eTrex Vista vs. Meridian Platinum opinions desired

I am researching 2 GPS units:

Garmin eTrex Vista

Magellan Meridian Platinum

I intend to use the GPS for GeoCaching (duh!) as well an in a small boat for basic navigation (using a map).

Any opinions as to which one would best fill the bill?

Is one easier to use than the other?

If someone has a strong opinion about some other models (less expensive0 I wouldn't mind heaing them as well.

I will be buying add-on topo maps. I don't see a waterways mp for Missouri, showing ramps and such.

For the Meridian, can you download maps dirctly to the SD card (using an SD card reader in my computer) and then plug the card into the GPS and the maps will be ready to use? (Thus avoiding having to plug the GPS into my computer)

Or do I need to download through the GPS to the card? (running out of computer ports)

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

"For the Meridian, can you download maps dirctly to the SD card (using an SD card reader in my computer) and then plug the card into the GPS and the maps will be ready to use? (Thus avoiding having to plug the GPS into my computer)

Or do I need to download through the GPS to the card? (running out of computer ports)"

Yes you can use a SD Reader and SD card for loading maps into your GPS...I do this. I had some problems using the 128 mb card, but others work well.

TennNomad Ray

I can't speak for the Vista, but I own a Plat and I think it would work well for you. As a matter of fact, when I upgraded from my etrex Venture I was struck that the Meridian seemed to be designed more for marine use than road use (an entirely subjective feeling that was in part due to the feature set on my Garmin).

If money is a consideration, you may want to think about the Meridian Green...it has most of the same features as the higher priced Meridians, with only a smaller base map. Since you'll be getting detailed maps, this disadvantage is considerably lessened.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

For use primarily in a boat I'd go with the Platinum for the following reasons:

Floats, bigger screen which is easier to see from various locations within the boat. The magnetic compass doesn't have to be held horizontal so you can use it even if you have the receiver mounted on the dash or something. And as others have already mentioned the nav screens are really well set up for nautical type navigation.

For what it's worth

Jeff

to check out this unit. I bought my GPSMAP 76S this month, and am highly impressd. I was considering the Meriplat for awhile, but there last firmware update caused to many people trouble. Now we own three Garmin products, and happy with them all.

"If I knew how thirsty I was going to be this morning, I would have drank more last night."

Should I be concerned about Magellan quality?

Or is these firmware and shutoff problems affecting very few people?

Should I stick to the Garmen line?

I really like the idea of an SD card which the Garmin does not have (one less connection to my COM ports). That is pretty much why I am leaning towards the MeriPlat. (Having it cheap at Costco does not hurt.)

I have the enthusiasm and permission of my better half to buy a GPS with all these features, but I will not have the permission to get a second one (probably forever), so I need to buy the right one, the first time.

DustyJacket

Dusty,

I've got both a Garmin GPS V and a Platinum. I haven't had any major problems with either. The SD card is a nice feature, but you'll probably still need that COM port to download waypoints to the unit (if you use easyGPS) and to use the mapping software. I would go with the Platinum personally. Version 4.02 worked well for me. If you can swing it the GPS V has auto-routing which is a handy feature. Versus the Etrex, I would go with the Platinum though. Hope this helps.

Tony

I was hoping to hear from a VISTA owner as well.

Here is what I have:

MeriPlat:

Waterproof & floats

Possibly more accurate

Screen is better for marine use.

Possibly more susceptible to cold weather

Possibly has "issues" with firmware updates

Vista:

Does not float

Possibly does better in cold weather

Possibly has "issues" with loose batteries

Hmmm..... what to do, what to do ..........

DustyJacket

Hello! I am sure the Etrex has advantages, but I do not own one, so I can't give you much of an opinion on one. I do own the Meridian Platinum however.

Another plus to add to yor list for the MeriPlat - front mounted, backlit controls. This is really nice for use at night on a boat or in a car. The buttons are easy to access without distracting your attention as much, and they are easily seen because they are backlit.

The SD card is awesome when you consider how much detailed mapping info you can store.

You can get the Blue Nav (marine maps) software which has a copy protected SD card that can be run in the Meridian. Maybe someone who has used this can comment on it.

I ran version 4.02 when I first got mine, and use it with a 128mb card. No problems for me.

As someone else mentioned, the compass on the Platinum is really nice and I use it in my truck (mounted vertically) with good results.

BAJATACO.COM

Vibram or BFG - getting there on rubber and seeing it all!

I just turned my Plat on (inside the house). It took a little over a minute to get a 4-sat lock. I turned it off, waited about 15 seconds, and turned it back on. It got a lock in 10 seconds.

