Macintosh User

Part of my GPS hardware selection criteria is the ability to interface with a G4 Macintosh. I want to be able to download the maps and use the other software available.

Is one model GPS better than others for this compatability? I am leaning to the SportTrack series.

What software would I use to take advantage of the wp downloads used on the geocache site?

thx

Hi!

There's no Map_to_GPS software, runing native on Mac icon_frown.gif

Yes, you can upload/download waypoints/routes MacGPS_Pro GpsY, MagWay, GPSBabel and some others, but not the Map.

The ability to upload a Map to GPS_Unit is a Monopoly/Propierty of Hadware resp. software developers (Garmin, Thales (Magellan) etc.), and none of them have a Mac verion.

So, you must use VirtualPC, to run these Apps.

It's impossible to create your own Maps and upload them to Unit wihout to use MapSource (Garmin) and MapSend (Magellan) software. OK, for Garmin you can create our own Maps (goto Russian_GPS_Forum , if you can read russian_languge, there's info and soft), BUT, finally, you must use MapSource to create a Garmin_friendly_Map_image_File. Warning: it's relatively hard to done, but it's the only possibility to have a street/topo_level_Maps for Regions, not covered by original software.., or if You wanna have a National Geographic or similar Map on your Unit

I use Magellan_Meridian, and, AFAIK, @ this Moment no way to make own Maps from other raster/vector Maps and use them...

But it'nt your Problem, if You live&geocash in US icon_biggrin.gif

So, for Mac,VirtualPC is a must... and, before you buy a SD_Card Reader/Writer or USB/Serial Adapter check the compatibility with VPC (My PQI SD_Reader/Writer does'nt work with Virtual PC)

rgrds, Mix

I don't think GPSy has much useful functionality when it comes to geocaching. And what mix_ said is correct, your only hope of downloading maps to your GPS is by using the GPS manufacturer's software and run it under Virtual PC.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Well, there is kinda/sorta another option, but it does require a "real" PC or an emulator at some point in the procees.

If you use Mapsend to *create* the map images and just want to do the *uploads* under OS/X, you can do that with a supplementary program at http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net called magxfer.

YOU CANNOT CREATE OR EDIT MAPS WITH THIS PROGRAM. YOU STILL HAVE TO USE MAPSEND FOR THAT.

This is most helpful if you have a unit that doesn't have SD (i.e. an ST or a 330) and you have a cache of "canned" maps that you flip between and you don't want to reboot into Windows or start up an emulator.

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

I don't think GPSy has much useful functionality when it comes to geocaching.

I haven't used GPSy yet (BTW, it runs on Mac OS versions as far back as 7.6), but I plan to get it soon (when I get my new computer). According to the website, it does allow for two-way transfer of waypoints and tracks, so it should be useful for geocaching. About the only thing it can't do is transfer MapSource maps to Garmin devices, as far as I can tell (probably a similar shortcoming with Magellan devices too, but I don't know for sure) -- and that can be done with VirtualPC (or in my case, I can use my SO's Windows computer). And that's not all that necessary for geocaching, since so much is done off-road.

My new computer will be a (used) PowerBook, and I hope to be able to use it as a car navigation system, in conjunction with my eTrex Legend, GPSy, and DeLorme Street Atlas (which GPSy will talk to) or something similar. One of the intriguing things about GPSy, IIRC, is that it can use any image as a map. This theoretically means that I could scan an AAA highway map -- or get a topo map off TopoZone -- and calibrate it for GPS use by entering coordinates of a couple of known points.

I have a iBook running OSX and I just bought a Legend and Mapsource Topo. Last night with a little tweaking I got Mapsource to work with all features working and transferring data both to and from the unit using VirtualPC and some modified cabling. Tracking with the iBook works too. It is very fast and works really well. Email me for details if you want.

Vince & Carol,

I would love to hear about your set up and what you had to do to make Mapsource work. I have a Powerbook G3, a new Vista (just purchased today), and am about to go on my first hunt. I assume the cable you are refering to is the PC 9 pin to Mac 8 pin cable and also what version of mac os and virtual PC are you running? Thanks for you time with this, I am sure it will help quite a few users.

Take it easy,

Chris

It's good to see other Mac users here!

I recently bought a Garmin eTrex Legend - it comes with a PC serial cable. You can attach it to your Mac's USB port using a Keyspan PC serial adapter (which has the 9 pin DB connector). The Keyspan adapter costs about $35 and there are drivers for both OS8/9 and OSX on Keyspan's website.

There is some free Mac software for transferring wapoint information to/from your Mac - see http://www.chimoosoft.com/gpsconnect.html

While you're there - also check out the free Terrabrowser for the Mac.

