Terraserver down?

After reading the latest topic concerning USA Photomaps I went and downloaded the latest version of it, 1.99. I quickly installed it and tried the new zoom levels (8, 16, 32, and 64 m/pixel). Needs new map images, no problem, I've a cable connection and downloading is a breeze. Except nothing downloads. I get an error instead. Specifically, "TerraServer is Unavailable September 30, 2002. We will be performing hardware maintenance on the TerraServer Database and Web Servers from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm Pacific Daylight Savings time. We apologize for the inconvenience. We should be back on-line soon." Bummer. icon_frown.gif Not only does this effect USA Photomaps, but Lost Outdoors is also not displaying maps or images.

I wonder how many days it will take MS to complete the one day maintenance that was scheduled.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

Thanks for the explanation, Couch Potato. Doesn't it just figure, that yesterday was my first attempt at using LostOutdoors.com. I couldn't get it to do anything, and was wondering if it was "just me". I am totally incompetent with mapping software or doing anything else with maps above and beyond the Mapquest and TopoZone links from the cache pages. I haven't even loaded the City Select maps into my Garmin V. So why did I pick right now to get up to speed, when LostOutdoors.com is down?

Because Bill Gates hates me personally. I am convinced of this.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

I can't even get Version 1.99 to load. I get the zip file OK, but when I click on USAPhoto in the zip, "unable to locate component" dialog box comes up stating that it can't findijl15.dll. Even though the dll. is included in the zip file. Running XP Professional & have ZoneAlarm Pro running, but in ZA, I've got it set-up to accept anything from JDMCox. Never had a problem before with USA Photomaps. icon_confused.gif

"Gimpy"

Gimpy,

It sounds like you are trying to run the USA Photomaps right from the zip file. Here's a technical explanation of why it didn't work. Pkzip, when you clicked on the USA Photomaps.exe program actually unzipped the executable to a temporary file on your hard drive, and ran the temp file. While the ijl15.dll is in the zip file, pkzip didn't know to unzip it along with the exe. The solution is to unzip all the files into a folder, use windows explorer to then run the USA Photomaps exe from there.

Hope this explains it a little more.

Fig

Not sure what all was updated, but some of the new map images that I've been downloading tonight are from within the past couple years. Big improvement over the 7-15 year old images that were there before. Though it only seems to be in limited areas, it's good to see the updates.

Maybe the downtime at terraserver was worth it.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.