I think this is typical...if the satellite location is "fresh" (they haven't moved around too much since the last power on), lock can be secured quickly.

I would want to reassure you about the firmware problems etc. You see a disproportionate representation of problems in any public discussion--those with problems are trying to find a fix! I don't have the numbers to support my argument, but I'm reasonably confident that the vast majority of upgraders had no problems or problems of such a minor nature as to be negligible. If it *is* of concern, the 3.12 firmware was quite stable.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

I like the functions of my Vista. I like the user interface, the maps, the compass, well, just about everything about how it is handled.

But the hardware platform isn't terrific. My first Vista started showing the flickering lines in the display syndrome after four months. The problem slowly escalated, and at the end of the warranty period it was replaced by Garmin, with a brand new one. icon_smile.gif Now, four months later, that second Vista has lost one pixel row across the display. icon_frown.gif

Hopefully those of more recent manufacture date are better.

Anders

Tracklogging and waypoints are far better in the Vista, than the Meridians. Longer waypoint names in the Vista, and better tracklogging, like when you turn the Vista on and off, it breaks the tracklog into a new segment. With the latest firmware, the Vista should get up to 10,000 tracklog points into it's memory. The Antenna, and the Rubber amour are poor in the Vista(I have a Vista). The Meridian is best for it's antenna, and has good construction. The Meridians suffer from a slow processor, and low res screen. I have a Platinum, and it is great with a 128 meg card, but it is nowhere near as good as the GPS V, in the Detroit area, the mapping is better and more accurate in the GPS V, than the Meridian.

For screen Size, Tracklogging, Mapping, Memory, and Electronic compass, I would get a GPS Map76s.

1)The Vista is the Best Pocket unit available.

2)The Meridian Plat is best for Caching.

3)The GPS V is best for Driving.

4)The Garmins are best for Tracklogging.

5)The Sportracks are best for antenna performance,

so is the Meridians.

6)The Meridians are best for their ability to

store many waypoint and tracklog files to the memory card.

There is no one best GPS, or Manufacture.

My opinions have been posted now.

------------------------

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

For the Meridians:

1) Remove Memory card.

2) Clear All Memory

3) upgrade the firmware

4) When it's done, pop out the batts.

5) Put card back in, and the batts.

6) Turn it on and clear All again.

7) Now you can do the Re-initialization outside now, being carefull to perform each step that the GPS needs to reinitialize again.

I did not perform these steps to the letter, so the Platinum really messed up. Tried reflashing the firmware twice more, with no results. I down graded the firmware, then got a copy of the steps listed above, and did them perfectly, so now the unit works great now.

With the latest firmware from Garmin, it is best to save all your data to a computer, then Clear all memory, then upgrade the unit, then reset again. Now you can reload the data back to the Garmin unit.

It is easy to kill a Garmin or Magellan, when you reflash the new firmware into it, so it does make sense to study the procedure beforehand.

Quality issues have been random, and effects both Garmin and Magellan.

My experience is that you would need to give any GPS about 15 minutes of open sky view, to allow it to download a good set of Satellite data(The Almanac(Includes all the info of the positions of the satellites plus more)/5 +3.14159). Kidding about the math. I have bought several Magellans and Garmins, and they all need a view of the sky for 15 minutes, before starting out and about for the day. If you power up a GPS, then immediatly start going, then tracklogging looks messed up(All over the place). Just remember to not leave it on top of your car.

------------------------

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

If you are primarily using the unit in a vehicle, go with the Magellan. eTrex units are intended for one hand, but not one finger operation. (Though if you are primarily a vehicle user, I'd consider a unit with an ext. ant. connector).

If you are doing heavy duty backpacking, climbing, kayaking, or whatever. Go with the eTrex.

Personally, I think that the whole memory thing is over rated. That is, I think that the biggest plus to the SD cards is they can be loaded with a writer that is faster than RS-232 speeds. But, even so, I find maps nice, but not as useful as you might think. The scale is small, the screens are small (the Meridian has a slightly larger screen, but much lower resolution)... I just don't find them a substitute for a good paper map.

-jjf

First of all, let me begin by saying I only own one GPSR: The Magellan MAP 330.

I recently did an upgrade (obtained from Magellan's tech dept. and sent to me on a cd-r) to Version 4.00 and can say that this thing is the cat's meow for me.

I have heard of a "random-power-off" issue, but I have not experiened it. I am very careful with firmware and follow instructions implicitly and study exhaustively the instructions included with any material.

