Tried out the GPS-V

Guest rogerswin

Guest rogerswin

I've always been one who tries to improve, or get the most out of any electronic gear I have. Probably a habit from amateur radio (WA6MZX).

Well, I recently received my Garmin GPS-V in the mail along with the also ordered GA 26C antenna. I used a cut-off broom handle so it would be about 10-inches above my head when placed upright in my backpack behind me. I mounted a 2-inch by 3-inch flat piece of thin steel plate on the top. By using the magnetic base supplied with the antenna, it is held in place right there behind and slightly above me as I trek (remembering to lean forward when going under low branches, etc.). I wrap the excess cable around the wood mast (pole) and hold it there with tape. This is an "amplified" antenna and I was dreaming of all kinds of great reception. Well, I wasn't disappointed! Now mind you, this was just one trip, but the results lead to more great expectations! I went looking for a local (So. Calif.) cache, "The Cabin Cache". This cache has a reputation for bad satellite reception at the cache location because of dense tree cover.

First off, I noticed I was getting a high reception reading on nine (9) satellites and WAAS differential positioning on sat. #47! The trail altitude was around 1800 feet. This was so exciting that I wanted to leave the gps on the whole hike and just watch it. I almost used up my battery power! This antenna also draws a little power from the batteries - but it's worth it! Just shut down when you don't need it. To make the story short - when I got to the cache, under the tree cover, I sat down next to the cache and maintained "Lock" on five (5) satellites! If they're up there, this rig will suck them in.

Roger

------------------

Guest Iron Chef

With WAAS on and an external antenna turned on for the ride, I'd make sure to bring plenty of spare batteries. :~) And invest in rechargables. I am interested in whether or not you tried the cache site without the external antenna attached and if so what the reception was? I've been thinking about spending the money for the antenna, but of course would find it helpful to get some testimonials that didn't come straight from Garmin. Some "real life geocaching" geocaching experiences. :~) Thanks in advance and I'm glad to see that you are enjoying your V!

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

I would be interested in hearing from any GPSV owners if the unit can be carried in a coat pocket like my Mag315 and still hold sat lock.

Contempating the GPSV or the Mag Meridian Platinum when it comes out this winter.

Guest Iron Chef

I want on a hike last weekend and I put the V in the top pocket of my backpack and let it do it's thing in tracking my movement since I was pretty sure where the cache was and only need the GPS to get close. It held the lock with no problem, just make sure that the antenna is pointing up. :~)

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest gstrong1

h the 27C external antenna, & the III Plus, out of the box, will hold a better satellite lock than the MAP on a regular basis.As far as putting the V in a pocket while treking through the woods, I think you'll have no problem. For the III Plus, I've got the Garmin carrying case with the belt loop.I spent the weekend up in the Adirondack Mountains of NY State & placed a few more caches.Temps were in the 20s with some pretty heavy blowing snow, so I carried the Plus on my belt, under my coat, with the antenna pointing up through the zippered opening in the case while heading up the trails. About 1.5 mile hike to the cache location & then back,all under some pretty considerable tree cover. Judging by the track I downloaded to Mapsource after my journey, it never skipped a beat. I've placed 21 & found 53,with the III Plus as my primary unit, & never even considered the external antenna. I needed one for the MAP76 because of bad satellite lock under real heavy stuff, & I wish my Vista had the capability of connecting one, but no problem with the Plus.I plan on getting the V, so putting it up against the III Plus will make an interesting comparison.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

I use the GPS III+ in my shirt pocket a lot. The thing I have noticed is if I am under heavy tree cover and have "Battery Save" on, then it will lose and regain satellite lock several times, but if "Battery Save" is off, it never seems to lose the lock.

Guest rogerswin

I haven't been able to get away for a good "under tree cover" comparison of the GPS V standard (supplied) antenna and the external GA 26C. However, I did a lot of open sky comparison and found that they are very close in performance. The external antenna picks up a few more of the weaker satellite signals located on the horizon. The main difference being that with the standard antenna, one or two satellite signals coming from behind you are blocked by your body. With the external antenna positioned above your head, you have a 360 deg. interception view (of course, you could always walk around looking like the statue of liberty and solve that!). I'll post additional info when I test under tree cover.

As far as placing the unit in your pocket, - the reception signal is instantly lost. However, the unit remembers and it appears that if you don't travel too far with it in your pocket, it again quickly regains lock when you take it out of your pocket. (I'm referring here to having the standard (supplied) antenna installed).

Roger

[This message has been edited by rogerswin (edited 14 October 2001).]

Guest Rich in NEPA

I find that I get a very significant improvement in signal reception and position accuracy using a remote amplified antenna, and it is particularly useful in poor reception areas. I wouldn't Geocache without it!

Here's my typical GPS outfit: it consists of a Garmin 12XL and a GA27C low-profile antenna. The antenna is attached to the visor of a baseball-style cap with Velcro and provides excellent visibility to the entire sky. I have a similar arrangement on the top of my cycling helmet.

For convenience I shortened the cable to 4 feet and installed a straight MCX connector. This length allows placing the receiver in a backpack or pocket for making tracklogs, etc. From the remaining piece of cable I cut off a 3-inch section with the original 90° MCX connector and installed the mating straight connector. This extra connection acts as a "safety link" by pulling apart should the antenna or cable get snagged by a branch. It's always kept attached to the receiver, as it also saves wear-and-tear on the receiver's connector.

p7020017cxm.jpg

pa140002cxm.jpg

~Rich in NEPA~

====================================================================

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

====================================================================

[This message has been edited by Rich in NEPA (edited 14 October 2001).]