Palm vs. PPC

MotorBug

I'm on information overload. I don't know whether to buy a newer Palm OS PDA or move to PPC. I currently have a Palm IIIxe with OS 3.5, which is capable of running the queries and such, but it is time to move up, I think. I'd like color and a more legible screen in marginal light.

I have read many of the posts in this forum and I get conflicting ideas. I have also read several magazines and while PPC seems to be the wave of the future, Palm seems to be a no-brainer that just works.

In the meantime, my printer has run out of ink printing cache pages, and too many trees have sacrificed their life for my addiction, not to mention the inefficiency of having all that stuff in a binder that is madness to sort out on the trail.

Today I mailed my check to be a premium member so I probably have a couple of weeks before I can do a query. I'd like to start with my new toy.

What I want to know is, is there a preferred method of digitizing this stuff, Palm or PPC? I don't think I need email, bluetooth, or other stuff. A built-in camera might be nice to snap a low res of a cache or landmark.

Thanks.

Battery life is the biggest problm with PPC; Palm-based PDAs drain less current for some reason. Screen resolution may be a HUGE factor if you want to see maps on the road. Here is a little outdated list of Palms you can at least do something with: http://www.earthquakemap.com/pda.html Memory card (for maps) won't hurt.

Happy trails,

http://www.quakemap.com - redefining Easy...

I have a Dell Axim which is a PPC. I love the thing to death. I get GREAT battery life and have color, lots of RAM and storage, etc.

You can get the 'low end' version, which is what I have, for under $200 also.

IMO, it can't be beat for the value. It's been a rock-solid device. Fast and colorful with a great TFT screen I can see under the brightest sun.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

When it was time to upgrade my old IIIx, I initially bought a tungsten, but ended up taking it back and getting a PocketPC. (Dell axim) I've been quite pleased with the decision. The software seems easy to use, and quite a bit more powerfull for the most part than what was available for the Palm. There isn't really a learning curve. You use Word for note taking, with several data input options for character recognition. Spell checking is very fast and accurate. Excel for number crunching, outlook for calander/e-mail, money for financial management etc. etc.

The great part about it though is the CF slot and ease of expandability. I got a CF modem for about $30. You can access the web on the road, and download your queries straight into the PocketPC. With GPX view, no conversion of any type is necessary. Using a CF GPS unit, you can use very accurate fast autorouting software with voice commands etc to get you to the caches. while you're hiking, you can load it up with MP3's if you're so inclined plug the headset in and jam if you're so inclined.

I've got to say I'm quite pleased and impressed with the toy.

I too have the Dell Axim. I used it the last two weekends to go caching. I DL'ed the pocket queries in GPX format from geocaching.com and used GPXView and Mapopolis to get close to the cache. Then used our Garmin Venture to find them. I just ordered a CF card GPS unit from eBay...I'll report back here when I get it and try it out. Mapopolis is awesome - can't wait to use it in my car with route finding and autorouting features.

Cachedragon looks like a good app (see handango.com) but the current beta version will only work once on my Axim. I wrote the author and he says he will be releasing a new version soon. Anyone else try it?

If the PDA's only function is to operate in conjunction with a GPS receiver then i would probably favour Pocket PC (in particular the new Toshibas and the Dell Axim). IMO the PPC wins narrowly in this area through better 'official' support in GPS hardware and more extensive GPS software availability.

However, I use a Palm Tungsten(T) with a Bluetooth receiver. The advantages of Palm are many in number firstly battery life of my many Palms is vastly superior to the IPaqs I have used. Most importantly as an organiser the Palm blows away the PPC - in the PIM applications, UI, synchronisation, robustness etc.

quote:
Originally posted by quakemap.com:

Palm-based PDAs drain less current for some reason.

The Palm platform was engineered from the ground up as a PDA solution whereas Windows CE is as much of M$ Windows as they could get away with. Palm's make much more efficient use of processing power and memory so use less power.

PalmOS > PocketPC

I have used a PocketPC (Cassiopeia E-125) for several years (not related to Geocaching) and I always liked it far better than what Palm had to offer.

While the CPU power, screen, and CF cards tend to drain the power faster than a Palm, I felt that the power consumption was worth the risk (being that it was easily recharged).

I am currently inheriting my father's iPaq 3635. He no longer uses it and I figure I can get some life out of it yet with applications like CacheDragon.

I have two 1 GB microdrive CF cards for my PPC's and I just can't see how you could live without the room.

I am very excited to try out the PPC and CacheDragon (GPX Spinner as well). I don't like having to print out copies of the cache pages before I go, this will make my hunting experiences quite a bit better (and easier on those trees [icon_wink.gif]

Hi Group'

I too vote for the PPC with the Dell Axim X5 being the device I use. I have a CF Slot GPS with CacheDragon (works well, some bugs being worked out), Delorme and Mapopolis moving map software. I also have Navio and a GPX file program, but CacheDragon combines the best of both worlds.

I have found battery life around 6 hours with moderate usage and the back lite set to operate only when a key is struck. I also purchased a small battery pack that plugs into the Dell giving me extended life (4 AA's)($8 on Ebay).

Hope this helps.

Havin' a blast, Safe Caching,

Dave, Akron, Ohio

PS: As a premium member I use the Pocket Querie to download 100 caches at a time, makes the hunt for multiple caches in the same area very easy!

I have a Dell Axim. I realy like this handheld. It's like having the power of a PC in your hand. Functions similar to your desk top PC. I can't really compare it to a PalmOS handheld as I only used an older Handspring. Of course the Axim blows it away. I think the PPC is easier to use with GPX files. No need to spin and pluck, just copy your PQ to a directory on the PPC and your done. Use GPXview to read the PQ.

