GPS In The Car With A Laptop

rjo

Hello Everyone,

I've got the RINO 120. What all do I have to purchase to have navigation in the car with my laptop software and/or hardware wise.

Also, I am in Canada if that makes a difference for what mapping software I can use, etc.

Thanks much!

I have a Garmin Venture and all I had to do was hook up the cable that comes with it. I use an old IBM 760el with Delorme Topo USA 3.0. Most people dont like the delorme but Ive used it for my work as a directional driller and it works great. I can download the waypoints to the program as a draw file and use real time tracking to get me to the cache where i then use my Garmin out of the Jeep. By the Way I used to use the street type maps but they had a tendency to be vague off the main roads.

quote:
Originally posted by rjo:

Hello Everyone,

I've got the RINO 120. What all do I have to purchase to have navigation in the car with my laptop software and/or hardware wise.

Also, I am in Canada if that makes a difference for what mapping software I can use, etc.

Thanks much!

I have done this several times with my GPS V. I have used MS Streets and Trips and Delorme Street Atlas. Both are good products and they each have their high points. MS S&T is faster in finding location and POIs but I like the power of DSA. Street Atlas also has voice commands and accepts voice input. You can ask "Are we there yet?" and it will tell you. Quite novel feature.

As far as connecting them I bought a cable from GPSGeek on e-bay. Very cost effective and quick to ship. I don't know if he has cables for the RINO or not. But if your RINO came with a cable to hook to the computer it should work with either of these maping programs.

If you get MS S&T make sure you get 2004 edition very cheap with a $10 MIR at best buy or other store. The latest version updates your position every second compared to the 2003 version that updated every 15 seconds. But with the old version you could download a hack that would make it update every 1 seconds.

Have fun.

I use the freeware USA PhotoMaps from www.jdmcox.com. I run that on the laptop and download the satellite photo images of the area I am traveling. The I hook up the legend to the laptop via cable and off I go. It does live tracking on the actual photos of where I am driving. It sure adds an element of realism to the live GPS tracking on maps. Maps are greate too but to see on acutal photos.. that is better. Great software this USA PhotoMaps.

There is a safety consern when using a laptop in your car. Airbags. If the airbag deploys it will push the laptop into whomever is using it. This can kill or seriously injure them. Airbags can deploy with only a minor impact. Paper maps are much safer.

Dorothy: "How can you talk if haven't got a brain?" Scarecrow: "I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"

quote:
Originally posted by Terrahunt:

I have a Garmin Venture and all I had to do was hook up the cable that comes with it. I use an old IBM 760el with Delorme Topo USA 3.0. Most people dont like the delorme but Ive used it for my work as a directional driller and it works great. .............

I have the cables for that setup but have not yet tried that with my TP-760ED (that display is excellent!)... been using the TP with Street Atlas or Map 'n' Go and the TripMate receiver in the Jeeps with very good results for several years.

I guess the Vista would be a better receiver and can be used with those DeLorme programs as well.

Now I have to go out and try it icon_cool.gif .

I Roger your vector, Victor...... Over.

I like the setup pretty good

quote:
Originally posted by Overland1:

quote:
Originally posted by Terrahunt:

I have a Garmin Venture and all I had to do was hook up the cable that comes with it. I use an old IBM 760el with Delorme Topo USA 3.0. Most people dont like the delorme but Ive used it for my work as a directional driller and it works great. .............

I have the cables for that setup but have not yet tried that with my TP-760ED (that display is excellent!)... been using the TP with Street Atlas or Map 'n' Go and the TripMate receiver in the Jeeps with very good results for several years.

I guess the Vista would be a better receiver and can be used with those DeLorme programs as well.

Now I have to go out and try it icon_cool.gif .

_I Roger your vector, Victor...... Over._

quote:
Originally posted by rjo:

Hello Everyone,

Thanks much!

The cable that came with the Rino will work with Mapsource (best for a Garmin product) as well as several other mapping programs.

Also hire a driver so you can safely use the above. icon_wink.gif I tried it out with my Vista once. It was lucky there wasn't much traffic that day. Between glancing at the GPS & the laptop, my driving was seriously compromised.