Magellan Meridian Platinum software

I've been a lurking guest over the past several months and finally decided to join. Thanks to other members I have decided to purchase a Magellan Meridian Platinum since there is a rebate going on.

I want to know if it is worth it to purchase additional software to use with the GPS since an additional $25 off can be had. I'm mainly asking about the Mapsend Topo because the Mapsend Streets and Destinations doesn't sound very helpful or interesting as others here have confirmed.

So, is the additional software needed or is it just a nice enhancement? The Magellan Meridian Platinum sounds like a great unit right out of the box. Do those of you that have the Topo maps use them everytime you use your Magellan Meridian Platinum?

Thanks! I look forward to receiving my unit and learning all of the ins and outs of it!

Todd

I'm sure that S&D solves some problems for some people, but since the street data in Topo is the same as S&D and it adds contour lines and additional streams and creeks (and if I can figure out which side of the a creek the cache is on BEFORE I leave the car, it's a Good Thing) plus contour lines, I hunt with Topo exclusively in my three Magellans

If I were a businessman travelling and needed hotels or ATM locations instead of someone traipsing around in the woods, I'd probably go with S&D.

I've got the MeriPlat, too, and love the thing. Good call on the purchase! But the Topo software (or streets) is absolutely essential - the included basemap is next to useless for detail. So, definitely get the Topo (or streets - i have the Topo myself, and agree w/ those that say the streets isn't very helpful).

-eremite

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." -Galileo Galilei.

"The indoor life is the next best thing to premature burial." -Edward Abbey

Sorry for the double post, but I'd be remiss if I didin't add:

Get an SD card (secure digital, not streets & destinations) with the software. And an SD reader. All essential stuff. More money, but totally worth it.

-eremite

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." -Galileo Galilei.

wow, thanks for the quick responses, everyone! icon_smile.gif

What size of SD memory do I need? Is there a certain size required or or can I just store more topo data the larger SD card I have? What is the minimum memory size acceptable? I don't want to buy a card and find out I needed the next size up.

I have a 256mb SD card in mine, which is, admittedly, overkill, but this way I don't have to keep loading new maps all the time. I've got them all right there, ready for the using.

Personally I wouldn't go less than, say, 64mb. Any less than that and you'll only be able to fit a couple big maps on it. Which may not matter if you tend to stay within a small area; if you stay within a 50 mile radius, then you don't need a big map. I tend to jump around the country a bit and find having all these maps on hand is, well, handy. I don't have to keep going back to my computer, making and loading new maps, etc.

-eremite again

To give you an idea, Washington State takes a 3 region 23MB upload to the GPS. As previously pointed out, a card reader will be helpful in the upload as this takes about 40 minutes at 19.2KB through the serial port. A mere 2 or 3 minutes via the USB card reader. You will need to rename the image to detail00.img once loaded by card reader but that's the only inconvenience.

Now to give you an idea of what you would be missing if you didn't get it. I wanted to see the value between not having the software loaded and having the software loaded. I drove around without the software loaded and this is what I realized in the value of having the mapping software.

Imagine trying to find your way on a map with only highways and freeways and a general idea of where your house is... now, without any surface streets on that map, try to find your way to that house from the nearest exit of the freeway. It can be done, but having the surface streets showing makes it a lot easier. S&D will do this too, but as also pointed out, the Topo will provide the contours of the land. With the MeriPlat, this will also show you your path in terms if vertical position and look ahead so you can have a general idea of inclination of the path you are about to take.

Bear in mind, the software is old and outdated. Newer neighborhoods may not be included. Some topography is incorrect - and I'm told this is pretty common even with paper based maps), and lots of trails are missing. There are rumors this may change with rumored negotiations going on with other map makers (cartographers?).

Cheers!

TL

TotemLake,

I'm curious how you upload multiple regions to your Plat directly to the SD card? I have the card reader but I don't know how to do this. I sure would love to spend a few minutes vs 40 on this process.

On another note, how do you keep your Plat from eating batteries? Do you use NImH or some other type of rechargeable? I bought some but the Plat doesn't like them.

Thanks for any insight you can provide on this.

Robert

You need the updated ver of mapsend, and if some one would be so kind as to repost the link as to where to get the updated ver, I would very much appriciate it as my computer crapped out and I had to restore so I have lost all my updates. Once you have the ver that will allow you to load to a card reader, all you have to do is rename the maps say Home.img or what ever you want to call them and keep loading till the cards full or you get tired of loading them on.

