Topo & Roads & Recreation data loaded at same time????

With reference to the Garmin line (gpsmap 76 (76s), GPS V & Vista, is it possible to have the topo map data loaded along with the better road detail from the roads & recreation cd?

Same question for the Magellan Meridian & it's Topo maps loaded along with cities & highways.

The reason I ask is I've been using the previewer on the garmin sight to examine each software to determine which I want to own first. I like the topo data of the Boundary Waters Canoe area, but would like to have the better road data for the road trip to Ely, MN. Is it possible to have both sets of data loaded simultaneously or switching between the two without having to download from a computer????

Keep in mind I do not have the GPS yet and am leaning towards the Platinum or the 76S

Thanks icon_confused.gif

You can load any variety of maps up to the memory limit. You can load a chunk of Topo for one area, a chunk of R&R for another area, and a load a chunk of Metroguide for yet another area. You can also load different maps covering the same area. In this case, there is an display order. Only one type of map will display at a given time. They will not overlay. There is an order of precedence which I do not recall at this moment. If you want to see a lower map, you can temporarily disable the higher precedence maps.

BTW, this info is for Garmin. I don't know Magellan's system, but I imagine it would be similar.

rdw

As for Magellan Meridian products:

-Officially-

You can only have one map from one source loaded. This map can consist of up to four rectangular chunks. The chunks to not have to touch. This means that you either have Topo or Streets-and-Desitnations loaded.

-Non-officially-

Only one map at a time. However, you there are methods that will allow you to load multiple maps to a SD card, and choose among the maps at will. This means that switching between maps only takes at most 30 seconds, and you can mix and match Topo and Streets-and-Destinations.

A future firmware revision is supposed to make this easier and officially supported.

Dunno 'bout the topos, but I have the 'Metroguide with Roads and Recreation' for Canada, and I can load pieces of both sets as well as the enhanced Canadian basemap all at the same time. The detail setting in the Vista's setup seems to turn off or on some layers that are dependant on which map set they reside on, but that's actually a good thing.

One thing I've found; there is an error between the Metroguide and Enhanced basemap that results in a couple of roads in my area having apparent breaks in them where the map sets change. S'pose I should send a bug report in to Garmin.

The Garmin units handle data from differents maps differently. The III+ overlays all the maps for an area so you can get multiple versions of the same road showing up at the same time which is kind of weird! The V can have maps loaded for the same area as well but they implemented a precedence for the maps. For example, City Select has better detail and it has precedence over the other ones. The enhanced basemap has better detail than the unit's basemap and so it'll show that one for the areas where there's no coverage with City Select.

HTH,

G

This might be slightly off topic, but on your PC, if you are running Mapsource from your hard drive, you can open two Mapsource programs and have Topo on one and Street and Recreation on the other on your screen at the same time. No overlay though. The road wouldn't line up anyway even if you could because everything loines up in a different area since no two maps are designed the same.

ALan