315 Data Cable, where can I find one in a store?

Guest ruttencutter

Guest ruttencutter

Well, the subject says it all.

I would like to get a pc connector for my 315, but I can't find one anywhere. Multiple ideas for where I can go on and offline would be a great help.

Thanks,

-S

Just pop into my map shop in Adelaide, South Australia. You can get your pc cable and maybe log a few down under caches while you are in the area. Cheers.

Guest c_oflynn

Hey tak1,

That is a nice store! Its always good to find a Canadian store, the exchage rate is so bad!

I'm looking at getting a 315, is it possible to just make a cable?

-Colin

Guest ruttencutter

are for power and two are for data transfer. I can post the pinout specs on here if anyone wants them. I'm sure you can make a cable of your own, if you are electronically inclined, but it is a lot easier to just drop $40 for a cable that screws right on and can power your gps in your car.

-S

quote:
Originally posted by c_oflynn:

Hey tak1,

That is a nice store! Its always good to find a Canadian store, the exchage rate is so bad!

-Colin

And the guy that owns the place is really good, always answers my questions.

LK

Guest BigDoggie

Best price I have found is US$33.99 at amazon.com. Shipping is $5, remove that by using coupon code DEALJULYPACE, no sales tax, net $34 delivered.

Guest Linda

Keep your eye on ebay as well. Thats where I found mine. Mine was one that somebody made, and it works great. Paid alot less than retail also. Here is a current auction on a genuine Magellan cable: auction

Guest Ron Streeter

The original poster has long since bought his connector at Staples. I bought mine through a shop in the Carolinas for $40 and it was here in a couple of days.

The post from mazda626 showing a web site for building one of these was interesting, but I think that it requires competencies beyond what the average person might have.

Additionally, by the time you round up the parts, do the work and are SURE you have the screw with the RIGHT thread pattern so you don't damage the back of your 315, it is (in my very humble opinion) perhaps a better idea to lay out the $40 or if you are so inclined, save 10 to 20 bucks by doing some online research at auctions etc. Of course, once again your TIME is worth something too.

As a "do it yourselfer" in many areas for the last 35 years, I have found that SOMETIMES it just makes more sense to buy it and pay the price.

ron

Guest rusty

I know the original poster already found one but here is an FYI anyway.

If you are in the Midwest, I bought my 315 data/power cable at the local Gander Mountain store for $24.95+tax right off the shelf.

Rusty...

Guest Cermak
Originally posted by mazda626:

This site has instructions for making a home made cable for the 315

http://www.ifrance.com/rlevass47/

Had a question about the power connection here. This diagram shows 3.8VDC but the book says 9-35VDC with power cable. Now I'm no electronics engineer, but can I hook that up the the 12VDC cig. lighter in the car with say a 1amp fuse and be ok? If so, I'm going to make 2 cables here, one for data and one for power to save the batteries. Thanks- Scott

Guest mazda626

Scott

I believe that the Magellan cig adapter has a transformer built into it to reduce 12VDC down to the required 3.8VDC. I don't own a 315 so I'm not positive on this - maybe a 315 owner could measure the output of their cig adapter and post the results.

Radio Shack sells generic cig adapters with the transformers if it turns out that you need one.

BTW I own a Garmin GPS 12 icon_biggrin.gif and there are a lot more alternate sources of cables/connectors for these units.

Mike

[This message has been edited by mazda626 (edited 22 July 2001).]

Guest mazda626

Scott

I believe that the Magellan cig adapter has a transformer built into it to reduce 12VDC down to the required 3.8VDC. I don't own a 315 so I'm not positive on this - maybe a 315 owner could measure the output of their cig adapter and post the results.

Radio Shack sells generic cig adapters with the transformers if it turns out that you need one.

BTW I own a Garmin GPS 12 icon_biggrin.gif and there are a lot more alternate sources of cables/connectors for these units.

Mike

[This message has been edited by mazda626 (edited 22 July 2001).]

Guest Cermak

> Magellan cig adapter has a transformer

> built into it to reduce 12VDC down to the > required 3.8VDC.

You are correct. I work at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Southern located sports store) and I took one of the cig. lighter adapters out to the car and it does drop the voltage to 3.8VDC.. Thanks for the help.

Scott