I just happened to have looked up the MapSend Topo 4.20c upgrade today. (the embedded URL feature seems flakey today)

http://www.ftp.kkc.tzo.com/Magellan/index.htm

With that upgrade, you can write your detail map file directly to the card. Then, use Windows Explorer to locate the file on the card named DETAIL00.IMG and rename it to something else (with the .img ending).

rsprim, you mentioned multiple regions, but I assume you meant multiple map files. MapSend should let you include up to 4 regions in a single map file.

As far as batteries, yes, NiMH are great. Try to get high-capacity batteries (2000mAh or more) and a good charger. Don't scrimp; you'll save so much in batteries that your initial investment will seem trivial in the long run. A good source is here:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

quote:
Originally posted by embra:

I just happened to have looked up the MapSend Topo 4.20c upgrade today. (the embedded URL feature seems flakey today)

With that upgrade, you can write your detail map file directly to the card. Then, use Windows Explorer to locate the file on the card named DETAIL00.IMG and rename it to something else (with the .img ending).

rsprim, you mentioned multiple regions, but I assume you meant multiple map files. MapSend should let you include up to 4 regions in a single map file.

As far as batteries, yes, NiMH are great. Try to get high-capacity batteries (2000mAh or more) and a good charger. Don't scrimp; you'll save so much in batteries that your initial investment will seem trivial in the long run. A good source is here:

Max

What he said. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks embra!

But even so, before 4.20c, there was a way of locating the file maps.img in the Export subdirectory and load it to the card reader. Then rename maps.img to detail00.img to be read as the default regional map.

Cheers!

TL

[This message was edited by TotemLake on June 21, 2003 at 04:26 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by embra:

Thanks for posting this. I definately needed this info.

I'll give this a try. Thanks for the info.

This is normally who I buy from but I didn't get the 2000 aH models. How long do these normally last for you? Thanks.

Robert

Max

I bought 1850 mAH batts a while ago...they give me about 9 hours. You can check and see what the "sweet spot" is for purchases...you may not necessarily want to pay the premium for the hightest level. But it is worthwhile to stay away from anything like the 1200 (!) mAH that I started with way back when.

Max

embra~

Looks like I am once again in need of your good advise.

I have been looking for several months at the Magellan web site for software upgrades to my MapSend ToPo v 3.00a that came with my Meri/Plat and they are not listing any.

your link http://www.ftp.kkc.tzo.com/Magellan/index.htm to MapSend Top v 4.20c up grade is not on the Magellan site........It looks like I need some of that good advise from you on this.

If I download from your mentioned link....will it automatically upgrade my existing v 3.00a version ???

Why is Magellan not listing this software upgrade on their site ???

And last but not least....is there a listing of what v4.20c upgrades are ?????

Thanks Mr.Embra (Max) in advance. And I think that I can speak for us new-bees out here when I say that it is people like you that makes this hobby fun when you give freely of your experience to others that are struggling like me to figure this darn thing out. THANK YOU. Jerry

The most notable upgrades are allowing you to upload to a card reader and to edit your track. That's just the cabinet update. In order to gain the full benefit of 4.20c, you will have to buy the actual version map. The trouble with Magellan is they do not put a version number on their product.

You can find the cabinet update here.

Actually, looking at the link you are complaining about, you were at the right place. Go to the bottom of the page for Topo Upgrade.

Cheers!

TL

[This message was edited by TotemLake on June 22, 2003 at 08:02 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by stutzismydog:

I have been looking for several months at the Magellan web site for software upgrades to my MapSend ToPo v 3.00a that came with my Meri/Plat and they are not listing any.

Why is Magellan not listing this software upgrade on their site ???

I think TotemLake (whom I believe has the most disturbing avatar in this place...I think I know the passage that picture depicts *shudder*) got most of your questions answered about the update. But I can share my (and others') impression that Magellan is several steps behind themselves in keeping their web site up to date with upgrades they have available. I'm not sure where the 4.02c update came from, but the link I gave you is maintained by a member of the Yahoo Meridian Users group. That group also has several firmwares for Merdians that haven't surfaced on the Magellan site, even though they are being distributed on CD's with the most recent MapSend Topo version (4.02d, I believe).

Anyway, like TotemLake said, if you download the 10MB update and run it, it will look for MS Topo 3.0; if it finds it it will change it to 4.02c. Besides the SD card support, it also does a flashy little thing of giving a color display of tracks to indicate speed at the various positions. No new maps yet (sigh).

...and yer welcome! Did we miss anything?

