Question for Magellan Sportrak and Mapsend Topo Users

I am very new to this geocaching and loving every minute of it. I'm hooked. Question....

I have a Magellan Sportrak Color GPS and the Magellan Mapsend Topo software loaded on my laptop. I've connected the two with no problem. Can you do a "go to" with the software/laptop. I totally understand how to do one on the gps unit but am having trouble understanding how to make it happen in Mapsend. Also, when I download a track from my GPS unit, the time isnt correct. The time that's set on the unit is fine but when I download it, it changes. Thanks in advanced for your help!

I've never tried to do that, but I would suppose if you create a 2-waypoint route from present position to destination, that would be the functional equivalent of a goto.

Oh wait...no way to activate a route in MapSend. I see why you're asking the question now. It looks to me that you can display your position in MapSend with a GPS connection, but that's about it. Maybe someone else knows a way to do what you're asking, but I think your difficulty in finding the solution is that you can only do that on the GPS.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

I don't understand the question.

If you're looking for the equivalent of the "goto waypoint" on the GPS from within Mapsend, I think Embra's answer of a small route is as good as you'll get.

The Magellans appear to do everything internally as UTC (a.k.a. GMT). When you set the time from the keypad, you're merely telling it the current offset. Mapsend also stores everything as UTC. HOWEVER, I have seen a couple of bugs in both the receiver and Mapsend regarding timekeeping on tracks as part of GPSBabel development.

Is the time consistently off a fixed integral number of hours or does it jitter around for you?

If you see the date advancing wildly, you are being afflicted by what we in the GPSBabel crowd call "Magellan Time Travel". When the timestamps in your tracklog go backwards (which I'm suspecting they aren't supposed to do) it triggers a case in the Mapsend that advances it one day. So if your backtrack log marches backwards 1/8'th of a second today in this track, suddenly you'll find all subsequent trackpoints in this track happening tomorrow.

It's very zany.

Thanks for the help gang!

I was familiar with creating a route between two waypoints. The only problem with that is it only points me in the direction of my destination from the original point. When I drive off course, which obviously you do when you are on streets and roads, I have no refrence of what direction my destinition is.

The time off is consistent. I feel it's using UTC instead of the actually time I was in route. Thanks for the answer.

I really appreciated you guys taking the time to help! icon_smile.gif

Ah! I think one thing that will help is if (from the map screen) you choose Menu/Map setup/Display, and then toggle on Position-Destination line and toggle off Departure-Destination line. Departure-Destination is on by default, and it's much more useful for boaters than for automobile navigation.

This was a new feature available with the 4.x firmware.

Max

Embra~

Once again you have answered one of my long standing questions about how to set up the Position-Destination line. You are truly a learned professor of this wonderful machine.

One of these days,....when you have lots of time on your hands, it would be very helpful if you would post a check list of settings for the MeriPlat that the average Geocacher would use just like the one above.

I know that the answers are in the BOOK if you can stand to read it,.... But you have a unique way of explaining things that turn on the light of understanding. icon_cool.gif

Thanks again for your help. Jerry

Must...resist...flattery... icon_smile.gif

Seriously, thanks for the kind words. Actually, I made a memo in my PDA of my settings so that in the event of having to reset everything (e.g., when upgrading firmware), I wouldn't have to re-discover what works best for me. So with a little annotation, I can comply with that request in short order.

I'll start a new thread; it might be interesting to see what settings others find useful, too (since setting preferences are quite subjective).

Max