Map software

When I purchased my Map76s one of the reasons was for more memory. The person I delt with didn't know the answer to the question. I am told that with 8 meg that I can download only one set of maps like topo for example. With the Map76s having 24 meg does that mean that I could download topo and roads/recreation for example?

The second question is how cluttered does the screen start to get with downloading these items.

Thanks for the feedback....

quote:
Originally posted by Team Golden:

With the Map76s having 24 meg does that mean that I could download topo and roads/recreation for example?

The second question is how cluttered does the screen start to get with downloading these items.

You can download a combo of Topo & Roads & Recreation in the same mapset,but you can't view them at the same time. You'd have to toggle back & forth between the 2, on the gps unit, to view either topo & r&r. When building the mapset, in Mapsource, just pick the map regions in topo, then switch to r&r (drop down menu up top,left)& pick your regions there. The regions can be the same. Then after they're loaded into the unit,go into the Mapsource menu,on the gpsr, & check or uncheck the source you want to view. You could view r&r until you get to the area you're headed & then switch to topo to view the land features etc. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

quote:

With the Map76s having 24 meg does that mean that I could download topo and roads/recreation for example?

You can download a combo of Topo & Roads & Recreation in the same mapset,but you can't view them at the same time. You'd have to toggle back & forth between the 2, on the gps unit, to view either topo & r&r. When building the mapset, in Mapsource, just pick the map regions in topo, then switch to r&r (drop down menu up top,left)& pick your regions there. The regions can be the same. Then after they're loaded into the unit,go into the Mapsource menu,on the gpsr, & check or uncheck the source you want to view. You could view r&r until you get to the area you're headed & then switch to topo to view the land features etc. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

Yes you could. But it's still nice to have 24 mb. of memory. You can load much larger areas, so you don't have to do it as often. I keep my MAP76 loaded with 8 mb. of Topo, but I've got Metroguide loaded in my StreetPilot & eMap, & City Select or Metroguide loaded in my V, for autorouting. Covers all the bases, but not the most economical way to do it. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

[This message was edited by Gimpy on July 14, 2002 at 10:47 AM.]

Yes you could. But it's still nice to have 24 mb. of memory. You can load much larger areas, so you don't have to do it as often. I keep my MAP76 loaded with 8 mb. of Topo, but I've got Metroguide loaded in my StreetPilot & eMap, & City Select or Metroguide loaded in my V, for autorouting. Covers all the bases, but not the most economical way to do it. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

[This message was edited by Gimpy on July 14, 2002 at 10:47 AM.]

I've got a Vista with 24 meg. I've loaded roughly 100 miles by 200 miles in both Mapsource Topo and Mapsource Roads & Recreation. With 8 meg figure a third or 100 by 65. Topo takes about 15 meg with 9 meg for Roads and Recreation for about the same geographic area. This will vary depending on geographic location.

See coverage map. As you can see it covers lower NYS including NYC and Long Island, northern NJ, parts of western Conn and Mass and a slice eastern PA.

It's nice to have the extra memory.

Alan

Inorder to have multiple maps in the 76S download different MapSource maps at the same time. If you download separately one map will erace the other. I'm currently using BlueChart and United States Topo in the Garmin 76S that were downloaded together. The maps cannot be used concurrently. The user must select the map to display.

The Garmin GPS V is the same in terms of having to toggle back and forth within the unit between map types. The only difference is that in my GPS V I have had three map types loaded at once - Roads & Rec, City Select, and Topo. If I forget to toggle the map sets on or off, and all of them are toggled on, then it appears that the City Select mapset dominate and act as default. If I want to see the other mapsets, I have to be sure to untoggle all the City Select maps first.

RB

I am told that with 8 meg that I can download only one set of maps like topo for example. ... The second question is how cluttered does the screen start to get with downloading these items.

Whoever told you this is wrong. You can load combinations of different maps into 8 MB - of course you can't have as many maps in total as you can get into 24 MB, but the limitation is total memory size, not number of map types.

When you do have multiple types of maps loaded, there is a heirarchy that determines which will be displayed - with the highest level map in a given area being the one that shows up - the heirarchy goes something like City Navigator, MetroGuide, Topo, Worldmap. To see the lower level maps you need to turn off any higher level ones in the same area.

Having multiple maps on the screen simulataneously would be very confusing since the same road might be shown in a slightly different location and you wouldn't know if there are two roads next to each other or just one road on two maps.

For my local area I have both MetroGuide and Topo maps loaded. I usually use MetroGuide, but sometimes turn off those maps when hiking so I see the Topo maps instead.

Figure out first all the maps you want and load up the max. For example, my post above loaded about 23.7 meg or 300K short of the max.

Let's say you going on a short trip and want to load a couple of maps from that area. well you have to start over because each load clears the map memory. So you select the two new maps plus most of the maps you had been using. Obviously, you cannot pick them all or you'll have over the 24 meg. So you delete the ones to your mother-in-laws house to make space.

Got it? icon_wink.gif

Alan

Figure out first all the maps you want and load up the max. For example, my post above loaded about 23.7 meg or 300K short of the max.

Let's say you going on a short trip and want to load a couple of maps from that area. well you have to start over because each load clears the map memory. So you select the two new maps plus most of the maps you had been using. Obviously, you cannot pick them all or you'll have over the 24 meg. So you delete the ones to your mother-in-laws house to make space.

Got it? icon_wink.gif

Alan