Map76s Reception Problem

Hello, I just bought a MAP76s. I am out playing with it and noticed that when I'm using the laynard around my neck and the unit is technically upside down that I lose most or all of the satellites. If I turn it right side up then it works and I lock onto 6 or 7 of them. Why is this? Garmin places the laynard loop on the bottom of the unit so it will be upside down. For the heck of it I attached the laynard to the battery dial loop but the laynard is in the way to use the unit. Is what I am seeing normal?

Brian

icon_confused.gif

K9flyball, the lanyard is meant to go around the hand while you are holding it. With the 76S hanging around your neck the "top" of the unit where the antenna is, is pointing toward the ground. This will not work well. Your owners manual and most of the posts here will tell you to hold the 76S vertically for optimum performance. My 76S has outstanding reception when held vertically and will sometimes pull the same amount of "birds" while held horizontally. Hope this helps.

Growley, Thanks for both inputs on the case and the unit. Here is the question. First let me point out that I replaced the Laynard with one from a camera so it is longer and no I didn't try to put the hand one over my head!

With the reception. If you are hiking do you really want to hold onto the unit in your hand? I talked with the store thinking the legend would be better but it too is the same. The difference is the case for the legend has a belt clip for easy removal so you can carry it right side up. Now with the 76s you have to hold it. This is a suprise to me and disappointing. Not disappointing on the unit but the GPS in general. So if you are hiking, have treking poles or don't want to carry anything how do you carry the GPS without losing the birds?

Brian

PS> This is a nice unit. I found my first cache tonight and the unit led me within 30 feet in tree cover.

The patch antenna on the E-Trex models are much less sensitive to how it is held. Usually you hold them horizonally but can be held verticle with some sucess. The 76 really must be held verticle because of the type and position of the antenna. The antenna in the 76 does a better job then the patch but must be maintained in the upright position to be effective. Whether it can be effective upside down, I'm not sure, but your solution may by to get one of those external antennas that you plug in, then you won't have to worry about orientation.

2573_200.jpg

I agree with EraSeek about the external antenna. I bought a very effective antenna from GPSGeek off of Ebay for about $35.00 and it has been very useful however, I will say that I have yet to use it with my 76S. External antennas work well for the heavy canopy. Also, on Ebay under GPS Cases there appears to be a shoudler mounted case with a clear window that might do the trick for you.

Tell me more about the external antenna. I looked today and the only one I was told that is availavble is the long whip one and the low profile one. I stopped into a amateur radio store that deals with GPS, HAM, etc. and was told that there wasn't a short one. If I could find a small 1 ft or so I could attach that to the backpack.

Today in Milw. the weather stinks. Rain, clouds and fog. I did 2 cache under heavy trees and didn't lose the signal. I really like this unit. There is a work around that I feel I am close to thanks to the help of this board. Well I am off to e-bay!

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by k9flyball:

So if you are hiking, have treking poles or don't want to carry anything how do you carry the GPS without losing the birds?

Brian if you wear a backpack while hiking a good setup is to suspend a cellphone type holder from your shoulder strap. I have mine rigged so that only the antenna part is exposed and pointing skyward. My shoulder and head block sats from behind but not enough to cause a problem. The velcro cover is tucked back out of the way or I can fasten it around the unit but still keep antenna uncovered.

Olar

wavey.gif

Brian, I was just on eBay and there is a Garmin 76S external antenna showing for $51.00 at the present time. The external GPS antennas are only about 1 inch in height and about 2.5 inches square. Some other Geocachers have mounted these inside a hat with the cord coming out to the unit. I have mounted my antenna on a 2-piece graphite tent pole which can stick out of the top of my day pack or I can carry it and use it as a semi-walking stick. Choices abound, just leave it to your imagination as to how to mount one. If I can come up with an idea, believe me, so can you. Bottom line, since the 76S has a jack for an ext. antenna why not get one? Just make sure the antenna you get has an MCX connector.

Dave.

Thanks for all of the great information. It appears keeping the unit vertical is the first thing. I used it today with rain, fog and clouds in deep cover with no problems but I was carrying it the entire time. I will probably get the case from the GPS store and start there. Second will be the antenna. Thanks again it has helped me out and hopefully someday I can repay the help.

Brian