Best introductory setup for under $300

I'm exhausted! My eyes are crossed I very much want to get out of this office, out of the house and start caching. I just can't leave my computer. Problem is, every time I think that I have the right combination of GPS and mapping software and I am ready to purchase, I see a post or other information that changes the direction.

Please help! I do not want to get started and then find out that if I had just bought (THIS), I would have got those great little features that make caching that much easier and enjoyable.

I would like a GPS that will not need to be upgraded within the next 6 months and mapping software that can be used for both caching and personal (door to door) use. And as you can tell by my lack of knowledge, user friendly.

Unfortunately, I don't know what I don't know. And until I get, going… won't know.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

FFRP

Sir, turn off the computer and take three steps backwards

I just bought a Garmin Legend from Amazon for 189.99 less the $50 rebate gets final cost down to 139.99. I think this unit will be good for my use. I don't think it can be a very bad decision at that price. It has 41 reviews on Amazon.com and the average rateing is 4.5 stars. That along with the infomation from different Groundspeak Forums and the low unit cost helped me choose this unit. Now I can get mapping software and still not go overboard. Some more expensive models would be nice but try to tell that to my wife. icon_biggrin.gif

For your price, find a GPS V.

Someone just posted a GPS V for 385 on Amazon with a 75 dollar rebate. That's close enough to your 300... Plus it's the only hand held GPS that does door to door routing like you wanted.

Beats the snot out of the 500 I paid when I first got mine.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

When I started shopping for a GPSr I research everything for quite awhile. I settled on the Garmin eTrex Legend. Later on I began to research more receivers as I wanted a second one. Over and over again I came back to the Legend. I fully recommend it.

I ended up getting a Vista for my second one as I didn't want to just get the same thing I already had. I like the Vista quite a bit, but I still prefer the Legend. Much longer battery life and IMO altimeters and magnetic compasses are way overrated.

YES, for your amount to spend, get the Legend, It is a compact unit that will serve your needs, but it is limited by 8 meg map memory.

Two to consider: GPS V or Meridian Platinum.

The Platinum uses SD memory cards, but I consider that a Garmin has better Tracklogging, and more accurate Trip Computer information. My Platinum always comes up short here. But I will use my Platinum like a heat seeking missle on the Geocaches.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

What I can say is that of all the GPS units ive tested in Detroit Michigan, is that nothing comes close to the Mapping, Tracklogging, and routing as the GPS V does. The price may bite you at first, but it comes with 2 CD-Roms of City Select software, Data cable, Power Cable, a wire bound manual and a Dashboard mount.

I wanted a memory upgradable unit. This left little to choose from, however my decision came down to the Garmin ETrek Vista and the Meridian Platinum. Both same price, though MeriPlat has $50 rebate. The Garmin has 24MB internal memory, MeriPlat 16, but upgradeable.

I finally got the Meridian Platinum and a SD memory card. I bought the MapSend software a week later, but not for Geocaching.

I have yet to be led astray (benchmarks aside) in finding geocaches. I love it.

---

Brad Buskey

N38:17.281, W85:32.998

deckyon@NOSPAM.msn.com

Magellan Meridian Platinum

The Legend is a nice unit. However, I loaded Los Angeles County Mapsource Metroguide in mine and it takes up the entire 8 MB available. I am near the border of Orange County, which needs another 8 MB. The Vista with 24 MB would be better.

I also have a Meridian with a 128 MB card. I loaded most of California, and western Nevada and Arizona and have over 90 MB left for topo and/or marine maps. You can find the Meridian for as little as $100, the card for $40, card reader for $15, the software for $70 and then get a $50 rebate. Great value.

If you are a member of Costco, I just saw an incredible deal on a Sportrak Pro package that included EVERYTHING (gps, mapping software, car mount, carrying case, etc.) for $289 with a $75 rebate making the total $215.

This is a great deal and best of all you don't have to buy anything else. I'm sure not every Costco will have it though.

I managed to get a Legend for only $110 using rebates and price matching. Be patient and you should get a great price. Good luck!

--CoronaKid

quote:
Originally posted by CoronaKid:

If you are a member of Costco, I just saw an incredible deal on a Sportrak Pro package that included EVERYTHING (gps, mapping software, car mount, carrying case, etc.) for $289 with a $75 rebate making the total $215.

This is a great deal and best of all you don't have to buy anything else. I'm sure not every Costco will have it though.

I managed to get a Legend for only $110 using rebates and price matching. Be patient and you should get a great price. Good luck!

I've seen that deal at Costco here too (Phoenix, AZ). It's also ONLINE. If I had the money to burn I think I'd have bit.

Right next to it they had a set of Bushnell binoculars for $30. Can't find them online though. Probably not the best around, but sure good enough for goofing around while caching. Those I'll probably get.

Check out GPS on Sale for some great deals. I just purchased a Magellan Meridian with Mapsend USA streets for $189.99. Magellan is also running a rebate on many units and software. $50 rebate on select GPS units and $25 on software. Garmin is also offering rebates. Check out the website of the manufacturer you are interested in.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_rolleyes.gif