Year long tripper needs your opinions

Guest Kozachenko

Guest Kozachenko

Hi everyone,

Ok. This is fast becoming my favorite forum. icon_smile.gif Here's my situation. I am contemplating a trip through ALL of Europe. East and West. West including the Ukraine, Poland, Moscow etc. Possibly Finland. Then I plan to also hit north coast of Africa...Morocco across to Egypt. Israel and then somehow circumnavigate the taliban land for obvious reasons. Then hit India through to Japan and off to Australia.

So, basically that half of the world. South America will have to wait. icon_wink.gif

I plan to take a year off to do this, and would like to get everyone's recipe for GPS products that would aid me in this journey. Money isn't an option within reason. For example, I don't want to spend $5000 on gps alone. Although if up to a few grand would hook me up correctly, I'm game. I would hit the major cites, but travel the smaller roads in transit to experience the smaller obscure towns. So detail maps of major cities in those countries is important. As is detailed roads in between and off the beaten track if possible.

So to review

Q1) what hand held device

Q2) what maps for said device

Q3) If your a Mac user, what's working for you in terms of cable for said device, and what version of Virtual PC is running smooth. (I understand I'll have to use VPC to run windows, as NOBODY that makes a GPS have a proper Mac solution. If I'm wrong about this please correct me.)

Everyone has such good input in these forums. I look forward to your responses. Think of this question as a wish list to travel that side of the globe.

Regards

Koz

Oh yeah...Rechargeable batteries a good option? icon_smile.gif Otherwise, I'm carrying a #&^$ load of batteries. icon_wink.gif LOL

First and most importantly you need a travel companion... I'm reasonable icon_wink.gif

Honestly though that sounds like a heck of a year. Sorry no techie advice to offer... just jealous. I sure hope you plan on documenting this trip... be a great read for the green at heart.

Guest Rootbeer

quote:
Originally posted by Kozachenko:

I am contemplating a trip through ALL of Europe. East and West. West including the Ukraine, Poland, Moscow etc.

You didn't ask about this, but you should know that not every country welcomes use of GPS equipment. In particular, one American was charged with espionage in Russia when found using a GPSr. (The authorities later decided he was merely a fool and not a spy. icon_biggrin.gif )

Whether you're an American or not, you should check out these advisories from the US State Dept. (If you're not an American, your own country probably offers similar travel advisories.)

http://travel.state.gov/gps.html

http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html

quote:
Rechargeable batteries a good option?

With a recharger and adapter for local voltages, it should be possible, when you can find an outlet to borrow overnight... But you can buy AA cells in most parts of the world these days, and I'd expect that weight-for-weight you'd be better off purchasing them as you go, rather than recharge.

There are also solar-powered rechargers. But I wouldn't get one for a trip like this; you'll probably have better uses for daylight hours than waiting for a slow charge to complete. Best to plan for what to do when all of your batteries are dead, though; if your GPSr breaks down two weeks into your trip, make sure you can still have a good time!

ould do everything you need. You could also get an antenna for it for better reception. Surf the Garmin site and see what sort of maps you can get for it. That's probably where most of your money will go.

Regarding laptops, there are software applications out there for the Mac that connects to GPS units. I guess I'd have to know what you need the computer for before I can help you there. Daily logs, perhaps?

On a side note I was planning on doing a Cache Across America trip this month, but have decided to postpone it for the spring. So I'm interested in hearing how you plan on preparing for this trip. I'll definitely have to get something other than a Saturn by then.

Jeremy

Guest Kozachenko

icon_smile.gif Ok, here are some more details.

First off, my journey wouldn't begin until next summer. I want to continue working as a digital artist/photographer until then so I can continue saving the greenbacks! icon_wink.gif

Most importantly. I MUST take these months until summer to plan plan plan. It's not a trip I'm taking lightly. Safety reasons and all.

This much I know so far. I'm going without a wrist watch!

The powerbook is for archiving my many thousands of images I'll be taking with my Canon D30 Digital Camera. I'm really into other cultures and want to explore.

Rootbeer, THANKS!!! I would most definitely not have thought of that. Those are the things I need to get my #&*$ together with. icon_wink.gif But with forums like this and others relating to what I'm doing, my adventure will be an experience.

