What's new from Garmin???

So many updates, so many on the same day and all appear to have common WAAS related changes.

Always interesting when so much software gets changed like this, sort of makes one wonder a little.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

I've been told that one major thing is a solution to the previous problem, caused by the transmissions in Europe:

A receiver on the east coast of the USA could pick up an Egnos augmentation satellite (AOR-E) and from that one get information, applicable in Europe only. But the receiver tried to apply these corrections in America, to no good at all. Also, this meant that the Egnos satellite informed the receiver about where other Egnos augmentation satellites are (IOR), which meant that the unit stopped looking for WAAS satellites (AOR-W and POR). The opposite scenario could also happen in Europe, if the first augmentation satellite you got hold of was for WAAS, not for Egnos.

Anders

Yes. That sounds like it:

''3. Improve WAAS/EGNOS satellite selection algorithm to select the satellite

with the most beneficial corrections given the unit's current position.

Units will not use a WAAS/EGNOS satellite if the unit's current position

is outside of a given WAAS/EGNOS satellite's service volume.''

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

I just upgraded the Legend firmware from 2.50 to 3.40. I took it on an hour hike this morning and it took most of this time to cycle through all of the upper WAAS numbers and finally settle on #47 and then #35. By the end of the hour, I could get one or the other (depending where I faced) and Ds on the bars. Now, when I turn the unit on, 35 and 47 show on the constellation.

Comparing it to some landmarks (waypoints) along the way, the accuracy seems good. The performance is about the same as before. I will check it on an adjusted benchmark soon.