Garmin GPS V

Guest prairiewinters

Guest prairiewinters

I want a GPS for hiking but also to use in a car during travelling. I was going to buy the Vista until I heard of the new GPS V. I think I will end up using in car more than hiking. Does it sound like this unit will be worth waiting for?

gps's - if not the V is a great compromise.

It is a little hard looking at a small screen of the 3+ (same as the V) while driving and I have 20-20 vision so if you have poor eyesight it might be somewhat of a worse option.

Also the V has a much better antenna then most units (if it's the same as the 3+) and it's a worthy hiking gps just for it's ability to hold a lock in rough conditions - but heavier then most.

Guest The 19th

... and 4 AA batteries vs. 2 in the Vista to boot!

Based on the specs (and people's experiences with the reception on the III+), I think the GPS V is a great unit. It's a good balance for Geocaching and driving. Heck, I'm so tempted to get one when it comes out and have my eTrex Legend as a backup.

------------------

Lawrence Rillera

Elk Grove, CA

Guest Iron Chef

I've gotten tired of the problems that my Etrex Venture has caused me and so the GPS V was pre-ordered months ago and the Venture will become my backup unit. The only question that I had back in June was whether or not I could wait until October!

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest Iron Chef

I have tons of problems getting and holding a lock on sats under any sort of tree cover and sometime the unit shuts off randomly... I called garmin and they said to ship it to them but I've been lazy. :~P A few other things have bothered me with it over time, but their weekly firmware updates have fixed a few of them.

------------------

-Iron Chef

Guest The 19th

quote:
Originally posted by Iron Chef:

I have tons of problems getting and holding a lock on sats under any sort of tree cover and sometime the unit shuts off randomly...

My Legend had the random shut off issue about 3 weeks after I had it. I realized that it was because it was being suddenly jarred about while it was mounted in my Jeep or if I dropped it. Since then I haven't had it shut off.

Sat lock is a major issue with my eTrex Legend as well, go under tree cover, and the coords start going all over the place.

Ok... bringing this back on topic...

Looking around on various websites, I see the GPS V is coming soon! One mentioned "Next week" (the week of Oct 1) and the other said October 3... I'm excited!

------------------

Lawrence Rillera

Elk Grove, CA

Guest Iron Chef

Yup yup. Early October will see the Garmin GPS Vs starting to ship! I'm so excited that I almost (notice that I said almost) don't want to go caching until I've upped my arsenal of equipment. :~) I preordered the unit way back in June a few days after it was officially announced and availiable for pre-order and I've been drooling since. Sure the pricetag is a bit hefty, but for all that you get with the kit it almost is a steal (Mapsource maps alone are a hundred bucks and if you don't include that in the unit then the price is comperable to a GPS III+). Oh well, patience is a virtue right....errr....ummm... ;~)

------------------

-Iron Chef

Did they fix the issue I had w/ my old II that when it was in the horizontal position, the polarizing of the screen and the polarizing of every pair of sunglasses I have fought and bade the screen unreadable? Am I the only person who had that issue with the II/III/whatever follows form factor?

Guest Moun10Bike

I found my GPS V waiting for me on my doorstep when I got home! Yay! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pote:

Did they fix the issue I had w/ my old II that when it was in the horizontal position, the polarizing of the screen and the polarizing of every pair of sunglasses I have fought and bade the screen unreadable?

I put on my polarized fly-fishing glasses to check this out tonight, and it looks fine -- extremely readable in either orientation (I only see a slight change in the background color). However, this is under artificial light and with a WriteRIGHT protective sheet applied to the screen. I'll check it tomorrow outdoors.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

30H/98F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest Moun10Bike

I found my GPS V waiting for me on my doorstep when I got home! Yay! icon_smile.gif

quote:

Did they fix the issue I had w/ my old II that when it was in the horizontal position, the polarizing of the screen and the polarizing of every pair of sunglasses I have fought and bade the screen unreadable?

I put on my polarized fly-fishing glasses to check this out tonight, and it looks fine -- extremely readable in either orientation (I only see a slight change in the background color). However, this is under artificial light and with a WriteRIGHT protective sheet applied to the screen. I'll check it tomorrow outdoors.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

30H/98F

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

I am so jelous. Mine is going to get to my home on monday after a long weekend of geocaching.... :~( oh well at least i'll have it.

------------------

-Iron Chef

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

I am so jelous. Mine is going to get to my home on monday after a long weekend of geocaching.... :~( oh well at least i'll have it.

------------------

-Iron Chef

Cool Moun10. I guess others complained. I didn't - I just dealt w/ it untill I decided to buy my Map76. It used to be pretty fustrating on the boat & in the jeep tho...had to hold my head sideways or take off the glasses.

Does it still take 4 batteries?

