organize waypoints on unit?

Guest jimbo

Guest jimbo

hey

is there a unit that will let you organize waypoints well? my magellan seems to just create a gigantic list that you can sort a few ways, and you can use the diff. icons. is there a unit where you can sort of create folders/subdirectories or something? nothing that complex, but something better than a huge list to scroll through?

thanks

jimbo

Guest Ron Streeter

when you have a long list (say 30 or more) that when you are in screen one, that you can use the right pointing arrow and go immediately to the second screen?

That is a big help compared to scrolling from the top end of the list down to the bottom.

So, if 10 names per screen (as example) and 70 names stored, it would only be about 6 clicks to get to the last screen.

I'm sure someone else will respond about any gps units that allow the kind of directory approach you are talking about.

Guest Seamus

Works on Garmin's eMap, too. Reading your posts, I decided to try this on my unit, and it does indeed allow you to scroll a page at a time using the right/left rockerpad. Neat.

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

Frederick, MD

Guest xsintrik

On the Garmin eTrex Legend and it has a "Favorites" feature for waypoints.

When you click "Find" you get the options of "Waypoints", "Favorites", "Cities", "Exits", "Points of Interest", Addresses", and "Intersections". The last three only work when you have loaded the MS Metroguides.

This allows you to group some of your 'favorite' waypoints together for easier searching. The waypoints that you have marked as "Favorites" are still displays under the "Waypoints" too.

Guest jimbo

cool

i guess i was thinking of something where you can create like, a tree, or folder...

ie if i go in a specific area/long hike and take tons of waypoints,for diff features/trails and stuff. i wish there was a way to store all these under one heading/folder/tree that would open up when i click. meaning, if i go on hike1-hike9 and have lots of waypoints for each of the 9, why should i have to scroll though all of them? I want them all grouped under something, and not always displayed, excet when i click on the big hike9 heading i get all the hike9 waypoints. does this make sense? does this exist? i realize I can manage stuff on my computer, but that not what I want, becuase I never know where I'll be, I'd rather store it all on my gps....

thanks

jimbo