Reinventing the "How much memory" question.

Skippy2

Skippy2,

I bought the 256 and I *wanted* the 512. To make a long story short, I'm using about 32 of the 256. IMHO I can't see using what I have, unless I plan to drive cross country with the wife or something... then I can certainly see the use.

Just my opinion.

Pete

quote:

If I were travelling a great deal more, it might make some sense.

George

Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

Could you explain, George, why traveling a great deal more, (which I do NOT do) would require more memory?

I am trying to get to the "nub" of this memory matter, I think. I would want the largest memory card I can get for my digital camera, but if my Magellean Meridian is only capable of handling 64Mb, why on earth would I buy a 128Mb card. Which I did and now I'm wondering if I should take it back and exchange it.

Thanks,

your magellan can hold more then just 64 mb, you have to edit teh .ini file, but still you only get 4 regions but they can be big files, but w/ a 256 mb sd card, those maps are gonna take days just to create.

my lowrance ifinder w/ mapcreate 6 takes less then 20 minutes often--its wierd.

I do what I gotta do, when I GOTTA do it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rose:

your magellan can hold more then just 64 mb, you have to edit teh .ini file, but still you only get 4 regions but they can be big files, but w/ a 256 mb sd card, those maps are gonna take days just to create.

There is definitely some misunderstanding here.

Here's an example of how it works. Say I cut Washington into 4 pieces (or make 4 regions out of it) which include the NW, NE, SW, and SE regions. Each region is about 5MB. At this point I can create a map file of Washington that consists of the 4 regions for a total of 20MB. I could pick any 4 regions I want from anywhere in the country to make the map.

At this point I don't directly upload the file to the GPS. I just make the file on my computer. Then I do the same thing with Oregon, etc...

Once I've made the files I want, I click and drag them to the SD card with an SD card reader at high speeds. I put the SD card into the GPS and pick a map file that I want loaded. If I decide I want a different state I just go through the menus and pick a different map file for the GPS to load.

Say I have 128MB loaded and am going on a trip. I can just put the SD card back in the reader, delete the state files I don't need, and upload the state files that I want. I don't have to reload it all like the non-SD GPS users have to do. icon_cool.gif And I don't have to upload it at Grandma speeds either.

In addition, other files can be added. For example, some people keep separate files for their way points depending on how they want to organize them. Then they just use the GPS menus to load only the waypoints that they want.

The full size of the card can be easily used without making huge files (Six states at 20MB each, for example).

Now if I only plan on staying in Washington, the size of the card isn't that important as 20MB is enough. But if I'm going on a road trip, I can add a bunch of states and easily change what map I'm looking at without making the GPS wade through a bunch of huge files. I could also have more maps on another card if I want.

Once you go SD, you won't go back.