contain thousands of points which is not very efficient. Instead, only the points needed to follow the route are used, even if that means that a curved road will only contain a few points. On the other hand, the GPS V's auto-generated routes (generated inside the GPS V itself) look basically the same on it's moving map as what MapSource will generate/display...but of course does not use the thousands of points to make the route smooth. It just basically draws/follows the route on the map and uses minimal points within the actual route itself.

This is known as "route rubberbanding" and the Garmin GPS V is (I believe) the only handheld that does this. The Street Pilot III also does this. If you want more waypoints in your routes you can use Streets & Trips to manually create routes and then open the routes in GPSUtility and upload the route to your GPS with all waypoints in the route. This is what I use with my 76S.

First off thanks for the replies. At least now I know I'm not doing something wrong.

Could someone tell me a little more about Streets & Trips?

I have found that the uploaded routes don't work very well for the highway page. It will diplay as if I'm off-roading rather then driving on the road.

The biggest disappointment to me is not knowing the proper direction to turn in the Map mode, when the unit signals an "approaching turn". Am I missing something?

I apologize if any of my questions have been asked before. This is the first gps I've owned. I hope to start my geocaching searches soon once I understand my gps better.

Thanks,

Eric

Streets and Trips is a Microsoft program. It can be found for under $25.00 with rebate offers from places like Sams Club, Walmart, Office Depot etc. The 76S doesn't do turn by turn routing. You'd need the Garmin GPS V or Streetpilot III for that. The highway page isn't much good for driving on streets but is good for going straight from one waypoint to another as in off-roading or on the water. When you create a manual route in S&T and open it in GPSUtility, you can name the waypoints with the direction you should turn. Such as right1, right2, left1, left2, etc. I only use Mapsource for uploading maps so I can't comment on anything else it can do other than the maps simply can't compare with the quality of S&T maps and the shear ease of use of S&T.