GPS-V and GPSmap 76S

Hi, All. Firefishe, outta Michigan.

I am finally going to be financially able to get my first GPS unit toward the end of August, and I am happy as a clam! No more "just looking at the maps" to find caches! I'm tickled.

However (heh heh heh icon_wink.gif ), there's a bit of a conundrum I'm facing. I've decided on the GPS-V or the GPSmap 76S. I'm mainly using this device for geocaching...right now. I don't get out on the water much, but I may have a need for this use in the future.

I like the autorouting of the GPS-V, and the active compass and barometer of the map 76S. Both are excellent under the wooden roof of my local Boater's World store--I get 3D lock with both on a regular basis when I'm testing them there.

I'd like to ask: Is there any degree of "more robustness" with one unit over the other? The V is heavy and has a tough case, and the map 76S is lighter--presumably to facilitate the floating.

If I go with the V, I'll get the Deluxe version (probably the only one available in late August, by then, anyway) with the updated City Select CD. Any comments to this for auto-nav in more rural areas, especially in Michigan?

Any stories using either of these units is, of course, always welcome, literary nut that I am. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm planning on using this unit for a lot of outdoor travel as well as in-vehicle travel. It will see use in both environments, so I'm looking for the most versatile unit I can find. I can always supplant the GPS-V's lack of an active compass and barometer with a stand-alone unit...so I'm just wondering if the V is the way to go for me, overall?

Thank you for reading this *dissertation* icon_wink.gif LOL

Best of Everything,

In Life, Caching, and All.

Sincerely,

Stephen Brown (Firefishe)

196939_600.gif

I have both the GPS V and the GPSMAP 76S and for my main use (driving), the V wins out over the 76S. You will be able to get more MapSource data into the 76S of course and the bigger screen may be a benefit to you. I do like the sensors in the 76S...and the elevation plot screen is very handy. I think for me though, the autorouting on the GPS V puts it on top...it's great to be able to enter an address/waypoint/POI and have the V guide you to your destination...even if you miss turns or take the scenic route 10 miles out the long way around, the V will still get you to where you're going. Both units are great....you have a difficult decision to make! icon_biggrin.gif

Stephen,

I live on the West side of the state, and use my V up north all the time. Even with CS 4.0(the old one), the coverage is good. I expect even better with 4.01. The autorouting is a champ, and I even use the autorouting to get me to the general cache location, then switch to 'offroad' to actually find the cache. Recently took a trip to Colorado, and the V routed me the entire way going seamlessly from base map in Michigan to CS maps loaded for the state of Colorado. The only bummer was watching the distance to final count down from 1200 miles.....hahaha.

Dave