converting real estate measurements to coordinates

ezzell

does anyone know of an software or utilities which can convert the measurements used in relators maps (property descriptions) into usable coordinates? We've purchased some property and are trying to figure out where the corners are. Seems like there should be some way to 'translate' the convential notations into 'real world' information.

You have asked a rather general question, mainly because realtor locations are recorded differently in different areas. Most likely you are referring to a State Plane Coordinate system of notation. I believe you are referring to California realtor maps.

The State Plane Coordinate system is simply a flat earth approximation of a not quite spherical earth. It is good for a small area only. Where I live in Pennsylvania the state is broken up into two flat earth systems in order to keep the areas small. California is broken into six state planar coordinate systems.

The conversion program that I use is supplied free by the Army Corps of Engineers and is named Corpscon. Hope this answers your questions.

Having done some land surveying (a long time ago in colleg) I think you're talking about legal descriptions which look something like: From the NE section corner of Section 1 of Township 7E in the Willamette Meridian, 472.3' on a bearing of N 01d18'14.2", thence.......

I'd imagine it will get tough to translate into GPS coords without some conversion software and surveying or trig background. You might search the web for keywords like "section legal description latitude longitude conversion software".

Funny thing is that the survey method was adopted several hundred years ago because there wasn't a reliable method for figuring lats and longs in the field. Maybe surveyors will convert?

As Waterboy pointed out, your question is a rather general one, with no real good solution. As a surveyor (in training, not licensed yet), I would be floored if there was a good way to get a survey without having a surveyor do it, but I think I can help you out here. Obviously, surveyors live in a world of millimeters and seconds of angle, not exactly what you can get out of a handheld GPSr, but if you're looking to get within say 20 or 30 feet of where your boundary is, then this should work.

As others have mentioned, your description is probably in either a metes-and-bounds format (i.e. N89°53'W, 200.00 feet, etc.), a strip description format (i.e. the west 500 feet of the north 200 feet of....), or a PLSS (Public Land Survey System) description (the N1/2 of the NW1/4 of Section 31, etc.), or even some combination of all three. Your first step should be to try to determine good coordinates for your controlling corners, (either subdivision monuments, section corners, etc.), then, based on that bearing and distance drawing your description in an AutoCadd type program, or even by hand. A program like Corpscon is very good for converting Lat/Long into State Plane coords.

Second, generate coordinates of each of your property corners in that State Plane System by using the distances/angles or offsets of your lines (in a strip description).

Third, convert State Plane Coords back into Lat/Long.

Lastly, look for monuments already in the area, this will be the best evidence (better than your GPSr anyway). This is what surveyors would generally base their surveys on (occupation is much more important than the math behind it). Remember, even if your GPSr could get you to within a foot of your coordinate, there is no proof that this is your corner, even a survey is just an opinion of what he thinks, there are hundreds of solutions to every overlap/gap left by tax description. Also, if you can, research the chain of title of your land, this could give you clues as to what the intent of each split of the land was, older parcels will likely have rights over newer parcels. Besides, tax description carry little weight in boundary disputes, only recorded surveys and deeds will show the real picture.

Hunting for irons/monuments is just as gratifying as looking for caches (and can be *much* harder), so have fun. And try not to upset any neighbors!!