the new Garmin Rino ????

OuttaHand

I really like the specs on this new Garmin combination unit called the Rino 110 or Rino 120. (For those of you not familiar with it, it combines a GPSr and an FSR Walkie Talkie in one unit). It has some pretty nice features. But before I plunk down cash for it, I'm wondering if it has the sensitivity of my present Garmin GPS76. Anybody used one? Seen one in action under tree cover, etc.? My Garmin 76 works really nicely under tree cover, etc. I don't want to trade that sensitivity and accuracy for this new one just because of a built-in FSR transeiver. Any thoughts, comments, first-hand accounts?

I'll go out on a limb and say it looks blah. I'm sure the GPS part of it is the usual Garmin quality and easy to use. The radio part looks less than stellar especially the GMRS radio. A little background. FRS radios are limited to 1/2 watt and can only transmit in simplex mode. Simplex mode is simply transmitting and receiving on the same channel. On the other hand GMRS radios have a limit of 5 watts and can transmit in duplex mode. Duplex mode is transmitting on one frequency and receiving on another. So what, you ask. With duplex mode you can use a repeater. A repeater is just what it sounds like. A powerful retransmitter that can greatly extend the range of a radio. Repeaters are put up on mountain tops to overcome the lack of line of sight. Now that you have some background info on the difference between FRS and GMRS I'll tell you why the GMRS version of the Rino sucks. The radio is only one watt and will only operate in simplex mode. This is a big deal since the range of both radios is quite limited. FRS radios claim a range of up to 2 miles. That is an outright lie. Only in the lab can that range be achieved. That's why GRMS came about. To give people a choice to get more range with having to get a HAM license. Garmin has neutered what could have been a great product. Rant over.

Well you can sometimes get that distance (2 miles). I once was able to talk to some one over 5 miles away while I was on a bike ride in the black hills (I knew this because he sent me the coords of where they were at). But 2 is possible where I live ( which is the great plains).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I know the FRS portion doesn't have a GREAT range, but I don't need to talk for miles. I like the idea of having the two units in one. Saving batteries and space while out-and-about seems nice. I wasn't aware the screen was THAT much smaller. I'll have to check those specs more closely. I was hoping someone here may have had the opportunity to get a hands-on test unit reaction.

Gotta second what Phantom4099 said. (with a tip of the hat to Ramjet in that I know exactly what he is saying, too.) I have talked 8 miles line of sight with two different FRS radios. One of these was only a 300 mW radio instead of the full 500 mW that is legal. If you were airborn the range would probably be 20 miles or more. I have heard of mountain to mountain communications in excess of 50 miles, as well.

On the other hand, (in line with what Roger Ramjet is saying) using them for motorcycle to motorcycle communication with helmet mounted headsets, a mile was more typical, especially if one of us got out of sight of the other over a hill or around a curve. These high frequency radios are very line of sight and may be of extremely limited use in very heavy woods/steep canyons. They won't talk through very much granite.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

You do know that the screen on it is going to be extremly small (approx. have the size of an etrex, I think)?

Wyatt W.

It all depends on what you're comparing it to. The screen looks to be shorter, but wider than the eTrex (it's square, rather than a rectangle). However, the number of pixels falls between the standard eTrex and the high end models:

Total Pixels -

Yellow: 8,192

Rhino: 25,600

Vista: 46,080

3608_1400.gif

quote:
To give people a choice to get more range with having to get a HAM license
Well, you don't need a HAM license, but you doneed to be licensed! Legally, the FCC says you need to purchase a license to operate GMRS. Now, that being said, I sell radios, lots of them, and I personally know of no-one who has jumped through these hoops in order to operate a 2-watt simplex, hand-held radio! If you were running a 200 watt base station, using the repeaters, then you bettr get the license! But with these small wattage hand-helds, I don't think the "radio-police" are going to notice you...

quote:
My latest info is moving the release date to December now

I am curious....Where did you get this info? I am a dealer and can't get any info., and it's driving me nuts! I have about a 30 person waiting list for these so far. I am afraid that when Garmin finally releases them, they are going to divy them out with an eyedropper! They must really be having some problems with these to have missed the hunting seasons and a lot of the Christmas season, if this is true!

quote:
They must really be having some problems with these to have missed the hunting seasons and a lot of the Christmas season, if this is true!

I've heard they're waiting for FCC approval for the 'one touch' coordinate sending feature to be approved. I'm not sure what the catch is on it, but there's something about that feature that got the FCC's underwear in a bunch.

Chip

quote:
Originally posted by Seay me:

I've heard they're waiting for FCC approval for the 'one touch' coordinate sending feature to be approved.

That's been my guess all along.

quote:

I'm not sure what the catch is on it, but there's something about that feature that got the FCC's underwear in a bunch.

It may have something to do with sending data over a frequency that has previously only been for voice.

The Rino (according to most sites) is supposed to be released in late September. But Garmin has been saying late (insert month here) for a long time. They either don't know what they're doing or have little interest in releasing the Rino because they have something bigger and better in the development pipeline.