Rino channel/squelch selection affect distance?

Hi,

How does channel/squelch code selection, if it does at all, affect the range at wich two units can communicate?

Are there differences between these codes that directly relate to sound clarity? Is leaving the unit on "0" squelch code better than "27" for example?

thanks,

todd

Todd,

The squelch code should not affect distance. The code refers to a sub-audible tone that is sent in addition to the transmitted sound. When tuned to a squelch channel, the radio will only play transmissions over the speaker if it has the same sub-audible tone.

As the squelch channel is only a sub-audible tone that is transmitted in addition voice, it does not have any affect on the distance transmitted.

The only minute exception might be if you are very very far apart and your radio can't detect the tone because there is so much static. In that case, if you tune to squelch-channel 0 (which means ignore the tones), you may here the faint transmission.

Hope this helps,

-Paul

I don't own a RINO, but I work with radio equipment, and own several commercial radios myself. Here is what I can suggest:

Channel selection affecting range:

Not sure about this model, if they are all FRS channels, then there is no difference. The frequencies are so close together that any propogation differences are not going to be there. If the radio is FRS and GMRS, then there may be a slightly better range if it is running more than the 1/2 watt limitation on FRS on the GMRS side. Usually the increased power doesn't translate into a huge difference.

Squelch Code affecting range: In my humble experience, this function, also called CTCSS (continuous tone coded squelch system) has little affect on range. Sometimes if you are on the real fringe of coverage, there may be some issues, but that is when you are on the edge anyway and signals are close to unreadable anyway.

CTCSS shouldn't affect sound quality as the tones are sub audible, below what we can hear. There are some of the higher tones, up around 250 hz that you can sometimes hear as a low buzz in the background of the audio. Most quality commercial radio gear has a low cut filter in the audio part of the radio that can eliminate this buzz. Not sure if the Rino has that or not.

In short, use the coded squelch, it shouldn't have any real noticible affect.

You have to go out, you don't have to come back.

What you may be experiencing is a problem of blocking. Like this.

You have your tone set to 100. Someone else on the same channel has their tone set to 120. You cannot hear each other. But if he is closer to you than the one you are talking to, you will not hear him on the other tone, nor will you hear your partner when he is talking because his signal is BLOCKED by the nearer user. Hope you get my meaning.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!