Apple OS X, Virtual PC 6.0, and Topo software question

MacDaddy

I will be specific to avoid any Mac vs. PC issues.. I would like to run the National Geographic Topo software via Virtual PC 6.0 on my Powerbook, OS X.2. Any experienced Mac users with this experience? Would like to know what Windows version you use, pro's/con's, etc.

All advertised discounts apply to final purchase price...

I use VPC 6.0 on my Macs (dual processor 867 mghz) and a (Tibook 550)

I've used NG Topo and Delorame's 3D Topo via VPC.

On my 867 it renders maps and updates the screen fast enough that I have no problems.

On the TiBook 550 it's slow enough on screen udates that I don't like to use it.

So it really boils down to processor speed and to some extent what kind of graphics card you are using I suppose.

As far as Windows version you'll find Windows 2000 will run the fastest on VPC6 (at least according to Connectix's old forums).

Somethings you can do to speed up VPC is to crank up the Usage % in preferences for when VPC is in the foreground. The more RAM you have the better it performs as well.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that OSX 10.3 (Panther) doesn't break anything. VPC 6 runs so flawlessly with OSX 10.2.6 that's it actually running more stable than my PC at work. Go figure.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"I'd like to buy the world a coke, but I only have fifty cents"

I am currently running VP6.0 with Windows 2000 Professional and TOPO! on OSX 10.2.8 It runs like genuine PC software, but I just don't like the environment. That's not a slam...I just prefer OSX.

Fortunately, NG has announced that they will release the state series for Mac on October 30, 2003. They also told me via phone that current owners will probably be able to buy just a MAC install disk for around $15. (The map files are identical) Is that great news or what?

quote:
Originally posted by photosaurus:

I am currently running VP6.0 with Windows 2000 Professional and TOPO! on OSX 10.2.8 It runs like genuine PC software, but I just don't like the environment. That's not a slam...I just prefer OSX.

Fortunately, NG has announced that they will release the state series for Mac on October 30, 2003. They also told me via phone that current owners will probably be able to buy just a MAC install disk for around $15. (The map files are identical) Is that great news or what?

That's great news. I love OSX. ;D

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"I'd like to buy the world a coke, but I only have fifty cents"

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Time for the Snoopy Dance! I guess the 4% of the market thing doesn't matter in this case.

I had signed a petition a month or so ago, I think it was for NG, but I'm not sure.

And to think, I was about to go out and buy a PC laptop just to run my mapping software...Way too scary, whew!!

Thanks for the heads up photosaurus..

R.

All advertised discounts apply to final purchase price...

quote:
Originally posted by photosaurus:

Fortunately, NG has announced that they will release the state series for Mac on October 30, 2003.

Good to hear! I run VPC 5.0 for MapSource, TOPO and a work-related traffic analysis program. If I can eliminate one of those I'll feel one-third better.