Ok, the next bit of info might shock and amaze....but I'm thinking about doing it on a tadpole style recumbent bicycle!! If you don't know what it is, check out this site...

http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/frameset.html

My exploits would be posted either daily or weekly on the net. I'm looking into web service via the world and the logistics involved. I'm aware that it's not going to be easy, but I'll find some solution. Hopefully without looking like a spy. icon_smile.gif Think of it as a "Lonely Planet/Pilot Guide" for the web. Only one thing. I hope to have some kind of interaction with the web viewers. For example, I'll post options of destinations. Say one week I'll post "do you want me to go here...or there" type of options. Majority rules! And I'll go. People could live vicariously through me. Cool eh! Maybe just nuts. But in the end, it'll be an adventure.

Back to the laptop (beside being important for my photography and the net) I imagine I'll need to upload to the GPS from country to country...right? SO I was wondering in a previous post how many maps could be sent to the GPS's. I'm looking in the direction of the Garmin and Magellan models. I've really enjoyed reading ClayJar's review of the Magellan. I'm trying to find a store in Toronto that carries it.

The battery comments are great. I'm thinking about rechargeable and having multiple sets to swap out while others recharge. I like the solar idea. Although I'm not sure how effective it is. I'm investigating.

Anyhow, you all can see it's going to be an undertaking. I'm up for it but need to plan. GPS's are going to be a tad important. icon_wink.gif Keep the opinions coming. So far I'm learning with every new post.

Regards

Koz

Guest joshuabrand

quote:
Originally posted by Rootbeer:

if your GPSr breaks down two weeks into your trip, make sure you can still have a good time!

You may consider purchasing a Garmin Etrex as a backup. It has fewer features than the Garmin V, but it weighs only 5.3 ounces and is EXTREMELY durable. I have an Etrex Venture and love it. They're also quite reasonably priced for the features you get. There's 5 different Etrex's to choose from, so you can choose the one that fits you.

Guest bunkerdave

If I were biking through an area, I would take with me some good topographic mapping software. I know of several great programs for the U.S., but I have never tried to find one for Europe/Asia. If you go with the bike, this will be a MUST, as the topography will have a direct impact on your progress.

I have not used the Magellan Meridian, but I have seen it. It has all the features of my trusted Map330, but more rugged and a larger screen. Also has expandable memory. You will NEED this to carry all those maps. The Meridian Gold is enough(and then some), but for another $30 you can have the platinum which includes electronic compass and barometer. If anyone can make good use of both, you will on this trip. That is just under $300 for the whole shooting match, and should be all the GPS anyone needs. Be sure and get enough smartdisk expansion chips to carry your maps.

Which brings up my next question: Does any company offer GPS maps of Europe and/or Asia yet? I think Magellan has Europe covered, but I haven't heard anything on the Map330 YahooGroup about Asia.

Since you will have your laptop, you can make good use of mapping software. Be sure and get one that does routing, and is GPS compatible. It will be much easier to find this (maps of the areas you are visiting) for a laptop than for a GPS. This will chart the best route to your many destinations, and if it has GPS interface, will also show you exactly where in the world you are. Be sure and download your tracks to the laptop regularly, so you can see all the cool places you went and share it with others.

That is all I have for now. Happy trails.

Guest PneumaticDeath

ps you can use. If this is the route you want to go, then you can use software specifically for the mac like Mac GPS Pro (garmin only).

Just out of curiosity, why won't you wear a wristwatch? Does it label you as a westerner (and therefore a target)? I know that the GPS will also serve as a universal clock, but it may not always be convienient.

This sounds like a grand adventure... I wish you luck.

-- Mitch

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

An absence of a wristwatch means there is no exact schedule, nor is one needed. No guidelines or appointments to keep. A true vacation, in other words icon_wink.gif

That's how I interpreted his statement as well. But personally, I haven't worn a watch since I got my eMap a year and a half ago. Since the eMap is always with me there is no longer a need for a watch.

Guest WaylandersMA

That would be an amazing trip.

If you are going Macintosh to GPSR you do not need to do Windows. You could use http://www.macgpspro.com to upload/download maps, waypoints, tracks. They update frequently and might have good suggestions for topos for that area. You would need Windows for upgrading the software but I would do that the month before I left and stick with the version throughout the trip. (A simple glitch or bug could ruin the GPSR, rare event but known to happen on software upgrading).

My suggestion would be to get a GPSR now. Play with it, practice with it. They are very easy to use but you don't want to spend a lot of the trip staring at the GPSR and not checking out the scenery. I found myself on my first geaochache trips arriving at the cache and not knowing what path I used getting there. It takes practice to not focus so much on the GPSR.

By next summer who knows what would be the best GPSR? If you got a GPS V or a Merigold now it might turn out to be a great backup for the really light weight, color, 4GB memory GPSR with topo of entire world that you could buy next June.

Paul