Multi use -- Aviation, Hiking, Fishing -- What unit should I buy?

Take a look at the Garmin GPSMAP 76 or GPSMAP 76s. These are great all around units and would do excellent on land, in a car, and on the water. I not to sure about in the air. I know they work I have used mine many times on comercial flights but I am not sure if you can load aviation database into the unit. I do know that you can load road data and Topo data into the unit. The 76 series GPS is a great all around unit. Take a look.

later

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

I am helping my father pick out a gps right now for combined aviation and automotive use.

Check out the Garmin site under aviation models.

You're basically looking at the GPSIII pilot, GPS 92, GPS 195 and the GPS295.

The 195 & 295 are likely the only two to fit the bill, though the 295 may be a bit large for hiking.

Garmin Aviation Handhelds...

The folks at ...J-A Air Center seemed pretty knowledgable & had very good prices. Give them a call.

Good luck and get ready to spend some $$ if you REALLY want to get what you're asking for. icon_rolleyes.gif

Also, check out this review: gps 295 review

or this one: another 295 review

or this review of all the above Multiple Aviation GPS Models reviewed...

Better stop while I'm ahead... icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Us 5 Camp on April 24, 2002 at 07:20 PM.]

I am helping my father pick out a gps right now for combined aviation and automotive use.

Check out the Garmin site under aviation models.

You're basically looking at the GPSIII pilot, GPS 92, GPS 195 and the GPS295.

The 195 & 295 are likely the only two to fit the bill, though the 295 may be a bit large for hiking.

Garmin Aviation Handhelds...

The folks at ...J-A Air Center seemed pretty knowledgable & had very good prices. Give them a call.

Good luck and get ready to spend some $$ if you REALLY want to get what you're asking for. icon_rolleyes.gif

Also, check out this review: gps 295 review

or this one: another 295 review

or this review of all the above Multiple Aviation GPS Models reviewed...

Better stop while I'm ahead... icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Us 5 Camp on April 24, 2002 at 07:20 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJohnson63:

I am new to this sport. I need to know what unit I should purchase. I plan to use mine while flying VFR, hiking, and camping etc. Can I upload aviation maps and road and topography?

Thanks

Scott

I've owned an M320 (which is an M315 with nautical aids), an M400 Colourmap, an Etrex and another Garmin Streetmap or something. I finally settled on a GM100, by Lowrance. The AirMap by Lowrance is very similiar but with airport info. I sounds biased because I own one, but I decided on it because I've owned others. Garmin is hands down the industry leader now, but Lowrance (Eagle) has always catered to air or marine applications. The GM100 is old by design but for capabilty, it still runs with the pack. It's big disadvantage is size and battery consumption. It's also the most programmable, especially when it comes to making your own maps or buying aviation or marine maps. Garmins still require buying hardware for maps instead of software, kind of a monopoly if you ask me. But their land maps are definately superior to all. I wouldn't recommend the newer IFinder from Lowrance becasue of compatibilty issues with older software. I also layed my eyes on a new Magellin today - looked pretty good but that was only in the box. That's the ONLY thing positive I can say about Mags.

As far as creating/uploading your own maps, don't let it weigh to much on your decision. Although the GM100 allows you to do this, it takes A LOT of patience, practice and reading.

I'm sure everyone here can tell you pros and cons for various units, as I just did. My strongest suggestion would be to go to GPSnuts website and read the multitude of reviews. They're definately *the* experts. Being a pilot, you're probably anal retentive of sorts so this type of info will definately serve useful to you.

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif

I've got my lowrance airmap 100 for sale on ebay.

Its got an up to date jeppesen database, landmap software and a carmount (all extra items from a new one). Also, the unit has just been returned from Lowrance with a 6 mo warranty and it looks to me like they gave me a brand new one (no scratches or imperfections of any kind).

Here's the link if your interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3019326860&category=4668

I would just like to mention that having an avionics style GPS while flying to me is invaluable as it will warn you when you are about to enter restricted or controlled airspaces. If I were still flying I would definitly spring for at least the airmap 100 if not the newer garmin 196 (but its $1000 bucks). YOu can get a new airmap 100 for $430 then for another 100 you can buy the landdata CD which gives you all local roads everywhere in the US.

Its like another $115.

Todd

Thats so funny!! I couldn't figure out the time stamps on that thread...I didn't notice the thread was exactly 1 year old. If it had been a day off or something I might have noticed the year being different.

Anyway, Thanks for the heads up and I had already posted in the garage sale forum. I just saw that thread and thought I would take the opportunity to pitch my sale again.

Todd

Get a separate unit for aviation. I have an eTrex Vista for caching and a 195 or flying. You dont want to be squinting at a tiny little screen when you are keeping up with everything else in the cockpit. The 195 and now the 196, which is like the 295 but black and white, have large screens. You can just glide your eyes across the screen in one swoop gather the data you need and move on. The database is there, and it has firmware features that you wont find in a non-aviation unit. Extended runway centerlines and of course all the frequency and runway length data, services, etc. You'll find all that in a 195 or 195 or 295. These all come with yoke mounts, DC jacks to plug in. External antenna is a must, the 76 and others like that have built in. You cannot be losing your lock when you are flying, hopefully you arent relying on it to much, but you need a good lock working in your favor.

Hope that helps.

Bryan

I couldn't agree more. There is just no substitute for an aircraft GPS. Now that I own my GPS V I've found that out.

Having airspace warnings and runways listed on-screen and frequencies is just too helpful.

Even though, all that should have been looked up prior to takeoff.