Software list:

Over a few months I have seen mention of several software programs for GPS use. But I do not think I have seen a list of them all compiled anywhere.

I currently have ExpertGPS and VisualGPS on my field laptop. I am satisfied, but there is always room for improvement.

What other programs are out there. What do you use, and why? Are they available on the web? How much?

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I also use the National Geographic (TOPO!) for Missouri.

Not for geocaching, but for transferring my tracks and waypoints to a paper topo map for the USGS.

I use waypoints and tracks to mark new roads and buildings, then bring them up in TOPO when I return home.

Then I can see exactly how to draw them on the map without all the triangulation that would normally be required, and is mostly impossible in hilly forested country.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

I have streets and trips loaded on a pocket PC. After I get properly setup, I will be able to add all the waypoints onto my maps there. This will let me plan my geocaching trips better. I also use National Geographics TOPO for printed maps. I currently have 2 states and soon will have a third. This is not cheap, but they are excellent printed references when I am trying to find a cache.

I made my own software called CacheMaps to pass through my cache waypoints to other applications and show maps.

I personally use (besides CacheMaps):

EasyGPS and OziExplorer

The following applications are currently connected to CacheMaps:

EasyGPS, ExpertGPS, G7toWin, GarTrax, GeoBuddy, GPSBabel, GPSUtility, OziExplorer, Watcher.

You can directly open online maps from:

Aeroplanner, Calle, Diane (NL), GeoSnapper, Jeeep, Locatienet (NL), Locatienet Classic (NL), LostOutdoors, MapBlast, MapQuest, MapTech, Ordnance Survey (UK), Streetmap (UK), Sustrans (UK), Terraserver, Tiger Census, TopoZone, Yahoo.

See my homepage for more details. You can also download CacheMaps here.

BigBird icon_smile.gif

-- there is no spoon --

My Software List.

National Geographic Topo Products.

EasyGPS (to upload waypoints, works better than NGS Topo...)

GPXview for the Pocket PC

MobiPocket for hte Pocket PC (still use both)

Plain old Pocket PC note for random info.

Mapsource stuff for Garmin maps.

Geobudder, Just in Case

GPSBable to make Topo waypoints and Streets and Trips pushpin files automaticly.

Streets and Trips 2003 for the PDA (Very handy)

Software on my check it out list.

ClayJar's Watcher

Ozi Exploere for PDA Topo's.

ExpertGPS for the Pocket PC (when it comes out)

Software tried and rejected.

ExpertGPS. I like it, but it's not quite like NGS Topo products. This may come back with the PDA version.

GPX Spinner, too much work to make it work.

GPX to HTML, too much work to make it work.

TopoSync USA for the PDA, has maps but no waypoint features other than typing one in at a time.

Wherever you go there you are.

I find it funnythat you think Spinner and GPS2HTML are too much work, They are quite simple and take very little time to futz with to get the content the way you want/like it.

Only problem with spinner is if you have a slow connection ( like me ) and them some times it can be a bit slow. That and downloading the content, but that why we have nighttime and sleep and secheduling of updates icon_smile.gif

I use the following :

Delorme SA 9 and 2003

National Geo TOPO MidAtlantic

EasyGPS

GeoBuddy

MapSource City Select ( for the GPS V )

Watcher

G7toWin

Plucker for my Palm

-Robert

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Software tried and rejected.

GPX Spinner, too much work to make it work.

I just released GPX Spinner 2.0 so I encourage you to take another look.

While I'll agree the documentation is lacking, which I plan to address soon, I think it is now much easier to use.

Initial setup, via an INI file, may take some thought, but once that is done, day-to-day use is a snap. Run Spinner. Run Plucker. Syncronize PDA. Done.

Please tell me how it could be easier and I'll see what I can do to implement it.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

Well currently I am using a "GPXRemailer" which I wrote. Also I am letting interested members of GGA members beta test it for me. If a Pocket Query with a GPX is sent to a special email address (provided to beta testers), my remailer creates a Plucker file for the palm and a PCX5 file for a Garmin GPS. Then it emails it to the geocachers email. When it creates the Plucker file, it does changes similar to GPXSpinner.

Take a look at http://www.quakemap.com

QuakeMap is all you need for geocaching with your Garmin eTrex or Magellan SporTrak.

Print aerial and topo maps, zoom in, load geocaches to GPS...

It has free trial, makes good sense of your GPS tracks and prints very useful aerial/topo maps (easy to navigate in the field).

Of course, allows off-line aerial/topo, loads .loc files and stores direct links to geocache pages (just click on geocache name on the map). Displays "found" information if you use Pocket Queries.

Happy trails!

http://www.quakemap.com - redefining Easy...