As others have mentioned, Garmin's MapSource program is the ONLY way to get map data into the a Garmin GPS - and this is a Windows program. So you'll need to run Virtual PC with this program. I just got my copy of Garmin's MetroGuide version 5 last night and I'll try it today. It was only $79.99 from Amazon.com (which is $10-$20 cheaper than I found elsewhere). icon_cool.gif

Well, I've fiddled with Virtual PC 3 with Windows 98 for a couple of hours - and Garmin's MetroGuide version 5 still won't speak to my eTrex Legend. I've searched the web and found that while some people have success with Virtual PC and the MapSource program's - I sure haven't. Has anyone had success using a 700 MHz iBook with a Keyspan USB-PDA adapter and VPC3 with Windows 98?

quote:
Originally posted by fab44:

Well, I've fiddled with Virtual PC 3 with Windows 98 for a couple of hours - and Garmin's MetroGuide version 5 still won't speak to my eTrex Legend.... Has anyone had success using a 700 MHz iBook with a Keyspan USB-PDA adapter and VPC3 with Windows 98?

How far do you get? Did you enable the adapter in VirtualPC? Did you auto-locate the proper Comm Port in MapSource? It will work but is far from Mac-like plug'n'play.

I installed the latest Keyspan USB-PDA drivers (2.5) from Keyspan's website. I configured VPC to enable the USB port and the Keyspan PDA adapter is checked. But once Windows 98 is up and running, the Keyspan configuration program (Windows version) doesn't see the Keyspan adapter. Metroguide won't see the GPS either - tried clicking on the serial autodetect button (from inside Metroguide) and also manually trying all 8 Comm ports at speeds from 9600 to 57600. Any suggestions?

FYI, I verified the Keyspan adapter works fine with my GPS - as GPSConnect works just fine.

Yep Virtual PC version 6 is probably your best solution. Works flawlessly for me and Mapsource.

Personally I would steer clear of the Keyspan USB adapter however. I had a few (both the old one and the newer Highspeed adapter) and they gave me a lot of problems with OSX. Iogear's adapter works perfectly and I've heard of a few other brands which work well with OSX.

Just be sure to install the PC DRIVER via VPC rather than the MAC drivers. Things run smoother that way.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by fab44:

I installed the latest Keyspan USB-PDA drivers (2.5) from Keyspan's website. I configured VPC to enable the USB port and the Keyspan PDA adapter is checked. But once Windows 98 is up and running, the Keyspan configuration program (Windows version) doesn't see the Keyspan adapter. Metroguide won't see the GPS either - tried clicking on the serial autodetect button (from inside Metroguide) and also manually trying all 8 Comm ports at speeds from 9600 to 57600. Any suggestions?

FYI, I verified the Keyspan adapter works fine with my GPS - as GPSConnect works just fine.

I had problems with Keyspan's adapter and OSX/VPC. I finally gave up and bought the iogear adapter at someone elses suggestion. Works perfectly.

It was money well spent. One thing -- did you open PC LISTS from the menu in VPC and check the USB PORT tab? Sometimes you have to manually click on the USB ADAPTER to activate.

Jolly R. Blackburn

I'd like to get my GPS running on my G4 powerbook - I've got 2 GPSr's - a Garmin eTrex Vista, and a Delorme Earthmate USB. The Earthmate works great on the Dell L400 that I've got, but I'd love to be able to plug it into the Powerbook G4 for an upcoming trip to Olympic National park.

I've got Connectix Virtual PC for XP, and the Delorme routing software launches OK, but I can't get the antenna working yet. I plug it into the USB port, the light flashes a few times, then it stops. Any clues as to what I should be checking for? I've downladed new USB drivers for WinXP from Delorme, but that hasn't helped.

Thanks,

DCH

quote:
Originally posted by kokomo61:

I'd like to get my GPS running on my G4 powerbook - I've got 2 GPSr's - a Garmin eTrex Vista, and a Delorme Earthmate USB. The Earthmate works great on the Dell L400 that I've got, but I'd love to be able to plug it into the Powerbook G4 for an upcoming trip to Olympic National park.

I've got Connectix Virtual PC for XP, and the Delorme routing software launches OK, but I can't get the antenna working yet. I plug it into the USB port, the light flashes a few times, then it stops. Any clues as to what I should be checking for? I've downladed new USB drivers for WinXP from Delorme, but that hasn't helped.

Thanks,

DCH

So does your Vista work? OR is it JUST the Earthmate which isn't being recognized?

