e-trex handlebar mount for a quad

sling sand!

I recently purchased the handlebar mount for my e-trex and installed it on my quad. Every time I try to use it the gps shuts off after riding 30 or 40 feet. It seems to be the vibration. But the package claims it is for atvs. Has anyone had this problem????????????? I returned the gps and got a new one, But this one is the same way.

This is usually a problem with the batteries not making contact correctly. Try stretching the springs to hold the batteries tighter or you can also wrap the batteries in electrical tape (around them to make them fatter) which will hopefully hold them in place. This problem has been discussed in the past, you can try doing a search to see other answers.

Cheers

Nick.

when i got my Legend in the summer and biked around the a lake (95 degrees), over every rough bridge it seemed to shut off. and i got responses like 'it's the batteries' and such. but later in the year (50s to 80s), have done the same route w/o any problems. so i'm thinking heat (or temperature in general) may factor in too.

quote:
Originally posted by sling sand!:

I recently purchased the handlebar mount for my e-trex and installed it on my quad. Every time I try to use it the gps shuts off after riding 30 or 40 feet. It seems to be the vibration. But the package claims it is for atvs. Has anyone had this problem????????????? I returned the gps and got a new one, But this one is the same way.

Do you have it mounted flat, or upright? I've used my eTrex on both my mountain and road bike (mounted flat), and have never had that problem.

3608_2800.gif

I also had the same problem. I believe it is due to the fact that the replacement cover that is used for the handlebar mount produces a slightly larger clearance inside the battery compartment. The problem was much worse with Maxell NiMH batteries than the other two brands that I have (NoMem and Panasonic). I solved the problem on my unit by doing two things. First, I measured the different NiMH batteries that I had and I always use the largest of the three. There was a surprising amount of difference in the length and circumference of the batteries. Second, I placed a piece of tape on the inside of the handlebar mount's cover. I didn't put tape in the unit or on the batteries because that made the stock cover too difficult to get on.

That's the long of it.

Freecoder

sling sand!,

Having the unit mounted flat with the display up makes the problem as bad as it can be. I think the worst shocks would come at the bottom of a fall such as hitting a rock or a limb with an ATV. If the cover is in the direction of the fall, the batteries would tend to be forced in that direction which can jar them loose just a bit (enough to turn the unit off). Try two pieces of electrical tape, one on each half of the cover. Make them just large enough so that cover is very snug.

Freecoder

I've been trying to make a map of a great mountain bike park. I got the handlebar mount and put the eTrex Summit on it.

3 days ago I did a 25 mile ride, and there was some rough stuff. It NEVER shut off.

Yesterday I did about 12 miles and had some problems. It shut off several times, and appeared to be when I hit bumps. Over the course of the day it got worse and worse. In fact by the last trail it was shutting off every 30 feet or so (this wasn't the most bumpy trail, but it wasn't paved).

Temperature was about the same both days. I replaced the batteries with fresh ones with no noticeable change. I checked to see if they might be bouncing around but it's very tight in there.

I also met another biker on the trail with an eTrex Venture who said that he had the same problem and he didn't think it was a contact issue either. His hunch was that the unit was shutting itself down due to the vibration. I'll try the tape thing, but I'm wondering...

PS What's the post with the link 2 above? Doesn't work anymore and I'm sure that it references something that will cure all my ills. icon_smile.gif

Just took my Summit, banged the heck out of it against my padded chair. This should have been much more jarring than my bike ride. It never turned off.

Could it be something besides the battery contacts? Everytime I checked it yesterday and then again today it seems that the contacts are quite secure.