Magellan Map330 vs Meridian

Guest lee_rimar

Guest lee_rimar

I just bought a Meridian, and compared to my Map330 the reception is very poor.

Has anyone else done head-to-head comparisons of these units?

The Meridian is so nice in so many ways, I had hgh expectations because the Map330 receiver is so good. But it was very disheartening to see the Merdian consistently catch fewer signals and lower strengths than the M330.

It's going back to the store tomorrow.

Guest ClayJar

In head-to-head tests with my MAP 330 and Meridian Gold, the Meridian Gold consistently has better reception. It catches locks sooner and keeps them longer. If you're having problems, perhaps you have a slightly off unit.

Guest loubob57

The first MeriGold I got was completely off, because it wouldn't turn on! But the second one works fine. I was in Washington D.C. last week and was using it as we drove through the city on the way to the airport. With buildings on both sides of the street I had no problem holding a lock. When going through some short tunnels it would "freeze" while we were inside, then there was a fairly short opening (like 150 feet) and it would manage to update before we went in the next short tunnel. I was impressed.

Guest lee_rimar

(cross posted from another forum)    

-- jvavrus@e... wrote:

> One needs to be careful when comparing GPS receivers.

> They ALL (not just Magellan units) generate GPS frequency

> signals as part of the process of receiving/decoding GPS.

> Some are "louder" than others.

> But, in general, putting two handheld GPS receivers within

> inches of each other can cause one to jam the other or both

> to jam each other.

> This looks like bad signal to noise in the jammed unit(s).

I considered this -- it's a lot like radar detectors, most of which "leak" enough signal to set off other detectors nearby.

But my testing consisted of:

1) Going for a walk wih my girlfriend,each of us using one unit, and ocassionally reading data to each other. Romantic devil, ain't I?

2) Taking each unit for a walk separately, several times, and taking notes.

For the first, the units were typically a few feet apart but sometimes within inches of each other. Interference did cross my mind. But for the second test, they were nowhere close.

One thing I've noticed is that several people have said their GOLD unit beats the M330. I had a base unit. I was under the impression that the Gold and the base Meridian units only differed in installed memory and basemap.

But maybe that's a mistaken impression? Perhaps the base unit cuts some corners in cantenna or circuitry? Or just factory quality control is lower, so units that are somewhat "off" slip into distribution?

If I get to repeat my tests with a Gold, I'll let you know!

Lee.