Did you check your PC LISTS and ensure that the USB ADAPTER is checked under USB?

Also try firing up VPC first and THEN plugging in the Earthmate. OSX will often sieze conrol of the port if you plug in a device and THEN launch VPC.

Only other thing I can suggest is to go to connectix website and do a search on their forums for Earthmate. There are a LOT of useful tips for GPS users over there. That's where I found most of the solutions I was looking for.

Jolly R. Blackburn

OK, finally got around to trying the IOGear USB to Serial Adapter under OS9.2.2 with Virtual PC 3 and Windows 98. After installing the IOGear drivers under the MacOS and Windows, Metroguide 5 now works just fine. Thanks for the good advice. I've just finished sending 7.5 MB of Maps to my eTrex Legend. Serial sure is slow - the transfer process took around 25 minutes (at 57600 bps).

Howdy,

Greetings to all...I've been lurking for some time, and thought now was as good a time as any to chime in.

The Keyspan adapter works perfectly for me in Jaguar. I use it all the time with MacGPSPro, which I would recommend over GPSy (another app I've used a lot). MacGPSPro has much better tools for calibrating maps and images. For a recent vacation, I was able to download beautiful 1m-resolution georeferenced aerial photos of a lava flow, import them into MacGPSPro, then upload the tracks of my hiking paths and sample locations.

I'm also learning my way around VPC 6. I had the same issues getting the Keyspan adapter recognized...the solution turned out to be very simple:

1) Install the Keyspan software on the virtual machine.

2) Connect the adapter to the USB port, then in VPC itself, under the settings for the virtual machine, click on COM1 (or COM2). You get a window with a list of radio buttons, one of which says "mac serial port" with a pulldown.

3) In the pulldown will be "modem" and something like "USA19QW23P1.1." That's the Keyspan adapter. Choose that and you're good to go.

Now does anyone know how to get Windows Update to work in VPC?

vv

J.O.

I can verify almost everything jondru says. I run MacGPS Pro on my G4 through a Keyspan adapter without a hitch. I have also used GPSy Pro, and in my opinion it's junk. Would strongly recommend against it. I bought GPSy first and it was money down the drain. Support was a joke. Never worked right. On the other hand James Assoc. support for MacGPS has been outstanding. Free updates on a regular basis, and it actually works!

I have a copy of VPC but haven't tried it yet, mostly because is have ready access to a Windoze laptop for the functions that require it. Thanks for the tips on using VPC. I will definitely try it out.

eyeinhand

Looks like I may be getting a new G5 soon (!!), and was hoping to finally use VPC in conjunction with MapSource to put maps on my GPS. Now I find that, for the time being at least, VPC won't run on the G5. Seems Connectix did something odd, and now Microsoft will have to release a patch. Hopefully it'll be free, considering I just ordered VPC (well, Microsoft Office Pro) last week. :D

When I finally get the G5 and Microsoft releases the patch, I'll post some details here about the experience.

FYI - Bad news if you haven't heard, but Billie Boy's evil empire bought out Connectix and VPC a couple of months ago. That's why you have to get the patch from Microsoft. Now Microsoft controls the only working option for running Windows apps under any other operating system. But, hey, at least they're not a monopoly.

Yes, MS owns Connectix now. They really like VPC and it is now the internal standard for emulation (useful for setting up massive testbeds).

There are currently no indications of killing off VPC for Mac (it is extensively used in MS's Mac division, for example).

The current version of VPC (6.1) is just a re-branded version that has all the MS product ID and other registration crap, but the code is identical.

However, rumor has it that there is a new version under development at MS that is supposed to come out later this year. For this reason, I would not expect there to be a patch...they'll expect you to change versions.

vv

J.O.

Apparently Microsoft has stated that they're looking into releasing some sort of patch that will at least allow G5 users to use VPC. My guess is that a future version may actually take advantage of some of the G5 instructions for some extra speed (64-bit would be nice, but I'm guessing that's a ways off).

Aha! Yet another Mac user! Forgive the long introduction here, but a little background might be handy. I'm currently running a 17-inch flat screen iMac with OSX, and VPC 5 with Win2000. I have the little yellow Garmin eTrex with its PC cable which works fine to up/download waypoints via EasyGPS on my old Win95 PC clunker (don't laugh, it's paid for icon_smile.gif ). I've loaded EasyGPS and ArcView on VPC and use a floppy to transfer waypoint data back and forth from Mac to PC. Ideally this is an intermediate step I'd like to avoid (in addition to letting me get rid of my old PC), so I need to get a USB/serial adapter to allow me to connect my GPS directly to my iMac. Now for the question:

Does anyone have any experience using the USB/serial connector from a Palm Pilot cradle with their Garmin? Since I already have one of those, I'd hate to purchase yet another adapter. Yup, I'm cheap -- look how long I hung on to my Win95 machine!

