New Garmin eTrex S/W Downloads

Guest bob_renner

Guest bob_renner

Garmin just released firmware updates for the following units:

eTrex Venture/Mariner - 2.21:

eTrex Legend - 2.25:

eTrex Vista - 2.13:

This is the latest production software as of 05/17/01.

Also, the GPS76 and GPSMAP76 have POI downloads dated 05/16/01.

See their web site for the downloads and a description of the changes.

http://www.garmin.com/support/download.html

Bob Renner

Guest bob_renner

Before anyone loads the new s/w in your Vista or Legend, it looks like there may be a bug in it that causes it to lock up if there are no satellites being recieved. There's a thread in sci.geo.satellite-nav that is discussing this. It may self clear after a while, but I'd recommend holding off until the dust settles. Also, make sure you have a copy of the old s/w update file before you load the new one.

Bob

Guest bob_renner

OK. It looks like Garmin got that nasty little bug fixed. Their web site has new downloads available with the comment "Fixed bug that was introduced in software version 2.25 that caused the unit to freeze for several minutes when the Poor Satellite Reception page pops up." (The 2.25 is the Legend version).

The new versions are:

eTrex Venture/Mariner - 2.22:

eTrex Legend - 2.26:

eTrex Vista - 2.14:

See their web site for the downloads and a description of the changes.

http://www.garmin.com/support/download.html

Make sure you download the old version as well. See my previous post for the urls for those files.

I haven't tried the download yet. I'll probably try it tonight.

Bob Renner

Guest bob_renner

I loaded 2.26 into my eTrex Legend last Friday. Everything seems to work correctly. I used it to find 5 caches on Sat. I also tried to see if it would lock up as 2.25 would and it appears to work just fine. I covered up the antenna and waited until the message screen came up. It had no problem with input from the buttons and would start receiving sats once I uncovered the antenna.

Bob Renner

Guest Hawk-eye

I had a rather unpleasant experience with my Vista (with the 2.13 download). The map page kept flickering off to a blank screen with faint cross hatches.Then back to the map ... sometimes ... you could hit the zoom button and you'd get the map back for a short time .. I've upgraded to the 2.14 version and so far so good. I have also noticed that when I load maps from the topo disk ... at the end of the download I get a message that the communications have been interupted ... although all seems to have loaded. Anyone else had this problem? I'm almost ready to go back to 2.12 version. Garmen was of little help on this problem other than to say it might be associated with the new software. On another note ... they also answered question about the "lock to road" feature ... it only works with the metro software ... not for example with the included base map or to their topo program ... just in case anyone is interested. Other than this I love it ... but I love my 12Map as well and it never had a glich!

Guest MountainDiver

I have noticed those cross hatches on my Legend too. It seems to be when you are on the edge of the area covered by the maps you have downloaded. It looks to me as if the unit can't display the downloaded map and the base map at the same time.

In my experience, if you are in the area covered by the downloaded map then you see it but any areas that would be shown on the screen but for which you didn't download a map is all cross hatches. When you move outside of the downloaded map but your position is such that part of the downloaded map would still be shown on the screen the entire screen is cross hatch. Finally, when you get far enough away from the area covered by your downloaded maps that the unit doesn't try to display them, then the basemap finally pops up. This only seems to happen at fairly high zoom levels. If you zoom out far enough then the problem doesn't seem to occur.

I noticed this because I have a large chunk of north Georgia (where I go hiking) loaded into mine but I work on the south side of Atlanta. I see this happen whenever I cross into or out of the downloaded area.

(I would download the rest of Atlanta into the thing but the maps are so out of date that half the highways around here are missing.)

------------------

The MountainDiver

N 34 01.649

W084 27.211

"GPS satellites are nice because they can answer two of the three most common questions in my life: "What time is it?" and "Where am I?" If they could also somehow determine whether I have any clean underwear left, the bases would be covered." --- The Brunching Shuttlecocks

Guest Hawk-eye

Actually ... it was doing it in the middle of an area I had completely downloaded. Flickering back and forth. I just went back to the original software ... I'll see how it does tomorrow on the way in to work. On my 12Map when you went off the downloaded map you just went into a crosshatch area ... none of that flickering crap.

Guest Hawk-eye

WELL ... it was a great day today when I checked and found Garmin had put in another upgrade for the etrex Vista ... and you know what? ... it seems to work! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed ... but so far so good ... give it a try.

Guest robamy

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

...Garmin had put in another upgrade for the etrex Vista ... and you know what? ... it seems to work!

I put the patch in on Friday an all seems to work just fine.