Garmin Legend owners, chime in!

Good choice. Don't need the electronic compass. The memory would be nice though. With the vista you can input all of this state in the maps and then some. With the legend about half the state.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

I like my legend, though I eventually decided to replace it. Here's a summary of my 2 years experience with it:

Good:

The form factor makes it really convienent.

The battery life is very good.

The screen looks really good, though too small for use while driving, other than in the big-numbers mode

The lastest firmware adds lots of cool features, like the ability to store 10000 trackpoints.

Bad:

The little rubber gasket comes loose. Garmin will fix it a few times, but it keeps happening. I have had some luck using a special cyano-acrylate adhesive designed to bond rubber to plastic.

There have been a lot of problems with flaky screens. Some claim that it can be fixed by using foam strips along the inside of the battery door, but it hasn't worked for me.

There have been reports of problems with the click-stick boots.

Under heavy tree cover, it really does have problems holding lock. However, I have heard that it's better at holding lock in a urban canyon environment. I don't have experience with that.

All it all, it's probably a very good mid-range unit for geocaching. If you can justify the cost, I recommend the GPS V or the MeriGold.

-- Mitch

I have 2 legends myself. Both work awesome. value and function was really the main point of the Legend.

As far as the inside of the car bit, I have seen MANY threads on here about people who have different cars have different results. Some have antennas in the windsheild which affect results.

Personally I get much better Reception on my Caravan than I do my Lumina Van.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

I love my Legend! I was rather disappointed with how little of MetroGuide 5 will fit into it. I cannot even get all of the Washington, DC Beltway uploaded into it. SO... I bought an eMap and a 128MB data card for the car and I use the Legend for Caching/walking around. Maybe someday Garmin will combine the best of both of these units and put in a quad helix antenna... Until then, I'll be happy with the two that I have icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for all of the info! I was so stuck on whether or not I should just fork out the extra $100 for the vista, but $100 is just too much money considering that I could buy a compass at the store for $5. And the satellite calculated altitude on any Garmin GPS i've had has been very accurate so...

Anyway, the legend is on its way, I can't wait to start using it. icon_cool.gif

Using Opera 7.1

quote:
Originally posted by Neo_Geo:

I love my Legend! I was rather disappointed with how little of MetroGuide 5 will fit into it. I cannot even get all of the Washington, DC Beltway uploaded into it. SO... I bought an eMap and a 128MB data card for the car and I use the Legend for Caching/walking around. Maybe someday Garmin will combine the best of both of these units and put in a quad helix antenna... Until then, I'll be happy with the two that I have icon_biggrin.gif

Probably need to de-select the Auto-routing option in mapsource before you upload the maps. That will give you much more area.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

Pneumatic gave a good review, although I have not have had the gasket problem in 7 months of ownership.

As for compass, I always carry a hand compass, so I do not miss an internal one.

As for the memory, it is a problem with the metroguide software. I can only fit one county, and I live near the border of another one.

volks_ev71,

I started with a Venture. In less than one year, I had upgraded to a Legend. The Legend is definitely a great unit. But here I am with less than a year under my belt with a Legend and I'm thinking about getting a Summit to go along with the Legend or getting a Vista.

Go save a little more money and get a Vista. CharterMarine has them for $244.95 + $10 for shipping.

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

The Legend is a great unit, especially if you got one when the rebate was in effect. Lots of bang for the buck. Don't discount the Venture, for a strictly geocaching or off-road unit, it is hard to beat. However, for an all-purpose unit at a great price, go for the Legend. There are times when I would like to have the compass in the same unit, but most times I can use a handheld compass to get my bearings when I get near a cache and then the GPS is all I need.

I've had my Legend for about a month now. Like you I was going to get the Vista. I'm more than happy with my choice I've found a few caches and hidden one already. I've had a couple of people tell me my coordinates were right on. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.

"If you mess with a Porcupine you might just get the quills. LOL I just had to say that"

Good luck with the Legend. I have a Vista and just a couple of comments that aply to both and the other GPS's I suppose too.

Reception in the car works great for most except for the few vehicles that have windshields that contain metal. That blocks the signal. Check out the web page for EZPASS auto toll collectors. I believe they have a list of the vehicles.

I had the gasket come loose too. That's from jamming the unit between the hot windshield and the dash. Get yourself a suction cup holder to avoid the problem. I now use the one from RAM Mounts which is a pretty good unit. WHile costly at about $35, it'll save the GPS and atually provides better and safer while driving viewing and handling that's worth it long term. Better than the "jam" method.

ALan

quote:
Originally posted by fly46:

I use one and can't use it inside the car.

Mine works fine inside my car (VW Jetta with dark metallic tint on the windows). In fact, this morning on the way to work I was picking up so many satellites plus WAAS that my accuracy was 7 feet! I don't understand why some folks can't get theirs to work in their car.

quote:
Originally posted by Thack Pack:

quote:
Originally posted by fivebushs:

I don't understand why some folks can't get theirs to work in their car.

The windshields of http://www.e-zpassny.com/static/info/exteriortags.html contain metal and are unable to get a signal from the heavens.

I am very familiar with these windshields you mention...we used to own a vehicle that had one. Still doesn't make sense that my Legend even works in the back seat of my car surrounded by metal and heavy metallic tint.

quote:

Oh...one other possibility did come to mind...my car is a diesel and therefore would be much less likely a source of RF interference (no ignition system). Maybe that helps with the signals...it certainly helps the MPG (average 56mpg).

TDI? icon_biggrin.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

Garmin GPS III+

If you are in a car, which has this metallic coating on the front windscreen, it may very well work better in the back seat. Several side windows will let the signals come in, even if some of them are reflected from objects outside, and hence less reliable.

Many cars with metallic screens in their front window have a "gap" in the screen behind the rear view mirror. This is intended for highway toll transmitters. Try holding your GPS there, to see if it starts working. If so, you know what you are up to.

Anders

I upgrade to the Legend yesterday from the Etrex. Three things I like better on old Yeller.

1. On the extex when you search on the waypoint for the nearest, when moving the waypoints order would adjust depending upon where you were. The legend I have does not. You have to go back into the screen to see the new closest order. Are yours like that? That is stupid if true.

2. Also, I like how the legend put the mileage of each point on that screen for distance from point.

3. Legend seems not as solid as the Etrex. May be it is the weight.

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

I just upgraded from a Venture. Loving it.

Especially the 1000 waypoint memory. That kicks major butt icon_smile.gif Now I can have my entire pocket query limit AND all the multi-stage waypoints I could ever need.

I've only got basemaps running. I've been using my non-mapping venture for so long I got used to not having maps, but I have to say that even the base map is nice icon_smile.gif I like being able to see where I drove a little bit vs. just lines on the screen.

I'm a huge fan of the eTrex line. Small and capable. You get a few headaches under tree cover but really it's not that bad. I'm knocking on wood, but I've never had a single issue with my garmins and I've beat the ever loving crud out of htem.

I'm real happy.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:

I am very familiar with these windshields you mention...we used to own a vehicle that had one. Still doesn't make sense that my Legend even works in the back seat of my car surrounded by metal and heavy metallic tint.

The metallic coating is used to block the UV rays that can damage sensitive electrical equipment. Since there is very little important electical equipment in the back the window is left untreated.