Garmin etrex legend and its navigation page...

Got one of these and the navigation page is a bit confusing to me (not a good sign when navigation is confusing -- isn't that the whole point of a GPS?) anyway, I have a question... On the "compass" of the navigation there are two possibilities for the arrow pointer in the middle of the compass. There is the bearing arrow showing where you should go, but what is the second arrow type for? It is the one called Course pointer. How is that used? Anytime I have used it, it seems as if it is pointing to where I have come from (behind me). Help? Any ideas? Thanks. Search1128.

icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Brangwyn, Holly and Cindy:

Is the one that I use, I find it is much simpler to have it set there, it takes you right to the location you are aiming for.

Bzz

I'm with you there! I find the Course Pointer confusing, and the Bearing Pointer does what I want. Points to the %&@#ing cache. Can anyone give a good explanation of when/what the Course Pointer would be useful for?

I use the course in my boat, you can project the route then if you deviate, you know how to get back on track. It is also useful when you use the sight and go feature on a Vista so you know how far off you are and can keep track of what you used for your starting points.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

quote:
Originally posted by Brangwyn, Holly and Cindy:

I find it easy to use the bearing pointer, head in the "right" direction on a beaten trail, and wait till the pointer aims perpendicular to the cache, then I turn in that direction and bushwhack.

Bzz

LOL Ain't that the truth! We do that when we feel very lazy and try to drive to a 1/1 cache. Drive past it, do a u-turn, and park the Jeep and start bushwhacking.

Opinions based on experiences with eTrex Vista...

Use Bearing!

On my first Geocache find, the GPS was set on Course. I walked right by it and kept going until I noticed that the distance was increasing. I started walking in a direction that decreased the distance. I finally found it after making a spiral around it.

It's not like I'm going to read the instructions or anything.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.