MAP76S Update V2.01

Thanks for the heads-up. I downloaded the update and wrote it to my 76S; everything went without a hitch. It's interesting that Garmin is continuing to add new features, not just fix bugs. So far I am very happy with my 76S.

"Decision making factor absent from brain"

Just tried to run MeMap on the new ROM and it turns the new text upside down and prints it backwards. Anybody else encounter this problem? Perhaps we need to pester Garmin into adding a personalization feature as a standard portion of the ROM import, because it would seem as though they don't want us doing it ourselves.

memap.jpg

Held on tight and waited through the two minutes of the upload and, sure enough, it worked!!!

The question still stands, though. Wouldn't it be nice of the Garmin people to add an officially sanctioned screen at startup that displays your contact information?

JC9000, I can't answer your question about the 76S for city navigation however, I can tell you that I have yet to lose a signal under heavy canopy. Yesterday I was hiking to an old aircraft crash site under heavy canopy and did not lose a signal until I placed the 76S into my backpack to retrieve my camera. The 76S is great. icon_smile.gif

JC9000, I can't answer your question about the 76S for city navigation however, I can tell you that I have yet to lose a signal under heavy canopy. Yesterday I was hiking to an old aircraft crash site under heavy canopy and did not lose a signal until I placed the 76S into my backpack to retrieve my camera. The 76S is great. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BusBoy:

Held on tight and waited through the two minutes of the upload and, sure enough, it worked!!!

The question still stands, though. Wouldn't it be nice of the Garmin people to add an officially sanctioned screen at startup that displays your contact information?

The update worked well for me and have seen no problems since updating. I like some of the new features.

MeMap worked well for me. As stated by others, the preview screen is backwards, but the update worked well.

The only reason I can think of for Garmin NOT making their own lawyer screen possible is that it would make it easier for the uninformed to change that screen should they find your GPS. ???

On JC9000's question about city navigation. The 76S has good memory capacity for downloading maps and a good screen size. It's helped me navigate some new urban areas. That being said, it does not do automatic routing as is with the V.

Good Luck!

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif

[This message was edited by Us 5 Camp on July 15, 2002 at 09:11 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team Golden:

Has anyone found a fix for the MeMap screen so it isn't backwards?

You probably know this already, but the MeMap displayed the text backwards on the computer screen, but the MeMap download placed the text perfectly to my 76S as others have mentioned.

I too would be interested to see if MeMap has fixed this slight bug.

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif