Directions to waypoint on Palm? Such a beast?

MMMike

quote:
Originally posted by MMMike:

Has anyone come across Palm software that shows the direction to a waypoint?

Mike

"Your getting warm, warmer, hot, your almost boiling...oh no, warm, cold, frozen, no where near it" icon_smile.gif

if you have a GPS hooked to it (I have the Companion/visor) and the included software does it, and www.gpspilot.com software works with it too.

No matter where you go... there you are!

Yes I have a Palm IIIc with a Rand McNally GPS. I am currently undecided between GPSPilot's Atlas and Mapopolis. They both are doing find with the maps and tracking my position.

BUT...what I am looking for is software that will point to the direction of a waypoint. Not point north or simply show me the direction I am heading, but to point in the direction of the waypoint, or, in the direction of the cache. icon_smile.gif

Mike

quote:

Yes I have a Palm IIIc with a Rand McNally GPS. I am currently undecided between GPSPilot's Atlas and Mapopolis. They both are doing find with the maps and tracking my position.

BUT...what I am looking for is software that will point to the direction of a waypoint. Not point north or simply show me the direction I am heading, but to point in the direction of the waypoint, or, in the direction of the cache. icon_smile.gif

Mike

Atlas will not do this, but thier

tracker http://www.gpspilot.com/UGTracker.htm

or

Fly http://www.gpspilot.com/UGFly.htm

will, they have working demos so try them both to see which you like best.

infact mapopolis has free d/l and a pay one as I recall.

the only gripe I have with gpspilot is that they 35.00 you to death to get all the features you want(each program)/or need.

No matter where you go... there you are!

quote:

Mike

Magellan Nav Companion can do that, but it might or might not work with your receiver. Cetus GPS can also point to destinations, but it doesn't currently work with waypoints (give the author a few more beta cycles; it's on his todo list) Here's an excerpt from a recent post I made about these two on another topic:

quote:

Another program I've found that's pretty good is Cetus GPS (http://www.cetusgps.dk/). This is copyrighted freeware and is actively under development. In the current beta, it supports navigating to a point, but it doesn't support keeping a waypoint database, so you'll have to enter the coords by hand. One thing it does do that I haven't found any other programs for is averaging (Tracker might do that, too, but I've only used a demo copy of Atlas, so I couldn't tell you.)

Another program that might or might not be useful is Magellan's Nav Companion (http://www.magellangps.com/downloads/Nav_Companion.zip) which is designed to work with the Magellan GPS Companion but may work with other receivers as well. Its strong points are that it can keep a waypoint database (though there is currently no way to work with that database on the PC) and it can navigate to any point in the database. This can be handy if you need to find your way back to the car after your caching expedition (Cetus would require you to manually transfer the coords of the car from the memo pad, where it logs waypoints.)

It occurs to me that I might have given the impression that Cetus doesn't let you log waypoints. In fact, it does, but it logs them in the memo pad and it's currently incapable of then using those logged waypoints for navigation.

quote:
Originally posted by parkrrrr:

Another program I've found that's pretty good is Cetus GPS (http://www.cetusgps.dk/). This is copyrighted freeware and is actively under development. In the current beta, it supports navigating to a point, but it doesn't support keeping a waypoint database, so you'll have to enter the coords by hand. One thing it does do that I haven't found any other programs for is averaging (Tracker might do that, too, but I've only used a demo copy of Atlas, so I couldn't tell you.)

Aaaah. Now see this will work. I saw this software before, read through the included documentation until I found:

"The current version of Cetus GPS does not support navigating to a selected position showing the distance and bearing. This is a planned extension....". The current Beta version does support it though.

I've downloaded and looks like it will do a great job. As you pointed out, if it could save waypoints, then it would be almost perfect.

Thanks ,

Mike