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

If you check out the pocket PC FAQ on the Maryland site (www.mdgps.net) there is a link for cables to connect the axim to GPS units. If you buy the power unit, it really extends the life if you use it in the car. I've never had a battery issue with my axim, but then... I don't use it 6 hours at a time unless it's plugged in to something.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

Thanks for all the information and responses.

I had about decided on a Dell Axim, but the Dell web site was temporarily down and wouldn't take my order when I tried. I decided to order it the next day. In the meantime, I stopped at a Circuit City and talked to a very knowledgeable salesperson. I looked at several Palm and PPC devices. I looked at the accessories. I went home and surfed the web some more. I read user comments at Amazon. I read PDA reviews. I like reading, but this is getting to be a bit much.

Right now my #1 choice is the Palm Zire 71. I wouldn't pay extra for the camera, but it is great for a quick snap. The Dell Axim or iPaq 2215 are to close to call for second. If I go that route it will be on price, which right now I don't recall.

I'm going to wait a few days until I get my premium membership activated and try the pocket queries with what I have. And Marky has offerred to show me how he does it all. After that, the plastic comes out!

I have an Ipaq 3955, and my mother has a Dell Axim (advanced). The screen on the ipaq is better quality. If the 2215/2210 has the same screen as the 3955, and only cost a little more you may want to get that instead.

Also the 2215/2210 has blue tooth, and is smaller in size.

I also hear that the axim is more difficult to use with a serial GPSr (garmin, magellen...). Where the ipaq mighty be easier if it uses the same cords as the other ipaqs.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Right now my #1 choice is the Palm Zire 71. I wouldn't pay extra for the camera, but it is great for a quick snap.

I have a Zire 71 and absolutly love it. It has the best display I've seen on any palm device.

The camera isn't that great, but it has come in handy a few times when I've forgotton my digital camera.

Add an sd card and you have a great mp3 player too.

I'm using spinner and plucker to load pq's on mine.

Having owned both I think it comes down to this...

PPC OS is better for now, but I don't see that lasting long now that Palm has caught onto the fact that people really need faster processors and hi-res screens (about time, that should have happened a year earlier). One of the things I really hated about owning a PPC device was feeling so "tied" to Microsoft products. I like most MS products but I like the feeling I can dump someone in a heartbeat if I feel they now suck, or I see something I like better.

If I were buying today I would either get a Palm Zire, Sony Clie, or Garmin iQue.

If I were to get a Palm I would want one that could upgrade the OS unlike the Handsprings. It's the only thing I really hate about my Visor.

A = A

Dude nock that off! Now I want one of those... That screen could really show a fantastic topo map and the games with the ATI graphics should rock... Curse you for telling me about it! icon_wink.gif

You know now that I think about it. I wonder if the ATI graphics chip they are talking about could render a 3D topo for you... THAT would be cool.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Lightfoot:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5898 will be my next Palm OS pda if I can sneek the purchase past my wife. It's got built in blue tooth so you could use one of those new blue tooth GPS'rs with it.

A = A

Sheesh, this is one of those "no win" threads.

Palm is faster, better, more powerfull....

no no..PPC is faster, better, more powerfull...

I have both and it's a matter of preference I think. They can both do pretty much the same of everything. I just encoded the Matrix movie last night for my Palm in case I'm bored. Of course my iPaq can do the same.

I think the only difference is the interface at this point.

So comparing the iPaq and the iQue, I still can't say which I prefer more.

quote:
Originally posted by FlashMaster:

Sheesh, this is one of those "no win" threads.

Ford Vs. Chevy, Garmin vs. Magellan, Palm vs. PPC.

You won't go too far wrong either way.

I two bits of advice:

1) Sit down and write out all the functions you want in the PDA. Locate programs and accessories for it. Not just Geocaching, but as your handy "black book" of names, notes and stuff. Compare which platform fits your main needs/justifications for the unit.

2) Play with the interface. Pay special attention to the way you enter text Chances are you’ll be doing that a lot.

Choose what you like best.

Unfortunately, everything is relative. Even "value". What is valuable to you may not be to me.

For example, my Garmin iQue has a built in routing, voice prompted GPSr built into a full function Palm PDA. For $450, that's a great value to me. I would have to get the StreetPilot $800 + a PDA if it were not for the iQue.

I just got the Compaq iPaq and that is a great value to me because it is so thin it comfortably fits in my shirt pocket without sagging. I'm still awaiting a Teletype BlueTooth GPSr to show up which will increase it's flexibility. But to do what the iQue can do, I had to spend $500 and buy a seperate GPSr. The mapping software is mediocre compared with Garmin/Magellan ones also.

Basically, a PPC can do everything a PALM can do and vice versa. I can't think of anything one or the other cannot do. Having that in mind, it's just an interface preference.

My opinion, for MotorBug, is that the Axim is a good value and a great way to get into a PDA for caching that won't break you.

It sounds like you're not looking to do auto-routing, etc. tomorrow. Just looks like you wants to do pocket queries initially.

I suggested the Axim (and therefore PPC) as it's cheap ($180) and powerful. It also offers a lot of upgrade options down the road with a growing library of caching software and great navigation software like Mapopolis that will allow you to learn and upgrade over time.

Initial investment is under $200. To get to something that does autorouting with the GPS you already own is about $150 additional, but is something you can decide on later.

If you're still tuned in MotorBug, that's my official advice to you. But ultimately, as FlashMaster says, you have to decide what's the best value for you.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif