Questions about which palm to get.

quills

I just became a premium member and I'm going to get a palm unit for the pocket queries. I am currently using a Garmin Legendfor my GPSr. My question is which palm is the most user friendly and the easiest to set up for the pocket queries. By the way this will be the primary use for the palm. Any help is appreciated.

"If you mess with a Porcupine you might just get the quills. LOL I just had to say that"

OK maybe this helps I'm looking at a Sony clie. It has 16 MB ram with an expansion slot. I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I would appreciate some advice.

"If you mess with a Porcupine you might just get the quills. LOL I just had to say that"

I'm copying my reply to your question in the General forum:

If you are ONLY going to use the Palm for cache pages, I suggest you go to eBay and look for a cheap used one. You can probably get a Palm IIIxe for about $50 on eBay.

Once you have the Palm, you'll need a couple of free programs. I really like using gpx2html, along with Plucker.

Fizzymagic's gpx2html takes the GPX file you get from your pocket query, and creates a set of indexed cache pages in html format. Plucker then takes these pages and puts them on your Palm (or if you are running PPC, you can just copy the html to your pda to be read with your browser). The really nice thing is the index that gpx2html creates. The index can list your caches sorted by name, ID (forward or reverse sorted), or distance from locations you specify (VERY handy). It also can display only caches with TB's or those that haven't been found yet.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

thanks for the reply. i'm just a litlle leery about buying off of e-bay. i want the most bang for the buck and the easieast to use but if i have to spend a few extra bucks i'm ok with that. if you have good experience with e bay let me know I've never bought anything from there.

Get any Palm OS you want and use CACHEMATE. For $6 it'll let you log info about your caches at the scene plus display all the info for you on your handheld. You won't need any other programs (Plucker, etc) if you go that route, just one does the trick.

~robert

Driver carries less than $20 cache.