Hypothetical (sort of) Question.

If you had a $5000.00 technology credit at work that you could spend on anything you wanted and you were really into Geocaching, what would you buy? High end GPSR’s or any cool things that would be related to this sport. (yes I am in this position.) icon_smile.gif And i am looking for suggestions on really cool gear. That Navitrak thing looks neat.

[This message was edited by Yak Man on April 17, 2002 at 12:02 PM.]

If I had THAT kind of money, I know exactly what I would get.

1) StreetPilot III with a 128MB card for those little road trips.

2) Either a 48S or a pair of the mapping Rinos for in the field

3) A laptop for loading fresh data to the 48S or Rino. (maybe and old Toshiba Libretto - awesome size).

And I would buy a second set of the above for my good friend, Harrkev icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yes. And a bunch of PDAs and digital cameras for creating that oh-so-special cache in the central Florida area -- definately the east coast of central Florida. The Melbourne area would be great for that sort of cache icon_biggrin.gif

-----

Any similarity between my opinions and reality is entirely coincidental.

--Harrkev

Originally posted by harrkev:

3) A laptop for loading fresh data to the 48S or Rino. (maybe and old Toshiba Libretto - awesome size).

Cool, I never thought about getting a Libretto. I have a Thinkpad but I am afraid to leave it in the car when I go caching. I don’t know what a 48s is. Is it a typo of the Garmin 76S? Right now I have a Street Pilot Colormap. I need a good handheld unit. I have an IPAQ but battery life seems to be an issue. I don’t see how it could last long enough to use a GPS out in the field. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

quote:
Originally posted by Yak Man:

Cool, I never thought about getting a Libretto. I have a Thinkpad but I am afraid to leave it in the car when I go caching. I don’t know what a 48s is. Is it a typo of the Garmin 76S? Right now I have a Street Pilot Colormap. I need a good handheld unit. I have an IPAQ but battery life seems to be an issue. I don’t see how it could last long enough to use a GPS out in the field. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Sorry. You are right. 76S. (I have HP calculators on the brain right now) Using a Libretto assumes that there is a way to load all of the Garmin software to the hard drive so that it will run without a CD-Rom drive. I do not know if this is possible, since I do not have any Garmin software.

I would not want to take a PDA into the middle of the woods. GPS receivers are designed to be oudoors and will survive little drops. Dropping a $400 PDA on a rock is not my idea of fun.

If you are carefule, Ozi Explorere is available for PocketPC devices. I cannot comment on its quality since I not have a PocketPC.

Windows is a necessary evil. I don't want to carry evil with me wherever I go. The new Sharp Zaurus running Linux -- that looks interesting...

-----

Any similarity between my opinions and reality is entirely coincidental.

--Harrkev

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge: A Navitrak would be on that list for sure.

The Navitrack Digital Navigational Assistant with an SD card reader and 128 MB SD card would be at the top of my list I think, followed closely by Manifold System mapping software and a really nice Dell laptop to run it on. Add a 76S (always cary a backup) and an external antenna, mounting accessories as needed and I'd say you're set.

The 76S is in the mix purely because the DNA uses a "viewfinder" type view rather than a screen. If you're not mountain biking or riding a motorcycle, snowmobile, jet ski, etc., that requires both hands (and eyes!), you can skip it.

AtP

quote:
Originally posted by JeepNAz:

The beta version (limited release, over now) was at appx 50% of the est final retail and that was around 625 $US ( I think)

See this thread for more info

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

JeepNAz@aol.com

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

JeepNAz@aol.com

quote:
Originally posted by harrkev:

Originally posted by Yak Man:

Sorry. You are right. 76S. (I have HP calculators on the brain right now) Using a Libretto assumes that there is a way to load all of the Garmin software to the hard drive so that it will run without a CD-Rom drive. I do not know if this is possible, since I do not have any Garmin software.

If you copy the Garmin MapSource CD to your hard drive and run the install app from the hard drive, the installer will correctly point the application to the maps on the hard drive and you can put the CD itself in a safe place.

quote:
I would not want to take a PDA into the middle of the woods. GPS receivers are designed to be oudoors and will survive little drops. Dropping a $400 PDA on a rock is not my idea of fun.

You can get a Palm PDA for under $200, but it's still not a good replacement for a semi-hardened consumer GPS. I've killed one Palm V already while hiking/geocaching and I don't care to do it again.

As for the $5000...

• (4) Garmin RINOs.

• Garmin MapSource MetroGuide USA. Throw away CityNavigator and CitySelect and get MetroGuide USA 4.0.

• Sony Vaio laptop with accessories or a PowerBook with Virtual PC.

• Good quality backpack with hydration system.

• 700W AC/DC power inverter. You can get bigger, but 700W should power your laptop, you battery charger and a few other items while in your car.

• iPod loaded with tunes.

• Good digital camera.

• 2 Dozen roses, something frilly, and a night on the town for the Mrs. since you just went out and spent $4000 on yourself.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

[This message was edited by TresOkies on April 19, 2002 at 09:11 AM.]