daylight savings time

A geocacher claims he forgot to set his gps III to daylight savings time and because of that, he couldn't find the cache. He says that the old time had his coordinates off by 25' to the west. My gps V adjusts for the time change automatically and even if it didn't, I didn't think it would matter. Any feedback on this topic?

I'm not sure about every unit, but my etrex legend will automatically update with daylight time if it is set to. I remember seeing somewhere in the setup menu the option to have the change to daylight time to either be done automatically or not done at all. Mine did it automatically so I'm all set.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Rick:

A geocacher claims he forgot to set his gps III to daylight savings time and because of that, he couldn't find the cache. He says that the old time had his coordinates off by 25' to the west...

Nice try, but that theory can be quickly repudiated:

1. Go outside, turn your GPSr on, give it time to "find itself" and settle down, and then set a waypoint at the current position.

2. Go to the setup screen and change the time to one hour earlier (i.e. "standard time").

3. Return to the map screen and set another waypoint.

4. Compare the coordinates of the two waypoints. They will be the same. You can even change the time to show a 12-hour (or any other) offset, and it won't change your location one bit.

If this person's GPSr got him within 25 ft. of the actual cache location, he needs to know he was geocaching on a GOOD day! icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Rick:

A geocacher claims he forgot to set his gps III to daylight savings time and because of that, he couldn't find the cache. He says that the old time had his coordinates off by 25' to the west...

Nice try, but that theory can be quickly repudiated:

1. Go outside, turn your GPSr on, give it time to "find itself" and settle down, and then set a waypoint at the current position.

2. Go to the setup screen and change the time to one hour earlier (i.e. "standard time").

3. Return to the map screen and set another waypoint.

4. Compare the coordinates of the two waypoints. They will be the same. You can even change the time to show a 12-hour (or any other) offset, and it won't change your location one bit.

If this person's GPSr got him within 25 ft. of the actual cache location, he needs to know he was geocaching on a GOOD day! icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by JeepNAz:

Doesnt matter in Az... we dont bother with DST. The last thing we need in the summer is another hour of sunlight!!

Doesn't matter here either. The rest of y'all just need to get into the 21st century and throw out that silly archaic DST thing.

Day light saveing time was made to save power not to give farmers more day light. Ben Franklin came up with the idea so people could save money on candels and oils and such. The US save $7 million ever day that we are on daylight savings time.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Winter get long when you go to work and return in the dark. I wish we'd stay on Daylight time year round in MN!!!!

quote:

Doesnt matter in Az... we dont bother with DST. The last thing we need in the summer is another hour of sunlight!!

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

JeepNAz@aol.com

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Winter get long when you go to work and return in the dark. I wish we'd stay on Daylight time year round in MN!!!!

quote:

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

JeepNAz@aol.com

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

afaik the time is sent out over the gps signal. i have a gpsIII+ and i know that it sync's itself up every time it gets signal. i think that's the case because it's actually part of how the gps standard works and hence would be the same on all gps recievers that take advantage of that feature. 25' off was probably due to something else like weak batteries.

quote:
25' off was probably due to something else like weak batteries

Man....25 feet can't be considered "off"! And to those of you who want DST year-round....Wait 'till you have to send a teenage daughter out to a cold dark bus stop on a Winter's morning! That's all we need is another hour of darkness in the morning.

7871_200.jpg

The time that your GPS-r displays doe not matter. The satellites transmit in UTC a.k.a. GMT, and your receiver receives in UTC. The ability to set your GPS-r to your local time is only for your veiwing convenience--you can live in the central time zone in the United States and have your GPS-r set for Katmandu, and the accuracy will still be the same. Happy cachin'!!! 15T

www.1800goguard.com

quote:
Originally posted by lansink5mn:

Be careful what you ask for; you just might get it. Parts of Indiana actually are on DST year round, technically. Indiana used to be in the Central time zone. At some point, we adopted DST, and then we liked it so much we kept it all year long. Now most maps show us as being in the Eastern time zone, and some politicians and other people ignorant of history think that means we don't have DST. So now, as they do every April, they're once again trying to get us to "start" using DST. If they keep this up, pretty soon we'll be at GMT+1 instead of GMT-5, and we still won't change our clocks twice a year.

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Be careful what you ask for; you just might get it. Parts of Indiana actually are on DST year round, technically. Indiana used to be in the Central time zone. At some point, we adopted DST, and then we liked it so much we kept it all year long. Now most maps show us as being in the Eastern time zone, and some politicians and other people ignorant of history think that means we don't have DST. So now, as they do every April, they're once again trying to get us to "start" using DST. If they keep this up, pretty soon we'll be at GMT+1 instead of GMT-5, and we still won't change our clocks twice a year.

All of this makes it very difficult to figure out when to leave Illinois to pick up someone at the airport in Indianapolis. icon_mad.gif What time is it in Indianpolis. icon_confused.gif

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

All of this makes it very difficult to figure out when to leave Illinois to pick up someone at the airport in Indianapolis. icon_mad.gif What time is it in Indianpolis. icon_confused.gif

rdw

Daylight savings time should be standard time, and in the fall, it should jump FORWARD another hour. I don't care if it is light in the early morning, I want it to be light in the late afternoon when I am home and awake. So far as concern for school kids goes, start school later, I'm sure they would all like the extra time to sleep in anyway, and studies show that many teenagers need to sleep in and that current start times are too early for the average teens body clock.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I wish my GPS V had an option to automatically set to the correct timezone based on the unit's calculated location.

I also wish it had an option to account for timezone changes when calculating ETA across a time zone.

Maybe have ETA to next/final and Local ETA at next/final.

Of course, being involved with aviation, maybe I should just leave it on UTC and to heck with timezones.