Equally important is finding a discussion forum for your particular unit. The "m330" Yahoo Group has been of invaluable help and assistance. I understand there is also a Meridian Yahoo Group, as well, although I don't know it's exact name at this time.

The MAP 330 series is avialable with the MAP 330 and MAP 330M (Marine) units, is usually quite inexpensive compared to the newer units, and is accurate to a tee. My last geocache hunt put me with me holding my MAP 330 over the cache, itself--which was in the hollow, stump end of an fallen-over tree--and it showed 4-3 feet with WAAS in view.

The MAP 330M has a Marina, Navaid, Fixed Buoy, and other such Marine database features. With the upgrade to the Version 4.00 firmware, it is now compatible with Magellan's BlueNAV nautical chart product--which I have no experience with, but am eager to try out.

If you're technically savvy, the MAP 330 is one of the most hacked-up GPSR's on the market. I have successfully uploaded, for example, the Meridian Green's 2mb basemap. The MAP 330 has a total of 16MB of on-board memory (no card memory feature).

The MAP 330 comes with the North America Land basemap, version 1.10. The MAP 330M has a 9.5mb basemap, and is the same as the land, but has the addition of the Marine dababase information added. The remainder of the memory is for detail maps that I upload from the MapSend Streets CD that came with my MAP 330X package.

The MAP 330X package comes with the MAP 330, MapSend Streets, a three(3)-suction-cup bracket/cradle that hangs from your windshield and also doubles as a data cradle (with the included Power/Data cable attached (Car Lighter-12V Power plug).

This package is still available in some dealer's stock, and would give you everything you need to get started. Alternately, you could buy the MAP 330M--identified by it's WHITE CASE; the MAP 330's casing is DARK GREEN.

With the 2mb map loaded, you have about 12mb of detail map memory in a MAP 330. Since I live near the Great Lakes area, I am using the 9.5mb Basemap. I am eager to see the BlueNAV product and plan to pick a cd up when they come out in my area. As to inland lake coverage, I have not a clue.

I am working on an individual gpsr development project, and I plan on including--with a lot of input from all 48 states, Alaska, and Hawaii--a 'State's Inland Lakes Database', with depth/contour charts for all inland lakes that may be available in any state.

This will depend on the main database that I decide to use, who submits what to me for consideration, etc.

SUMMARIZING:

Magellan MAP 330/330M as am alternate possibility.

Upgrade to 4.00 available (from the cd-r Magellan sent me if you like).

MAP 330X package with the aforementioned "X-tras."

Quite easy to upload individual basemaps (not factory supported) if you so choose, with a well-documented group on Yahoo Groups: "m330" that can be of emminent assistance.

A unit that is considered by many to be one of the most accurate handheld gpsr on the market, with perhaps the exeption of the SporTrak Pro, which can be foundHere (Click) .

I also use my MAP 330 for Geocaching, and it's dead-on accurate every time, holds a five or six satellite lock inside my upstairs apt. regularly. Outside, it is, in my opinion, simply amazing! icon_smile.gif

--

That said, alternately you might want to invest some time in looking at Garmin's GPSmap 76 or 76S units. They have built-in tidal data for if you live near the coast. The map76 has 8mb of on-board memory, and the 76S has 24mb, plus an active compass and altimeter/barometer system that is much more accurate than the Meridian Platinum's. The Platinum has the 3-axis compass, which is, in my honest opinion, just a bit more useful in practical operational terms; the map76S's has to be held flat, which is, of course, no problem with the GPSmap 76S users icon_wink.gif.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

It appears from reviews on the Internet that the Sprtrak and Meridian GPSr are the most accurate, althought there are a lot of testemonials for the Garmen Rino series.

I want to have the radio seperate from the GPSr for various reasons.

I really like the memory card feature, so the SporTrak Pro is gone.

I really like to Meridian Color, to easily distinguish streams from trails, plains from bodies of water, etc. But, for $499 it is nearly twice what the platinum is at Costo (Internet order only).

That extra $220 will pay for a nice CamelBak pack, a logbook, a better compas, trade goods, an FRS/GMSR radio, etc, etc.

So it looks like The Meridian Platinum is how I'll go. Once I make the purchase and work with it, I'll post observations for other newbies like me.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this link. icon_biggrin.gif

DustyJacket

mtnsteve - thanks. icon_smile.gif

I had been to that site before, but didn't go through the hoops to check the price, and I couldn't remember if that was one of the rip-off places or not.

Their price beats Costco by $10. icon_biggrin.gif

(I feel much better now.)

DustyJacket