Visor - WAAS

Guest BigFig

Guest swangner

I haven't used the Geode (the one with WAAS), but I do have the Magellan GPS Companion for the Visor (also a Springboard module). It works very well, good accuracy, start up time, etc. It's also over $100 less than the Geode.

Guest hhscr

I also have a Magellan GPS Companion for my Visor. It works great and gives accuracy down to within 9 to 10 feet. The only drawback is the unit cannot be exposed to any kind of harsh treatment or bad weather.

Guest peter

quote:
Originally posted by BigFig:

Is WAAS ready for primetime??

Not quite yet. Currently there are only two WAAS satellites for the US. One is off the east coast and one off the west coast. Both are geosynchronous and stationed directly over the equator. As a result, they are located rather low in the sky for most of the US, especially if you are toward the middle of the country or toward the north. It may still work ok, but you'll need an unobstructed horizon in the direction of at least one of the WAAS birds. The system is designed primarily for pilots who don't have to worry about obstructed horizons most of the time, but should also be good for many boaters.

Things should improve as they deploy more WAAS-enabled satellites.