Which GPS will find addresses

I have used several GPS units and currently love using my Magellan 330X. My problem is that often I will need to find an address and the unit itself will not let me search by address (only road or such). I know that Mapsend will let me do it when I at the computer but I want to do it from the GPS unit. I used a Garmin Streetpilot III and even an eTrex that had that feature but I prefer something from Magellan or something reasonably priced (less than $300).

Does the new Sportrak Pro let you search by address? How about the Meridian series? Do any of them do routing?

What Garmin product is best at it (aside from the $999 Streetpilot III)? Do any of them do routing?

Please let me know. Thanks!

Hi Team Geddings. The Garmin V is an excellent unit that does autorouting on the fly. Check out the Garmin website, or do a search on the forums here for some testimonials on the unit. A very attractive price for a unit with its' many features. icon_smile.gif

"Gimpy"

Hi Team Geddings. The Garmin V is an excellent unit that does autorouting on the fly. Check out the Garmin website, or do a search on the forums here for some testimonials on the unit. A very attractive price for a unit with its' many features. icon_smile.gif

"Gimpy"

Your MAP330 *IS* capable of address searchs! I do them on mine all the time. Address search works the same on the following Magellan receivers: MAP330 (yours!), Meridian (all versions) and the SporTrak (all versions). Of course you can only do address searches in the areas covered by the maps loaded on your unit from Mapsend Streets, Streets & Destinations and (I believe) Topo.

All recent Garmin mapping GPS receivers also do address searches when loaded with MapSource MetroGuide, CityNavigator (Street Pilot III) or CitySelect (GPS V), but not worldmap, R&R or Topo.

Steve Simpki

I believe you need the latest firmware for the GPS MAP330, and load in some Maps( http://www.gps4fun.com/mag_destinations.html ) into your GPS, for your area. Then it should show up. You will have to look up "address searches" in the User Manual. www.magellangps.com is under reconstuction at the moment. I was going to download the manual, but could not get anywhere in the magellan website.

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on June 24, 2002 at 07:04 AM.]

The MAP330 has the exact same address search features as the Meridian and SporTrak lines. With small variations (SD card access, speedometer screen, etc.) they run almost identical software.

The instructions on how to search for a street address can be found on page 43 of the MAP330 manual. It is basically as described by Geoffrey above. Although it is not obvious where to find the English version of the manual on Magellans site, it can be found at:

http://www.magellangps.com/assets/manuals/oldprod/manual_GPS300.pdf

(Thank Ken Ash for this link)

You might also look at the SporTrack manual for a description of newer features (Road Screen, Vertical Profile, semi-auto route creation, etc.)not covered in the MAP330 manual.

The latest official software release for the MAP330 is 2.08, but I beleive the address search feature was there since the 330 was released.

You can find a pre-release version of V2.09 at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/m330/files/

The most obvious feature it adds is Waypoint Projection.

You can find a summary of all software changes at:

http://celia.mehaffey.com/allory/magfeat.htm

Steve Simpkin

After looking at the larger MAP330 manual that I downloaded today it appears the only differences in the text are that they added reference to the MAP330M (Marine). Since they have identical software, this doesn't add any new information. So you should still download the SporTrack manual for a description of newer features (Road Screen, Vertical Profile, semi-auto route creation, etc.)not covered in the MAP330 manual. It can be found at:

http://www.magellangps.com/assets/manuals/newprod/manual_SporTrakSeries.pdf

This also describes the Waypoint Projection feature found in MAP330 version 2.09 (not officaly released yet).

Steve Simpkin

I checked that on-line manual and got home and checked my 330x and sure enough, the answer was right there. I had not thought to highlight the downloaded map in the database screen. Works great! Thanks a lot for the help and I will now slink off to work on that id 10 T problem I have been told about. icon_frown.gif

Y'all have been a tremendous help and I appreciate your patience. icon_smile.gif

Tommy

Team Geddings

WGeddings@ftc-i.net

I checked that on-line manual and got home and checked my 330x and sure enough, the answer was right there. I had not thought to highlight the downloaded map in the database screen. Works great! Thanks a lot for the help and I will now slink off to work on that id 10 T problem I have been told about. icon_frown.gif

Y'all have been a tremendous help and I appreciate your patience. icon_smile.gif

Tommy

Team Geddings

WGeddings@ftc-i.net

If any Meridan users want to know where to find the info on this it is at page 45 in the users manual cd

Just tried it and it works, type in the street name first it will give you a list of streets with that name, just pick the one you want then

type the street number.........

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

All who look are not lost

If any Meridan users want to know where to find the info on this it is at page 45 in the users manual cd

Just tried it and it works, type in the street name first it will give you a list of streets with that name, just pick the one you want then

type the street number.........

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

All who look are not lost

quote:
Originally posted by Team Geddings:

What Garmin product is best at it (aside from the $999 Streetpilot III)? Do any of them do routing?

Please let me know. Thanks!

MAP76(S) will do address search w/Metroguide loaded. V will do it with autorouting as well. Many other Garmins will do it, but I don't have the list.

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif