Newbie on GPS V

Guest thermalburnett

Guest thermalburnett

Can someone who's an expert on GPS V give me a step by step instruction on what should be a simple task. I'm trying to set a waypoint at my starting point, then have the unit save a breadcrumb trail through the various waypoints I make and then save the log when I return to the starting point.

I can save waypoints without difficulty, but there's no breadcrumbs or a way for me to retrace my route on my GPSR and/or save it as a log. Either I'm pretty slow or this unit is quite complicated. Thanks for any help. Jerry

Guest Moun10Bike

To create a track, or breadcrumb trail, you need to do the following:

1. Go to the Main Menu (press the "Menu" button twice)
  2. Select "Tracks" and press the "Enter" button
  3. Turn the Track Log setting to "On"
  4. While on the Tracks page, press the "Menu" button and select "Setup Track Log" -- this step is not necessary, but will let you change the track recording settings as needed

Now, as you move, your GPS V will record a breadcrumb trail, or track. When you have finished recording it, you can return to the Tracks page and select "Save." This will take the track that is currently active, save it to one of the 10 available Saved Track slots and then delete the active track.

Be warned that when a track is saved, track points are culled. Say, for example, that you have an active tracklog with 2000 points. If you save it, it will be reduced to 250 track points (the maximum allowed in a saved track), so you will lose resolution. I believe that even if the active log contains fewer than 250 points to begin with that points are removed from the saved log (sort of a "smoothing" algorithm if you will).

I hope I made that clear. Let me know if you have any questions.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

31H/128F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html