Too Heavy?

Guest tak1

I have read other posts in this forum that take into question the weith of GPS receivers. Some are complaining that they are too heavy. I just mailed my 315 to Ontario to get repaired today. It weighed, with packaging, but without batteries, .233 Kg. For our American friends that is 0.5126 lbs. That would not be noticable in a backpack full of hiking gear. Now all of you lurkers are going to say that the batteries probably double the weight of the pacckage. That's not the point that I am trying to make. In this world of micro-electronics, current technology allows us to make a unit that tells us exactly where we are on the earth, and weighs less that 1 pound. The guys that are saying that receivers are too heavy are a little out of touch with reality and are taking this wonderful technology for granted.

L:K

Guest Moun10Bike

I've never thought that GPSRs are too heavy per se, but I do feel that all things being equal, the lighter the unit the better.

quote:
That would not be noticable in a backpack full of hiking gear.

I don't know about others, but I rarely hike with my GPSR in my backpack. I usually have it in my hand or mounted on my hiking stick. Trust me, after 6 hours of hiking like that, the weight is noticeable. Hence the design of the eTrex series.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

32H/128F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

I simply love these Energizer Lithium AA's. They are half the weight of regular alkalines, provide nearly 3 times the run time in my GPSR (YMMV), and are not affected by extreme cold.

Oooh! Those look awesome! I hadn't considered them until recent threads here started discussing them. It sounds like they may be perfect for snowmobiling, too! We were in -40° temperatures in West Yellowstone last February (although at those temperatures the display on my GPS went completely blank)!

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

32H/128F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

quote:
not the point that I am trying to make. In this world of micro-electronics, current technology allows us to make a unit that tells us exactly where we are on the earth, and weighs less that 1 pound.

in this world of micro electronics current technology allows us to carry a unit that tells us exactly where we are on the earth, and weighs less that 1 pound that we didn't have or need to carry before.

THe bold is the point - if we must carry another object w/ us , it better be light.

Guest Rich in NEPA

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

We were in -40° temperatures in West Yellowstone last February (although at those temperatures the display on my GPS went completely blank)!

The temperature range listed in the specs for the Lithium batteries is -40°F to 140F°, and they have a 10-year shelf life, too.

I believe that NiMH rechargeable batteries are only good to about 32°F. I use them religiously in my digital cameras because they have a high energy density and great economy, but when I'm out photographing in cold weather, I switch to Lithiums. I only use Lithiums in my GPSR. Another terrific use is in small emergency flashlights that you might keep in your car or in your backpack. Not something you use all the time, but when you do need it, you're always praying that the batteries are still good!!!

~~Rich in NEPA~~

------------------

====================================================================

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

====================================================================