Max

[This message was edited by embra on June 22, 2003 at 08:38 PM.]

[This message was edited by embra on June 22, 2003 at 08:41 PM.]

Thanks for everyone's help. I ordered the MeriPlat a few days ago along with the Topo software and am patiently awating their arrival.

stutzismydog,

I have found a link to the software upgrade on Magellan's website. Go here:

http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/products/upgrades/upgrade_meridianplat.asp

It's easy to find.

-Start at the Magellan homepage: http://www.magellangps.com

-On the upper-right, mouseover "Products" then click "Meridian Series".

-About one third of the way down, click "Meridian Platinum".

-Near the top of this page, click on the light gray "Support" in between "Specifications" and "Datasheet".

-Here is where all of the electronic manuals are. Click "Software Update" at the bottom of this list.

-Scroll all the way to the bottom and you'll see a link for the software upgrade.

quote:
Originally posted by biggestmuff:

Thanks for everyone's help. I ordered the MeriPlat a few days ago along with the Topo software and am patiently awating their arrival.

stutzismydog,

I have found a link to the software upgrade on Magellan's website. Go here:

http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/products/upgrades/upgrade_meridianplat.asp

It's easy to find.

-Start at the Magellan homepage: http://www.magellangps.com

-On the upper-right, mouseover "Products" then click "Meridian Series".

-About one third of the way down, click "Meridian Platinum".

-Near the top of this page, click on the light gray "Support" in between "Specifications" and "Datasheet".

-Here is where all of the electronic manuals are. Click "Software Update" at the bottom of this list.

-Scroll all the way to the bottom and you'll see a link for the software upgrade.

Y'all are welcome!

Just so you are aware, that's the firmware upgrade for the GPS and has nothing to do with the Topo upgrade.

Cheers!

TL

biggestmuff~

TotemLake answered the question....The Magellan site only gives a link to update the GPSr, but has no listing to update the ToPo.

Gentlemen~

My next question....Now that I have upgraded my ToPo software to v4.20c from v3.00a on the computer.( v3.00a was origially used to load the regions map info. on to my 64Mb SD) Will I need to reset and reload the the upgraded v4.20c on to my SD card to get any benefit of the software upgrade onto my GPSr ?????

The download of v4.20a was smooth and self installed on the computer....but on first look was not able to see any difference.

No need to update your maps on the SD card; AFAIK they would be identical. I'm not entirely sure why the 4.20c upgrade is 10MB, because it seems the only changes are SD card awareness and the track speed view feature...and perhaps another minor thing or two. You can take advantage of the upgrade features as you come to them; your old detail maps should work fine.

Max

Thanks for all the usefull info!

My MeriPlat arrived yesterday and I tinkered with it a little and read both of the small starter manuals. So far I've just marked my apartment.

I'm going to pick out some caches around my area (22079) and see if I can use it this weekend.

I was planning on buying the Mapsend Topo software for my Platinum to hopefully update/upgrade the map I use now (the base map) with more topo and street information.

Is it worth it? How accurate is it? And does the 4.20c upgrade upgrade from any previous versions? Does the upgrade update the map information or is there some other mechanism to update the map information?

Thanks for the information. I've been having a blast with the geocaching so far, but I'm learning that the base map needs some additional information to make it more useful. icon_smile.gif

-Paul

Skimblz and Sweetldy

The detail maps you can get from MapSend greatly enhance the display. Understand that the maps are somewhat old and not perfect, but still they provide much more detail than the basemaps. New streets may be missing. Accuracy seems to vary by area, perhaps someone out Califor-i-way can share their impressions (Topo is pretty good in Pennsylvania and Maryland). For better or worse, MapSend maps are the only thing that will go in the Meridians at present time, so there's not a whole lot of choice.

4.20c uses the same maps as 3.00. The only enhancements in this upgrade are the abilities to send the map files to an SD card reader or hard drive (as well as the GPS itself, the only capability of 3.00). Also, tracks will display in MapSend with color coding to indicate speed (cute, but not that big a deal).

There are still rumors that a new version of Topo with better maps will come out someday...no real indication from Magellan when that would be. I wouldn't wait, though, you're missing a feature that I think makes the Meridian very special.

Max

I can tell you up here in the Western Washington State area, the topography is relatively accurate. There are a couple of places where I know of a small valley and it shows the foot of a mountain side, but this is a common error with the older maps and really depended upon old style surveys and anecdotes. What it really lacks for me though is the state park trails, focusing more on national park trails and I can't take my dog on those.

Cheers!

TL