GPS Units and Sailing

Guest bsyris

Guest bsyris

Has anyone used any of the various GPS units while sailing? I am planning on purchasing one soon(probably a Vista) and I wonder how each unit's features match up.

At least I'll be able to calibrate the altimeter to sea level!

Guest Quinnow

well from all the reading and hype I have seen about the vista you seem to be in good hands with that unit. Just not sure about how waterproof it is. But I guess for an all around GPS unit for land and water you can't go wrong there. My concerns before I buy one is how well the antenna is going to work. I have a gps III Plus that I use because I can always take off the base antenna and add a power antenna in its place for better reception. I would have scooped two vistas off the market if it had this feature so I could give one to a brother as a gift.

Hope you like it bud and I am most certain you will!

Keep the group informed on what you think of it when you get it.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 03-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 03-29-2001).]

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Another 'blow-boater'!!!

I've been using a Garmin G-48 for a few years now, it has a database of all the Navaids in North America, you can download others as well. I deliver boats in the spring and fall and carry my GPS along with my own charts. I like the ability to plug into the boats antenna to double check an existing GPS. As far as waterproof, spend a few $$ and get a bag. Sailing? I can find Nantucket in my Cape Cod Knockabout and plan to sail to Canada in summer 2002. Just remember to keep clear of sailing directly to a bouy ! Some of the privately made charts have waypoints printed on them now.

Hope that helps...

Guest bsyris

So far, the only knock on the Vista that I can find is that there's no provision for an eternal antenna. It's kind of a bummer, but I don't want to wait for the GPS76MAP (the next Garmin model) to come out.

I'm too impatient!