Another E Trex Legend question about the "setup"

Ok under the main menu you go to the setup screen and there is an option marked North reference.

My question is what should mine be set on and what do each mean with regards to navigation.

1)True

2)Magnetic

3)Grid

4)User

What are the differences and definitions?

Sorry for total newbie question icon_frown.gif

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

Well, you are just telling your Gps how to reference the landscape. If you set it to True, it will provide you with bearing numbers based on the true north pole. If you set it to magnetic, your bearing numbers will match your compass. It knows your position and will figure out the deviation from true north for magneic north. Where I am we have a deviation of 18 degrees east. I like to use TRUE because that IS true North and most maps use true north. Others don't want to adjust for the difference on their compass and so use Magnetic.

Grid, I believe, you can use to match other types of Map Grids, like UTM. And USER I believe you can input your own deviation, but I'm not sure on these. Hope this helps

2573_200.jpg

I'm one of those who like to use Magnetic, and for the very reason EraSeek mentions. I liek to look at the bearing on my gps then site with my compass without thinking about it (because hey why should I have to think about it?)

Even though the difference is only 7 degrees here where I live.

Maps and compasses "speak" different "languages" Maps speak True North, while a compass only knows Magnetic North. You can select which "language" your GPSR "speaks" by selecting the North reference in setup that matches what you are using the GPSR with. If you are trying to match it up with a map, then select True North. If you are using it with a compass, select Mag. North. If you aren't using it with either, then it doesn't matter one bit.

7871_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by The KGB:

Ok under the main menu you go to the setup screen and there is an option marked North reference.

My question is what should mine be set on and what do each mean with regards to navigation.

1)True

2)Magnetic

3)Grid

4)User

What are the differences and definitions?

Sorry for total newbie question icon_frown.gif

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/avatar/46113_400.jpg

_The KGB_

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=46113

the differance between Magnetic and true North varys it depends where you are. Here in NM the differance is 11 deg. As far as getting to way point it dosn't matter what you have it on in the set up. The only difference that I can see is if you have the e-trac the arrow in the display will be off some. Not that you can tell the difference. Hope that helped

KF5DM Ace