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:

Does it still take 4 batteries?

Yes, it does. In fact, the body looks (and acts) completely like the GPS II/III/III+ units. Does anyone know if it still needs the little spring mechanism between the batteries to prevent shut off during severe vibration like those other units did? Later units of the III+ came with the spring, but the GPS V does not.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

30H/98F

Was thinking of purchasing the Garmin III+ mainly for the more sensitive antenna and vehicle mounting. But now with the Garmin V shipping would I be crazy not to spend the extra $150 bucks to get the V? I have a Legend and it's fine outside the truck but I want something thats more suitable for mobile use.

Thanks,

Fotogg

Not having any experiance (yet) with the III+ or the V, do these units switch from decimal miles to feet at some point as you approach a waypoint, and if so, where do they switch?

Thanks!

Guest gstrong1

The III Plus goes from .1 miles to 520 ft. as you walk. If you plan on a lot of highway use for the unit, the extra money for the V might be worth it, but as far as I'm concerned, for the price, I'll stick with the III Plus. For caching purposes, I don't need waas. I have also have the Vista & the MAP76, both with waas, & in the woods, the III Plus is consistantly right on the numbers better than the other 2. The V looks great, but aside from some add-ons like waas, more memory & the street functions, its a dressed up III Plus.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

Not having any experiance (yet) with the III+ or the V, do these units switch from decimal miles to feet at some point as you approach a waypoint, and if so, where do they switch?

Like the III+, the V switches from 0.1 mile to 520 feet as you approach your destination.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

29H/98F

Ok I think you sold me on it! :-)

Considering you get the City CD, Cig-lighter power adapter, mount & pc cable, makes it a bargin. I did use a Hertz rent-a-car that had a Magellan 750M and it was way-cool to have it tell you where to turn, and allow different routes.

Can you enter an address to find and it plots the route for you?

Will it recaculate a route automatically if you miss a turn?

These were the main things I liked about the 750m. Female voice prompts were nice too!

Thanks

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Fotogg:

...Considering you get the City CD, Cig-lighter power adapter, mount & pc cable, makes it a bargin...

Thats also what convinced me to hand over the extra money. The actual unit price is under that of a III+ if you take into account all the extra goodies in the package deal (especially since it's all stuff that you'd be buying anyways).

Any excuse to get a new toy, eh? ;~) Works for me!

------------------

-Iron Chef

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 30 September 2001).]

I agree. If I purchased the III+, I'd spend the money saved just buying the (needed) extra's that come with the V.

Well it looks like I don't have a choice. I have to get one! It's unavoidable like death, taxes and gettin a new toy! :-)

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know when I get it.

Fotogg

[This message has been edited by Fotogg (edited 30 September 2001).]

Guest gstrong1

I stand corrected. With all the added accessories, the V appears to be a really good deal.I never took the time to see what it came with. I may have to pick one up. Knowing the reliability of the III Plus, the V has to be a fabulous unit.Thanks for the info, Moun10Bike. I'm sure I can justify a 4th unit. Never hurts to have a few back-ups. hehehe. --Gimpy--

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by gstrong1:

I stand corrected. With all the added accessories, the V appears to be a really good deal.I never took the time to see what it came with. I may have to pick one up. Knowing the reliability of the III Plus, the V has to be a fabulous unit.Thanks for the info, Moun10Bike. I'm sure I can justify a 4th unit. Never hurts to have a few back-ups. hehehe. --Gimpy--

If you do get a V, Gimpy, then I expect to see some reviews from you comparing the III+ and your GPSMAP 76 to the V. The one point that I'm still curious about is how long 4 AA batteries will last in my new baby. I've heard that the III+ gets 26-32 hours usually, but the V is supposed to get 24 according to Garmin (understandable because of WAAS, the better screen, etc etc). I just wonder what the 24 hours will actually end up being realistically since Garmin is usually pretty... ummmm... conservative when it comes to estimating battery life (like I'll ever really get 20 hours of use on one pair of AAs in my etrex venture).

------------------

-Iron Chef

Well I just ordered the V from Advancedgps. Had a question for them and they responded to my email within 30min, on a Sunday!

Now that's service!

Lets hope they deliver as quick.

Can't Wait!

Thanks agian guys for your help.

Steve

Fotogg

Guest Moun10Bike

, Arial">quote:

Thanks for the info, Moun10Bike. I'm sure I can justify a 4th unit.