Thanks for the input.scochran@usgs.gov

----------------------

The shore is an ancient world, for as long as there has been an earth and sea, there has been this place of the meeting of land and water. -Rachel Carson

quote:
Originally posted by coralgeo:

Aha! Yet another Mac user! Forgive the long introduction here, but a little background might be handy. I'm currently running a 17-inch flat screen iMac with OSX, and VPC 5 with Win2000. I have the little yellow Garmin eTrex with its PC cable which works fine to up/download waypoints via EasyGPS on my old Win95 PC clunker (don't laugh, it's paid for icon_smile.gif ). I've loaded EasyGPS and ArcView on VPC and use a floppy to transfer waypoint data back and forth from Mac to PC. Ideally this is an intermediate step I'd like to avoid (in addition to letting me get rid of my old PC), so I need to get a USB/serial adapter to allow me to connect my GPS directly to my iMac. Now for the question:

Does anyone have any experience using the USB/serial connector from a Palm Pilot cradle with their Garmin? Since I already have one of those, I'd hate to purchase yet another adapter. Yup, I'm cheap -- look how long I hung on to my Win95 machine!

Thanks for the input.scochran@usgs.gov)

----------------------

The shore is an ancient world, for as long as there has been an earth and sea, there has been this place of the meeting of land and water. -Rachel Carson

Are you talking about a USB/Serial PDA adapter? If so, yes that works with a Garmin and VPC. Depending on the brand of your adapter you'll want to install the drivers.

Keyspan requires the Driver on the Mac side and NOT on the VPC image.

But some adapters (like the Iogear which I personally prefer) work best if you DON'T install the drivers on the Mac OS but on the VPC Disk image.

Do a search here on the forums. Various PDA adapters have been discussed in great detail in the past. The Keyspan adapter works great for waypoints and so forth. But it's not so good for uploading MAPS to a unit like the GPSV. (at least from my own personal experience.)

Jolly R. Blackburn

Glad to see I'm not the only one running a Mac with a GPS.

My new Legend should be waiting for me when I get home tonight, ready to start caching!

I have VPC 6 loaded on my G4 DP at work and on my iMac at home. Any chance windows 98 will work? I've got a copy of that and would rather use that than try to get ahold of a copy of XP, that is if 98 will work fine for Garmins software.

So, let me get this straight. Using GPSConnect and Terrabrowser, I can upload/download waypoints, backup my GPS info, basically manage my GPS from OSX. The only think I will need VPC and the Garmin software for is for map downloading. CORRECT?

FWIW: I manage a small(7) ALL MAC network. I'm not much of a tech guy, but since it runs so smoothly, there's not much tech maintenance to do!

[This message was edited by Ric Wiessner on September 11, 2003 at 11:07 AM.]

I was given (well, my kids were given) a 600MHz PC. I transfer my maps with that, under Windows 98. You'll need a serial-USB convertor for map transfer through VPC, the best I understand it. To be honest, if that PC wasn't given to us, I would have bought a $300 'deal' system somewhere before I would have messed with VPC, the cost is the same, or less going with a cheap PC...(and all the $5 Wal-Mart games work with it too - great for the kidsicon_smile.gif)

I use www.macgpspro.com to transfer info to my Garmin's, the other (free) GPS programs didn't seem to do much of anything but back up my waypoints. Useful, yes, but I didn't see where you could create NEW waypoints, or even import the .loc files this site generates.

Check my scandalous stories, site, and my fishing skills

quote:

Yipee! icon_smile.gif It works and I didn't have to purchase any new hardware or software!

I've solved my connectivity issues, so I thought I'd post the info here in case it helps others. Please refer to my previous question for the particulars regarding my system setup. Here's what I had to do to get everything to work:

1) On both the iMac and the Virtual PC (VPC), make sure that the HotSync portion of the Palm Desktop software is disabled (HotSync pull-down menu/settings)

2) Using the Palm USB adaptor and Garmin serial cable, plug the GPS into a main USB port on the back of the iMac (not into one of the keyboard ports)

3) In VPC, make sure your USB setting is set to Enabled (Virtual PC List/settings)

4) Again, in VPC settings for USB, make sure the Palm Pilot Cradle is Enabled.

5) In EasyGPS preferences, make sure you have selected the correct COM port that your GPS is plugged into. (in my case, this is COM3)

I hope this helps others.

-Susie (coralgeo)

----------------------