Why does everyone think the Geko 201 is a toy?

Right now I am leaning towards the Meridian Platinum (waiting for some overtime work).

But I had been wavering between the Etrex and Geko 201 (and still may depending on how things go).

It seems to me the Geko has features the basic Etrex does not.

Here's what I got out of the Garmin site:

Waypoints:

same in both (500)

Routes: Etrex - 1 with 50 waypoints

Geko - 20 with 125 legs/route (is this waypoints?)

Tracks: Etrex - autotrack with 10 saved tracks

Geko - 20 tracks with 10,000 trackpoints (what's this?)

Plus both have a 'trackback' feature.

Trip computer/odometer:

Both have: current speed, average speed, sunrise/sunset, resetable max speed, trip distance, trip timer

Geko adds separate trip timer, 'configurable trip computer screen'

The rest of the specs are comparable - the Geko has WAAS - but the accuracy is rated the same on both (on Garmin's site).

I had borrowed an Etrex, and I like it, except I find I cannot really use it one handed (I think my left hand must be kind of weak, plus I have small hands). I just held the Geko in the store and I must say I find it much more comfortable to hold and use the buttons.

But - even the guy at the store tried to put down the Geko, telling me it was more of a toy (although he also thought it only stored 10 waypoints, but that is another story).

So - thoughts?

"I took the road less travelled by, and that has made all the difference"

The geko 201 has a low resolution, small screen and uses AAA batteries which have a much lower life. If the small size is absolutely the most important factor, then get one. The etrex Venture, Legend or Vista have much better resolution, and the last two have mapping capability.

For the best value in a fully featured GPSr with mapping capabiility, get a Meridian. They have been selling for as little as $100, and you get a $50 rebate if you buy a Magellan map program.

I still don't the Geko even comes close to the meridian as far as functionality goes. i'd recommend the etrex venture if you're looking at the geko..if you're not worried about mapping. and unless you absolutely need the digital compass and barometer in the meriplat, i'd say the base model meridian with a fat memory card is a super deal. leaps and bounds beyond the geko

-pizzachef

It all depends on what you'll be using it for. As for some of the arguments you hear, I'll throw in my two cents worth.

Small screen: It's not a mapping unit, hence the screen seems more than adequate to me. How big do you need the compass, or limited data nav screens to be? It provides everything you need data wise for following a route or navigating to a waypoint.

No Mapping capability: Depending on the type receiver, the maps can be bad enough to hardly be worth the trouble on the roads. In the backcountry, they're nowhere near good enough for route planning etc, so you still need real maps. While hiking I'd say I use the map page maybe 5 percent of the time.

In some ways, the unit outshines many of the so called upscale units. Try to find a Magellan receiver that can match it in track recording capability if you're looking to accurately map out trails. It can do extremely detailed tracks.

For many uses, the small size can make the unit much more useable, and the batteries while not lasting as long, are smaller which makes carrying spares all the easier.

I don't know that I would call the thing a toy any more than any of the consumer level units. For whatever it's worth though, I still think they're ugly.

I did not realize that they made such good tracklogs. I know the etrex summit is supposed to lay down excellent tracks...makes sense since that's the gps that looks like it's made for hiking. In that case, I'd say the geko would be great for hiking...lightweight, simplistic, good tracks, and maps are pretty useless on hiking trails. But if you're not looking to shave ounces, I think there are better alternatives.

-pizzachef

Sounds like you really like it. With that thought in mine, you should get one. Then you can let us know objectively why it does not have the popularity of the others.

I will not have one, for reasons I have stated in a previous thread.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

The one thing I do not like about the Gekos or E-treks (Non Mapping), They do not include the data cable, You can buy a magellan Meridan with the cable at a very good price, you can also buy a Magellan sport trak Map for $150.00 after the rebate, You can buy an E-treks Legans with a cable after rebate for around $180.00.

Magellan is offering a rebate on their software also.

THe geko with cable will run you about $178.00.

Also Geko screens are too small.

They can not be used will lithium batteris, No one makes a AAA lithium.

Mapping is a great featuer in a GPS. Unlike the guy who uses less than 5% of the time I use it all the time. It has it's limitation and for planning I do use real topo software.

Still, without mapping with the specs you said and the other comments I've read I have to agree. Looks like the 201 is ok. You will want a data cable for it though. You can also get AAA NiMH batteries, although they are not as easy to find as the AA's.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Mapping is a great featuer in a GPS. Unlike the guy who uses less than 5% of the time I use it all the time. It has it's limitation and for planning I do use real topo software.

Still, without mapping with the specs you said and the other comments I've read I have to agree. Looks like the 201 is ok. You will want a data cable for it though. You can also get AAA NiMH batteries, although they are not as easy to find as the AA's.

=====================

=====================

I picked up a Geko 201 at the REI Member sale, and I really like it. No, it doesn't have mapping, and if the Geko was my only GPS, I'd find that a serious drawback. But it's a great little unit otherwise.

As far as the AAA batteries go, I picked up a Rayovac quick-charger, and I can charge batteries for it in about 30 minutes, right in the car. Can't beat that. icon_wink.gif

This point is a little off topic but has anyone else noticed how the games that come with the garmin geko are really neat ?

Any hardcore geocacher will laugh at them but I have to say they have the potential to open up a new market.

The idea of playing chess on a field by ur own movements against a computer is kind of neat, dorky but it can be built upon.

There are all kinds of implications here other then just geocaching.

Geocaching is the tip of the iceberg.

If I wanted to get into any field right now it

would be gps development.

cachebanner2.jpg

[This message was edited by BCguy on May 25, 2003 at 09:21 PM.]