Canadian Top Maps

You can only load manufacturers maps to your GPS unit, e.g. MapSource to Garmin. ( I use Garmin's e-map which I got as a package with MapSource.Mapsource Canada Roads and Rec maps are not so good, but the included enhanced base map gives somewhat better info for lakes than the e-maps original base-map).

I bit the bullet and bought Touratech QV Navigators Ontario Topo maps on disc along with their moving map software. I can use this to manipulate tracks, waypoints etc. as well as to display them on the appropriate topo maps. One can always use this or a similar program to draw the outline of a map feature like a lake with tracks and then download the tracks to your GPS unit to create your own map of a place you are going to visit, depending upon available memory.

quote:
Originally posted by Ron & Val:

What hardware (GPS) and software would you suggest so that Canadian topographic maps can be downloaded to a GPS.

Paddle Slowly : The ride is over soon enough

[This message was edited by PartyChief on March 29, 2002 at 10:51 AM.]

[This message was edited by PartyChief on March 29, 2002 at 10:52 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

No consumer GPSr will allow the "upload" of raster images to their receivers.

However, a little over $100 for a reconditioned Palm m105 (https://store.palm.com/outlet/main.asp?parent=1012), another $35 for GPS Pilot Atlas (http://www.gpspilot.com/Atlas.htm ; you don't need Tracker because your GPSr can handle the "navigate to waypoint" function), and a tad more for appropriate cabling to hook the Palm to whatever GPS receiver you have, and you can use all kinds of raster maps. My Palm Vx currently contains 1000x1000 1m aerial imagery for each of 4 caches I plan to hit on the next trip, using just over a meg of memory. Topo maps would probably use less memory, because they tend to compress a little better.

Yeah, it'd be a little clunky, and you might look like Batman, but it'd work, and for a bit less than 300 Canuckistani pesos (not including shipping.)

There are a couple of options that I use. Firstly, I use MS Streets and Trips for an overview and driving directions.

For topomaps I've got a couple of options. I purchased a Fugawi CD that contains maps of part of southern Ontario. I found that it only has a viewer on the CD so you can't do much with it.

There are a couple of ways that I've handled this. I used to screen capture the area I wanted and then save the file and load it into one of two freeware programs, GPSUtil and GPSTrackmaker.

Unfortunatly calibration is very tedious.

I then found a script that converts the proprietory format fugawi uses to TIF. I converted all the maps and tried loading them in the freeware programs but they are huge!

I looked at demo versions of fugawi and OziExplorer and decided I liked Ozi best. Since Ozi will read the BSB format I can use the Topomaps that I bought for Fugawi with Ozi.

Here is what I do:

1. Download recent caches in .loc format and using Geobuddy turn them into .csv format.

2. Import the latest batch into MS Streets and Trips. This gives me the ability to really see where a cache is with reference to roads and towns.

3. IF the cache is in an area covered by my Fugawi maps (bruce trail mainly) I use Ozi.

4. IF the cache is in Southern Ontario but not covered by my Bruce Trail maps I use SoftMap.

5. If the cache is outside of this I use toporama.

An interesting note on toporama. A guy in these forums posted a message that he wrote a program that lets you convert the toporama .dat file from their FTP site into ozi .map files. It is very quick and rocks.

Ultimatly, I've found that I really only need to study the map and maybe print out the area in a 1 or 2 km radius of the cache anyways so all the neat features of Ozi is wasted.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

MRCPU

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the toporama - map conversion file would you? I've emailed the fella who wrote it a couple of times but never heard back from him. It sounds like it would make toporama calibration a heck of a lot faster.

BTW - has DND gone after you yet for using their logo? icon_smile.gif

ad astra, Rybren

MRCPU

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the toporama - map conversion file would you? I've emailed the fella who wrote it a couple of times but never heard back from him. It sounds like it would make toporama calibration a heck of a lot faster.

ad astra, Rybren

quote:
Originally posted by Rybren:

MRCPU

ad astra, Rybren

Send me an email directly and I'll see what I can do!

Re the logo: Well it IS a defunct unit now so.... icon_wink.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rybren:

MRCPU

ad astra, Rybren

Send me an email directly and I'll see what I can do!

Re the logo: Well it IS a defunct unit now so.... icon_wink.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif