palm pilot

Leemann

Well, one is MobiPocket (free) that will allow you to carry cache descriptions on your palm. (Like the cache sheets, without pictures)

I use geocaching.com's Pocket Queries and send the PRC files to my Palm and carry all that stuff around without having to print each cache sheet.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

I use GPX2HTML and Plucker on my palm and it works great. It makes it very easy to have the details at hand when heading out.

I'd also recommend dropping the $30 to support the site. I did it before I realized just how valuable the pocketqueries were (in GPX format of course). Pay the $30 - support the site, and when you get the .gpx files - check out GPX2HTML and Plucker. Makes life simple.

With the snow putting a crimp in geocaching in the Northeast USA today - I'm hoping to take a few minutes and check out ClayJar's Watcher to see how that works as well.

I'm pretty new at this - but GPX2HTML and Plucker are strong recommendations (and Watcher appears worth a look as well).

Good luck!

p.s. Get a good case for your palm if you're going to take it into the woods!

I agree - please support the website if you are going to use its info. $ 30.00 is a very fair amount.

Bypassing its membership yet utilizing the great info provided will only lead to its premature end.

I'm sure Geoclipping is also another way to do the same thing but without the Geocaching.com info it is useless. Please support the source.

This added as an edit for general info only:

I've been playin around with a PalmIII for these purposes lately. The 2 times I've had it outside or even left it in a cold vehicle for an hour or so in subfreezing weather the LCD dimmed beyond use. This is a somewhat common trait of these screens I understand. Seems to be worse on the Palm. My Magellan screen was good all day today while the Palm didn't make it an hour in the car while I was out caching. Temp was only about 30F too - sort of a warm day as the weather has gone around here lately.

[This message was edited by maleki on February 17, 2003 at 06:59 PM.]