Jeremy and I just got back from a day of caching, which was the inaugural trip for my V. Judging from his comments, I think Garmin may have another sale! icon_smile.gif

It was awesome to try the unit out in the field for the first time with a handful of caches. After we found one, we'd tell it to route us to the next one, and it was as much fun following the route as it was finding the cache (well, not quite icon_smile.gif)! The unit performed above all of my expectations. It was holding the satellite signal just like my old III+ did, and I was pleased to discover another little detail with it -- it shows distances below 10.0 miles to the hundredth (i.e. 9.88 miles) like my Vista, as opposed to the tenths of a mile (i.e. 9.9 miles) that my GPSMap 76 shows. I know, it's a tiny thing, but when walking or biking, it's nice to see the hundredths roll off!

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

29H/98F

Guest Moun10Bike

, Arial">quote:

Thanks for the info, Moun10Bike. I'm sure I can justify a 4th unit.

Jeremy and I just got back from a day of caching, which was the inaugural trip for my V. Judging from his comments, I think Garmin may have another sale! icon_smile.gif

It was awesome to try the unit out in the field for the first time with a handful of caches. After we found one, we'd tell it to route us to the next one, and it was as much fun following the route as it was finding the cache (well, not quite icon_smile.gif)! The unit performed above all of my expectations. It was holding the satellite signal just like my old III+ did, and I was pleased to discover another little detail with it -- it shows distances below 10.0 miles to the hundredth (i.e. 9.88 miles) like my Vista, as opposed to the tenths of a mile (i.e. 9.9 miles) that my GPSMap 76 shows. I know, it's a tiny thing, but when walking or biking, it's nice to see the hundredths roll off!

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

29H/98F

Guest Iron Chef

I just got mine from the mailroom about an hour ago and I am totally impressed. Now... if only the City Select metro/county regions were a little bit smaller. I don't know why, but some areas have small map regions while others have huge areas. Oh well, with 19 megs of space I can pretty much load the entire Monterey Bay area and CA Central Coast with room to spare so I'm happy. When it first started getting sats it was having a bit of a problem, but once it got going it quickly surpassed my Venture in terms of signal strength and location reliability. I'm sure that this will increase even more after I stop making the typical "new toy" mistakes.

------------------

-Iron Chef

Guest The Cherokee Three

Any ideas why Garmin would release such a great unit and not incorporate the electronic compass and barometric altimeter features? I am very torn between either the V or the Vista.

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by The Cherokee Three:

Any ideas why Garmin would release such a great unit and not incorporate the electronic compass and barometric altimeter features? I am very torn between either the V or the Vista.

I had a similar discussion with Jeremy when we were out geocaching this weekend. We were wondering why the tide table calculations available in the GPSMap 76 were not included in the GPS V. We decided that it must be that Garmin considers certain features to only be important to ceratin classes of users. The GPSMap 76 is a marine unit, so it has them, while the GPS V is (mostly) an automobile unit so it does not. The eTrex line is the one targeted for hiking, and Garmin must feel that the altimeter & electronic compass features are more meaningful for the outdoor category than the automobile category.

I wish they'd realize that we "kitchen sink" categories are out here, too! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

29H/101F

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by The Cherokee Three:

I had a similar discussion with Jeremy when we were out geocaching this weekend. We were wondering why the tide table calculations available in the GPSMap 76 were not included in the GPS V. We decided that it must be that Garmin considers certain features to only be important to ceratin classes of users. The GPSMap 76 is a marine unit, so it has them, while the GPS V is (mostly) an automobile unit so it does not. The eTrex line is the one targeted for hiking, and Garmin must feel that the altimeter & electronic compass features are more meaningful for the outdoor category than the automobile category.

I wish they'd realize that we "kitchen sink" categories are out here, too! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

29H/101F

Guest Iron Chef

Battery life was probably also an issue for them as they probably want 4 AAs to last longer than 20 hours. The electric compass would have been nice, but I'm also not sure how that would work since the GPS V can be held in several different ways unlike the Vista or Summit where you know it goes in your left hand just so. Just my thoughts, besides I'm as happy as a dog in a bone factory with my V so far. :~)

------------------

-Iron Chef

Guest Iron Chef

Does it scare anyone else that Pong is included in the firmware for the V? I think the folks at Garmin have a wee bit of spare time (and batteries on their hands). :~)

------------------

-Iron Chef

Guest The 19th

quote:

Does it scare anyone else that Pong is included in the firmware for the V? I think the folks at Garmin have a wee bit of spare time (and batteries on their hands). :~)

Hey! You got Pong? I have Breakout on mine. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out how to clear all the stored waypoints like my eTrex can do. Manually deleting each waypoint can be cumbersome.

------------------

Lawrence Rillera

Elk Grove, CA

[This message has been edited by The 19th (edited 02 October 2001).]

Guest The 19th

quote:

Hey! You got Pong? I have Breakout on mine. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out how to clear all the stored waypoints like my eTrex can do. Manually deleting each waypoint can be cumbersome.

------------------

Lawrence Rillera

Elk Grove, CA

[This message has been edited by The 19th (edited 02 October 2001).]

