GPS and Digital Camcorder combo

How about this:

A Digital Camcorder that is designed to work with any GPS, and view the GPS info on the camcorder's flip out screen?

You can save the Position Info to the Camcorder tape as you are recording, and be able to view GPS information in the camera's view finder or flip out screen. Then the camcorder could tell you what mountain your looking at. Just imagine a Camcorder with Topo Software loaded on it, and you are hiking in the montains(No "where was this video taken" stuff)

GPS-Camcorder.JPG

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

You could probably do it with a simple circuit and most GPSr's now.

Put the GPSr in NMEA mode, 4800 baud. Use a little modulator circuit (you could use a high tech modem chip, or an ancient TarBell ('Kansas City Cassette' to us foggies icon_wink.gif) circuit. Then, record the NMEA stream on audio.

I don't know about the latest recorders, but our older Sony would allow me to kludge external audio on "right" and still keep the built in mic recording on "left".

When you play back the tape, demodulate the audio, and feed the decoded NMEA stream back into a PC program, etc.

You could probably fit the circuit in a connector body and steal juice right off the data port.

-jjf

You could probably do it with a simple circuit and most GPSr's now.

Put the GPSr in NMEA mode, 4800 baud. Use a little modulator circuit (you could use a high tech modem chip, or an ancient TarBell ('Kansas City Cassette' to us foggies icon_wink.gif) circuit. Then, record the NMEA stream on audio.

I don't know about the latest recorders, but our older Sony would allow me to kludge external audio on "right" and still keep the built in mic recording on "left".

When you play back the tape, demodulate the audio, and feed the decoded NMEA stream back into a PC program, etc.

You could probably fit the circuit in a connector body and steal juice right off the data port.

-jjf