Guest The Cherokee Three

As for the idea of how the electronic compass would react to the different orientations of the V, I had a chance to check out a Vista at a local store. The compass dynamically adjusts itself according to the orientation of the unit. So, as I slowly rotated the Vista, the compass changed accordingly. Pretty neat feature.

Tom

Guest Iron Chef

I agree that the compass would be cool if it were the Vista implementation of it, but the Summit unit is more sensitive to being level so that is where I got my concern from. I guess that Garmin just thought that they had already included enough goodies in the V.

------------------

-Iron Chef

Guest Iron Chef

You were right it is Breakout and not Pong. I just picked a 70s arcade game and plugged the name in icon_biggrin.gif Anyways if you find a way to delete all the waypoints then make sure to post it, I know that is going to take me a few days to make it through the manual.

------------------

-Iron Chef

Guest Iron Chef

You were right it is Breakout and not Pong. I just picked a 70s arcade game and plugged the name in icon_biggrin.gif Anyways if you find a way to delete all the waypoints then make sure to post it, I know that is going to take me a few days to make it through the manual.

------------------

-Iron Chef

Guest The 19th

I scanned through the manual, but it doesn't look like there's a way to clear all the waypoints in one fell swoop. icon_frown.gif

I uploaded a list of about 100 waypoints to the GPS V to test the "find" feature, thinking I could clear them out again like I do on my eTrex. Bad assumption! Now I have to go through the list and take the ones I don't want out one by one.

The reason I'm looking for how to do this is when I travel to a different area, I like to clear the waypoint list of all caches that are local to my home, so that I only have to scroll through pages of caches near the place I'm at when I'm searching by name.

The same thing for when I do get back home, I don't want to have to scroll through listings of caches that are hundreds of miles away.

Another (dumb?) question: What part do you attach the wrist strap? The Quick Start guide mentions that it comes with the unit, but neither that nor the Manual explain where to attach it to. I'm afraid of attaching the strap to the battery cover ring, for fear of it twisting and unlatching it, spilling the batteries out.

------------------

Lawrence Rillera

Elk Grove, CA

Guest The 19th

I scanned through the manual, but it doesn't look like there's a way to clear all the waypoints in one fell swoop. icon_frown.gif

I uploaded a list of about 100 waypoints to the GPS V to test the "find" feature, thinking I could clear them out again like I do on my eTrex. Bad assumption! Now I have to go through the list and take the ones I don't want out one by one.

The reason I'm looking for how to do this is when I travel to a different area, I like to clear the waypoint list of all caches that are local to my home, so that I only have to scroll through pages of caches near the place I'm at when I'm searching by name.

The same thing for when I do get back home, I don't want to have to scroll through listings of caches that are hundreds of miles away.

Another (dumb?) question: What part do you attach the wrist strap? The Quick Start guide mentions that it comes with the unit, but neither that nor the Manual explain where to attach it to. I'm afraid of attaching the strap to the battery cover ring, for fear of it twisting and unlatching it, spilling the batteries out.

------------------

Lawrence Rillera

Elk Grove, CA

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by The 19th:

Press "Find" and select "Waypoints." Then select "By Name," followed by "OK." When the list of waypoints appears, press "Menu." "Delete All" is the fourth option on the menu that then appears. It sounds more cumbersome than it is in reality.

quote:
What part do you attach the wrist strap? The Quick Start guide mentions that it comes with the unit, but neither that nor the Manual explain where to attach it to. I'm afraid of attaching the strap to the battery cover ring, for fear of it twisting and unlatching it, spilling the batteries out.

I attach mine to the battery cover ring. I did the same with my GPS III and GPS III+ and never had a problem with the cover popping open, but there's always a first time! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

29H/101F

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by The 19th:

Press "Find" and select "Waypoints." Then select "By Name," followed by "OK." When the list of waypoints appears, press "Menu." "Delete All" is the fourth option on the menu that then appears. It sounds more cumbersome than it is in reality.

quote:
What part do you attach the wrist strap? The Quick Start guide mentions that it comes with the unit, but neither that nor the Manual explain where to attach it to. I'm afraid of attaching the strap to the battery cover ring, for fear of it twisting and unlatching it, spilling the batteries out.

I attach mine to the battery cover ring. I did the same with my GPS III and GPS III+ and never had a problem with the cover popping open, but there's always a first time! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

29H/101F

Guest The 19th

Thanks Jon! I did have to do an extra step to get out of the typing screen to get those menu options, but I did clear them out.

I attached the wrist strap to the battery ring, and spun the unit around a couple of times. It looks like the strap will coil around itself quite a bit, (practically cutting off your circulation) before the battery cover pops open.

------------------

Lawrence Rillera

Elk Grove, CA